What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Better you than me. Just curious, but are any of them pickup truck applications?

None. All are F450/550 chassis cab trucks.

Exactly as I suspected. Which was the point to my question. I read about a lot of cab and chassis trucks with these engines failing, but hardly ever any pickup applications, yet the output is derated on cab and chassis applications so there has to be a pattern going on here.

• Like 1

Well, the good news is that truck #3 was towed right back out when they were told it would be at least 6-8 weeks before the truck saw the shop. And, I don't care. I am becoming bitter as time goes on. All I do is transmissions and engines it seems like.

I got an 08 6.4 with a front cover leaking, a 14 escape trans that I can't seem to fix and neither can hotline. Outside I got an 04 6.0 with a popped egr cooler, an 08 F-550 that is supposedly in derate, an 05 6.0 with a supposed popped egr cooler and I just looked at an 08 6.4 with a messed up fuel system, it can't control the high pressure fuel properly.

Well, the good news is that truck #3 was towed right back out when they were told it would be at least 6-8 weeks before the truck saw the shop. And, I don't care. I am becoming bitter as time goes on. All I do is transmissions and engines it seems like.

That sounds like what I go through. Either doing everyone else's comebacks or all of the crap they can't handle while the other guy here picks up the easy diesel repairs because I'm so behind.

I've always been a little bitter about how this industry is but it's growing more and more by the day.

I am going to throw this out for the 450 550 failure pattern.

The last bearing failure 6.7 was a F-350 regular cab. It is a commercial truck that does nothing but tow a very large hog trailer.

Got a damn transit 3.2L in here with a P008A and P262A in memory, low pressure fuel switch doesn't go to "not-low" with the key on. Checked fuel pressure with 2 different gauges and its 10 psi (which it says no where that is within acceptable limits EXCEPT in the coffee table book). The fuel filter is clean but the the fuel switch reads open all the time. After a few hours of fucking around and second guessing myself I ordered a fuel delivery pressure switch for it, btw no procedure in the WSM for changing it. Had to go to the parts catalog to see if it was even serviceable separately.

Got a damn transit 3.2L in here with a P008A and P262A in memory, low pressure fuel switch doesn't go to "not-low" with the key on. Checked fuel pressure with 2 different gauges and its 10 psi (which it says no where that is within acceptable limits EXCEPT in the coffee table book). The fuel filter is clean but the the fuel switch reads open all the time. After a few hours of fucking around and second guessing myself I ordered a fuel delivery pressure switch for it, btw no procedure in the WSM for changing it. Had to go to the parts catalog to see if it was even serviceable separately.

There seems to be alot of sensors with no directions for changing them.

Got a 09 F-550 v10 dump here with lean codes and an FRP performance code. Another shop put a pump, sensor, filter and FPDM in it. In the shop I'm only seeing 20-25 psi of fuel pressure checked manually before the filter. This syncs up with my FRP reading fine. Even full fielding the pump by bypassing the driver still results in low pressure.

Good voltage, no resistance or voltage drop in any of the circuits. Can't figure out what it could be besides the new fuel pump, I'm going to SPW one and see. Gassers should have much more fuel pressure correct?

Got a 09 F-550 v10 dump here with lean codes and an FRP performance code. Another shop put a pump, sensor, filter and FPDM in it. In the shop I'm only seeing 20-25 psi of fuel pressure checked manually before the filter. This syncs up with my FRP reading fine. Even full fielding the pump by bypassing the driver still results in low pressure.

Good voltage, no resistance or voltage drop in any of the circuits. Can't figure out what it could be besides the new fuel pump, I'm going to SPW one and see. Gassers should have much more fuel pressure correct?

WSM posts 28-45 PSI engine running for a V10, 35-45 PSI KOEO

Fuel pump fixed the v10, fuel pressure switch fixed the transit. Tomorrow got a 15 F-250 6.7 with no brake assist, ordered a vacuum booster for it. That'll be the first one of those I'll change.

Manual gauge and FRP usually do Not match, here is a link http://www.underhoodservice.com/under-pressure-maintaining-fords-electronic-returnless-fuel-system/

Maybe this is what you meant by syncs up.. just making sure.  :shrug:

This is also posted in the WSM and probably in training, Sorry feeling lazy... I tried to find the info from a Ford document.

Just curious what year your Transit was? 2015 WSM list the spec at 4.4 - 11.6 PSI and PC/ED states anything under 2.5 PSI for 60 seconds will set the P008A

I am not trying to be a smart Ace, by the way. Just hoping to maybe save someone frustration on the next one. :cover:

On the v10 when my fuel pressure was low, 20-25 psi the manual gauge matched the FRP pid. After I replaced the pump the FRP was reading about 6-7 psi higher than the actual gauge. I forgot to mention that with pressure so low the IDS would not let me run the fuel system test, it failed it in the red for pressure. After pump replacement the test went right through.

The transit was a 2015. I'll have to double check the PC/ED, initially I couldn't find the info I was looking for

Tomorrow got a 15 F-250 6.7 with no brake assist, ordered a vacuum booster for it. That'll be the first one of those I'll change.

FWI: I changed one that was bugged by a vacuum pump that filled the whole vacuum system full of oil.  

Manual gauge and FRP usually do Not match, here is a link http://www.underhoodservice.com/under-pressure-maintaining-fords-electronic-returnless-fuel-system/

Maybe this is what you meant by syncs up.. just making sure.  :shrug:

This is also posted in the WSM and probably in training, Sorry feeling lazy... I tried to find the info from a Ford document.

That article appears to be over 10 years old, be careful.

:grin:

Here is some info I found in the PC/ED on the FRP in a gas engine.

Note: Most mechanical gauges are referenced to atmospheric pressure. The FRP sensor is referenced to manifold pressure. In order to make a valid comparison, the engine must be off.