4X4 Snap Ring Pliers

Rate this topic

For the front 4X4 shaft axle shaft snap rings - those rings are pretty stout!  What is the best set of pliers? Or better yet, if you have an awesome set that works really well, what brand and what is the tool number?

I broke my old Snap-On pliers some time ago but I struggled with them mostly because they were not necessarily the right size for the application. Since money has been tight I have been borrowing pliers from  several guys. I can buy a set now and having tried a few am sure I like the Knipex  best as they seem to require less effort. Cant figure out the tool number though.

What say you?

I take these http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=647705&PartNo=SRP2&group_id=676033&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all and spread that snap ring a couple of times to make that snap ring submit :hammer: .... then use my snap ring pliers to remove it.

I use the one that Matt posted. But you have one way that it has to be to get the ring off. One of my co-workers struggled for better than a half hour with one on a 12 f250 the other day. Too stubborn to ask for help.

I use the Snap-On ones that Matt posted above. they are the only things I have seen that work but they are still a pain in the ass. because they are short and the snap ring is so tough, it is difficult to squeeze the pliers enough to have the ring open up to the point in which it will slide off of the axle nose. most of the time I end up having the pliers slip (not able to compress the pliers enough to open the ring) and then I slam/pinch my hands together and get very frustrated. its much easier to put the snap ring back on the axle as I put a flat blade screwdriver against my chest (opposite end against the snap ring) and while opening the snap ring with the snap ring pliers I push my chest/screw driver into the hub which helps get the snap ring to jump into the grove.

like I said this is the best I have seen at being able to take off the snap ring/ put on the snap ring...if there is a better option out there I would love to have it 

I struggled with the first ones i did when they came out then I bought the knipex one. Mine was from matco the part number is worn off the handle but its in this set. matco  set # SPRIE8

pliers.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Blue Point PR52. 9.5" long, Locking, and replaceable tips. Several different tip styles available as well, although I use them strictly for these clips. I got tired of breaking the tips off my snapon SRPC9000A pliars and having to wait for warranty all the time. Have yet to break the PR52s.

• 4 weeks later...

I took the recommendation Chris made but I chose to pruchase the Proto 361 for about $40 less the the Bluepoint one's. I am pretty sure the Bluepoint one's are just reboxed Proto and my Snap-on rep said the tips are not warrantied.20150714_181247.jpg

That's a brand new snap ring from a hub seal kit.

Glen nice bench, is that thing brand new?

Yes it is new https://www.sevilleclassics.com/rolling_cabinet_drawers_ultra_hd and I'm actually not done putting it together. It's going to go underneath workbench that I'm having made. When I get inside of my shop done I'll probably post some pics. I was able to put up a new shop almost 3 years ago and there's still some small stuff that needs to be finished.

• 2 weeks later...