check this out

Rate this topic

jimmy57, on 27 May 2015 - 12:36 AM, said:Has Quigley AWD'd one yet? You know it's got to happen.

I don't think it can with the current configuration. Have you been under a Transit yet? There is NO room for an axle and a driveshaft of any kind in my opinion. If I am not mistaken the Eropean Transit is available in AWD though... 

Designed specifically for ease of modification, Transit Motor-Caravans offer you real choice. The vehicles are available in a range of wheelbases, from 3.3m to 4.5m, so can accommodate lengths from 5m up to 7.7m. You also have the options of Front Wheel Drive (FWD), Rear Wheel Drive (RWD), or All-Wheel Drive (AWD) and three different engine power levels, all with 6-speed transmissions.

I don't know what the difference in the chassis is but Ford makes it. It does not appear to be available in North America at the moment. I imagine that since Mercedes now offers 4X4 in the Sprinter it will become available at some point. We shall see.

It looks like the front drive unit feeds off the side of the transmission like a PTO would. Anyone know if this is the case? Crazy thing is, this technology has been around since the first AWD Lamborghini Countach or earlier. Guess us North Americans are not ready to be caught up with the rest of the planet. 

I had two Transits in the air today for PDI's and there is DEFINATELY room for that AWD transmission and halfshafts. It will require a different sub frame of course. And, looking at the wheel and knuckle from underneath it looks like there is an open space to accommodate the shafts. There is a plug in the opening of the back of the wheel bearing hub that spins with the wheel. I bet an AWD option is in our future.

Notice in the picture Keith posted (I can't quote posts for whatever damn reason), The transmission connected to those driveshafts is a manual transmission. Why in the hell can't they make that an option for North American spec models too? Ditto for the small Transit. Are we perceived as the laziest culture around the globe, or what's the reason? It's getting ridiculous that people are getting into the habit of texting while driving. God forbid that another task be required for driving. I have to admit, I am pretty impressed by the size and seeming versatility of this vehicle, after now seeing a few in person. Only leaves me wondering if there aren't going to be any customers wanting a V8 though.

I love manual transmissions about as anyone but the reality is that they sit on the lot and collect dust in most model ranges.

If you ran a company you know you can hire people that can drive automatics but employees that won't destroy clutches and knock the points off synchros are few and far between.

In the last few years the traffic that so many drive in is another factor. I have a manual V8 sedan and a wagon turbo 5 cylinder sitting in the drive (not commuting in the F450 and buying 6 19.5 tires while hauling my one ass in the cab) and I drive the wagon. The times I drive the sedan I regret it. I feel like I'm unnecessarily being cruel to the release bearing and clutch disc. I grieve for the dual mass flywheel. I have no such emotions for the torque converter in the wagon.

The other thing that no longer holds water is manuals getting beter fuel economy.

In Europe M/T are the norm, I have friends there who have never driven an A/T and say the only people who have them over there are the handicapped.  In some countries the traffic lights there go red-yellow-green to give you advance warning to go from N to 1 as the light is turning. And 35-50% of cars are diesel as well as almost all small trucks/vans.

"sigh"

:mellow:

I love manual transmissions about as anyone but the reality is that they sit on the lot and collect dust in most model ranges.

If you ran a company you know you can hire people that can drive automatics but employees that won't destroy clutches and knock the points off synchros are few and far between.

In the last few years the traffic that so many drive in is another factor. I have a manual V8 sedan and a wagon turbo 5 cylinder sitting in the drive (not commuting in the F450 and buying 6 19.5 tires while hauling my one ass in the cab) and I drive the wagon. The times I drive the sedan I regret it. I feel like I'm unnecessarily being cruel to the release bearing and clutch disc. I grieve for the dual mass flywheel. I have no such emotions for the torque converter in the wagon.

The other thing that no longer holds water is manuals getting beter fuel economy.

We choose autos for that very reasons. 1 out of 20 guys can actually drive a manual without killing it.