Aftermarket Fuel Tank

Rate this topic

Just curious to know if anyone has ever installed one of these Titan tanks for any 2011 to current Crew Cab Short Box Super Duty trucks with the 6.7L diesel? Having to refuel every few days to fill up that puny 26 gallon tank is getting really old, really fast!!!! Apparently this tank is a 50 gallon capacity specifically intended for that exact cab and bed configuration. Those who have, or know anyone who has installed one of these tanks, what extra space does that extra capacity take up that the factory tank doesn't? Are there any issues with the tank sender during install? Are there any other issues I should be aware of, if I decide to pull the trigger on one of these?

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/ford-crew-cab-short-bed-super-series-2011-2012/

Mike, While I have not installed this exact tank, I have installed dozens of Titan aft-axle tanks. I have never had a problem with them. This includes a couple 2011 0r 2012 chassis cab trucks with the newer type sending units and they went together with no problems. From the looks of it in the picture, that tank is simply larger overall but definitely a bit longer on the front. I am wondering if that extended section on the front surrounds the DFCM which should not be a problem at all. From reading the description it hangs about one inch lower as well. If you decide to install this tank I am interested to know how the installation affects any shields you have around the tank. I have seen one installed on an older model year truck and it just looked like it was a bit tighter under the truck.

You WILL need to enter Programmable Parameters and reconfigure the tank size though. If I remember correctly the configuration is in the cluster. I recently had to eliminate a mid-ship tank and install an aft-axle tank and had to reconfigure the tank from 28 gallons to 40 gallons.

Good luck with the install - you should be fine. :thumbup:

I put one in a 2015 crew cab short box.  I had to notch the transfer case skid plate for clearance.  It was a poly tank and it fit ok.  Was able to change programmable parameters and make the dte calculation correct.  I did blow and clean out the new tank as it has some

small plastic pieces of debris out of the box.  Also it does not allow the factory tank shield. 

Just to throw this one out: You can get an in-bed toolbox/fuel tank combo and use a surplus in-tank pump to move into truck's tank via a a fitting you solder onto filler neck. Wire the pump to one of the upfitter switches and watch fuel gauge to know when you're done fueling as you go down the road.

Just to throw this one out: You can get an in-bed toolbox/fuel tank combo and use a surplus in-tank pump to move into truck's tank via a a fitting you solder onto filler neck. Wire the pump to one of the upfitter switches and watch fuel gauge to know when you're done fueling as you go down the road.

this is my setup...I did a custom tank in the bed that holds about 30gallons and does not intrude on too much bed space. I just plumbed it to the filler neck and ran a low psi electric pump wired to the upfitter. I also have a ball valve at the tank.  It was about 300bucks total so much cheaper then the titan options.

Only down fall is you need to flip the ball valve and pump switch to transfer fuel, worth while for the cost IMO

I do agree these 26gallon tanks are absurd on these trucks!

I used an inline check valve that takes a couple of PSI to push fuel through. It is an aluminum cylindrical valve with typical rubber hose barbs on each end. The check valve stops the in-bed tank from syphoning once electric pump is switched off.

• Like 2