What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Damn Chinese rims on that truck, I searched for hours today trying to figure out what they were or where they came from. No discernible markings anywhere except one little logo which I can't match up with anything.

image.jpg

My F-550 egr cooler turned into a whole motor. Low compression on cyl #1. Looked at a 13 flex ecoboost for no heat, found waterpump leaking out the weep hole. Looked at a 13 6.7 for a check engine light, it needs an egr cooler and primary radiator. Finally looked at an 08 F-450 that got towed in for a reduced engine power warning and runs like crap. It's only about 6" overfull on engine oil and has a cyl 2 and 7 misfire. Relative compression shows 12% low on #2. I still got that other 6.4 sitting outside with a possible dying fuel system waiting for further diagnosis. And I still got a 6F35 ripped apart from a 14 escape.

Had some weird intermittent flares, and came in with gear ratio error codes for gears 1,2 and 3. After chasing my tail with hotline and them having me replace ssa, ssd and then the main control and solenoid body I finally found a small tear in the forward clutch piston.

'14 F-250 6.7L XL 2WD in for 14E03 and check engine light on. Only code was a hard fault for a P0073 AAT sensor high input. Checked and found the right side exterior mirror looks almost brand new like it had just been replaced, no AAT. That was the easiest diag for me. You won't believe what the price is, for a new mirror without power or heat even.

While probably not the intention of this thread, here's what I've got in my shop at the moment.  A 1927 Rumely DoAll.  The rebuild is almost done.  Replacing the rusty steel wheels required taking the covers off the wheel pedestals, and swapping the bull gear to the new wheels.  This tractor has been a real project.  Most of the parts I needed to repair it had to be made.  My last expense will be getting a manifold cast for it.

A few pics for entertainment purposes.

20160219_183212_zpscejgec8f.jpg

20160324_122452_zpsqjkbypdg.jpg

20160324_113604_zpsenkcbwwv.jpg

• Like 1

There's a lot of "can't" and "won't" being spoken in the shop lately. As in "I can't do that" or "I won't do that"

I replaced an active torque coupling solenoid in an 08 escape today. It was a used car and no one would touch it because we didn't have all the special tools. All I needed to find were the damn puller fingers and the rest I made due without.

Also our oldest tech retired today. It was about 5 years too late but he's gone for good, that makes me the longest standing tech in the shop. :whipem:

image.jpg

There's a lot of "can't" and "won't" being spoken in the shop lately. As in "I can't do that" or "I won't do that"

I hear that alot too. But sometimes it's coming out of me cause they don't wanna buy equipment that we should really have, or repair what we have.

Also our oldest tech retired today. It was about 5 years too late but he's gone for good, that makes me the longest standing tech in the shop. :whipem:

We got one of those too. Only he's been like that for 5 years and he's probably gonna hang around for another 5 years. :banghead:

The worst part is he's letting all his certs drop as they expire and the management is letting him do it. Then they whine cause they gotta watch what kind of warranty stuff they give him.

Yeah we're in the same place, lots of tools need updated but management won't spend the money to hire techs that can make them money. We're in a hard spot right now, the shop just isn't producing.

Our old guy here was certified back in like 2000 but as long as I've known him he hasn't held one cert. Recently he let his emissions license expire and I thought they were going to fire him. Didn't happen though.

Various customer and used car inspections, a PDI.

In the line up: head gasket on a 2013 Ram 3500 6.7L

2007 F550: diagnosed 10" crankcase pressure, 3 dead cylinders on start up and 2 bad glow plugs, customer wants the glow plugs replaced... :scratch:

So I refused to work on the customer requested glow plugs in the 2007 6L that needs an engine...so far I haven't been fired... :whew:

Got another Dodge diesel lined up for lack of power/ rough running off idle lined up too. 

- 11 Escape with ESP ..... rear main leaking, oil pan leaking, ptu leaking, rear axle leaking

- 15 Explorer .... rear main leaking, PTU leaking from the intermediate shaft seal. converter rusted stuck on the flexplate at the pilot area, buggered up the bushing and possibly the pump 

Got an 02 Chevy C3500 dump here with some weird issues. It's got intermittent fuel gauge and abs false activation problems. Also the rear lights are all hacked up, customer didnt realize there's a rear junction block that controls them. Gotta find out why I have no voltage going into the module along with locating some plug and play lights.

2011 F-350. Spun rod bearings on #1 and #5 rods. Pistons contacted heads, left some nice valve impressions in #1 piston. Truck has 199,128 miles, and customer has ESP Diesel Care to 200k miles. Lucky me.

2014 E-250 with a 4R75 trans-sounds like planetary is coming apart. Warranty

2003 F-250 with a 4R100 trans- local city garage installed a reman Ford trans 1,400 miles ago. Brought it in due to it rolling in park. Pulled the extension housing and found the output shaft can be removed from the trans. Has damaged extension housing and case where the output shaft thrust bearing sits. Waiting to pull it down to see if someone at the assembly plant forgot the snap ring on the output shaft.

The customer with the F350 with spun bearings should go buy Powerball tickets to see if they can win a second jackpot.

Too many GM products. Both are 2006 2500Hd trucks and both are looking to have base engine problems. Put a fork in em !

So my F-350 with the 6.7 had spun bearings on #1 and #5, both pistons hit the head. Did a cost cap, it said replace so I gave ESP a estimate on 4-2-16  for a long block and sent in the pictures they requested on that day also. Now it's 4-6-2016 and I still haven't gotten approval yet. They had me do a estimate on a short block and 2 heads, then somehow our prices were way off. So yesterday around 4 they call me, we get everything figured out and guy says he'll get back with me. Haven't heard nothing all morning and it's really getting on my nerves.

My E-250 van with the failed planetary in the 4R75 trans also had multiple issues, direct clutch drum welded to planetary, input shaft bushings shot and worn into pump, etc. Cost cap said replace, but a replacement unit is 7-10 days out.

Was replacing a EGR Cooler Core under warranty on a 2013 6.7 yesterday. . It actually set the P2457 code during KOER test. So during reassembly, I cracked the bypass housing, and still waiting on one to arrive to finish the job. Probably done 50 or so coolers before, first one I've had an issue with.

Also have a 2012 GMC van with a Duramax that belongs to a local ambulance company. We serviced all their Ford vans before and they aint happy with the local Chevy dealer, so they have a mobile guy that once was our best tech here  come in and diag them and we do the repair. This one is getting a DOC, DPF,  and HC injector. Once I got the DOC out and removed the DEF injector, I found it clogged up so now I'm waiting on that to show up.

So as of now I have 5 bays tied up, waiting on parts and approvals. This week has just not went well for me so far.

Also have a 2012 GMC van with a Duramax that belongs to a local ambulance company. We serviced all their Ford vans before and they aint happy with the local Chevy dealer, so they have a mobile guy that once was our best tech here  come in and diag them and we do the repair. This one is getting a DOC, DPF,  and HC injector. Once I got the DOC out and removed the DEF injector, I found it clogged up so now I'm waiting on that to show up.

That's scary... a Dang good Ford tech diagnosing GM products :ohnoes:

How long before before your dealership has to seek his services.....Just kidding :haha2:

You should know him , it's Robby. He bought a bunch of factory scan tools and went out on his own doing mobile diagnosis and programming. Our dealership has used him 2-3 times a week since he went out on his own. And when the fleet manager at the ambulance company found out, he called him in to diag this one and have us install the parts.