What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Where do I start?

2015 F-250 Platinum. Was in for a service and fuel filters. Oil changer swears he put oil in it and service manager also states he watched him put oil in it. 5 seconds after start-up, it dies and won't crank back over.

2007 F-250. No start hot, builds 300 psi. Also #8 glow plug is bad. Has ESP coverage.

2008 F-450. Getting internal trans harness, temp blend door motor, cleaning low pressure fuel pump housing for WIF light staying on, front crank seal, and oil change.

2008 F-450 boom truck. Waiting to finish diag, runs rough, builds no boost, uses 1 gallon of coolant per day. Already had a complete installed 3 years ago.

2016 F-250 already completed TSB 16-0041. Now waiting on the cage damper for TSB16-0087 bed vibration. It's on backorder till July.

2015 F-350 that belongs to my service director, low pressure fuel pump went out while he was camping over the weekend.

Another 2016 F-350 coming in next week for TSB 16-0041(runs rough during regen).

And waiting for approval for a complete 6.4 install on a local propane company truck. Was towed in from another shop, was told it had fuel in oil. They pulled glow plugs and stated engine was locked up. I verified engine was locked up and quoted a complete engine. 

Chad, was your internal trans because of a trans temp sensor issue/code???

I had to resort to replacing idler pulley bearings on a GM 3.5L because I could not get the OE pulley today & the AC Delco pulley had a wobble...The Nachi bearings I put in will probably outlast the car.  :)

- 13 Focus DPS6 for a clutch shudder. Found rear main leaking.

- 12 Focus DPS6 for intermittent lack of any forward or reverse gears. waiting on a TCM

No I'm having to replace the internal harness because someone else already had. The problem was they didn't remove the valve body to replace it. So when they installed the new harness, they forced the connector through the valve body and cut the o-ring that seals it to the case. I had a rather large leak right at the connector. Once I removed it, I saw where they used a large set of pliers to force the connector through and had damaged the wires.  Other wise, anytime I get DTC's for trans temp sensor circuit codes it always gets an internal harness and TFT sensor.

Got a 6.4 getting the cab pulled for broken exhaust manifold bolts and a leaking turbo drain tube. Also got a 6.0 here that has a cracked y-pipe and needs some injectors. A 6.7 pickup that has no brake assist AND our tranny guy walked out today.

Two fun ones in a row,

2005 F-150 no start another shop installed a fuel Pump relay mod, They forgot to snap the connector on the module. Guy made it far enough to get a tow truck to pull it here.

2016 6.7 guy had another shop install a triton oversized fuel tank. He made it far enough to get towed here as a no start. Fuel line at top of tank off was not snapped or locked on tank fittings.

Another good on 6.4 Doing a high pressure pump. Looked inside one lifter lobe on cam almost gone. Roller on tip of lifter gone. Turns out guy just bought it. He was telling us how he could not believe he bought this 6.4 with 200,000 miles cheaper than a 6.0. I think he knows now why that is.

Well just to update my list from last week... 

My 2015 F-250 with a locked motor got a short block, customer picked it up today.

2008 F-450 belonging to gas company got approval for a complete engine. Just waiting on room in shop to get it in.

The 2007 6.0 truck got an glow plug control module and dummy plug.

I now have a 2001 F-250 getting a high pressure oil pump, oil cooler O-rings, and a transmission installed.

2007 F-250 getting head gaskets, studs, coolers, updated stc fiting, dummy plugs, etc.. All customer pay.

Another 2004 with I think a blown EGR cooler that has the engine locked up. Customer states it was running hot and using coolant, wouldn;t restart. Try to start it, the starter just grinds against the flywheel. Gotta get it in and plug glow plugs sometime.

And my service director's 2015 F-350 is back, setting P008A again and putting up low fuel pressure again. I put a low pressure pump on it last week. Looks like I'm gonna pull the tank and see if something is in the sending unit blocking the intake.                                                                                                                                                                      

I think every 6.4 high pressure turbo I've ever seen leak at the drain tube wound up needing a turbo anyways.

This one's no exception, if you look at the green oring it's cooked and hard as a rock. I bet the rotating assembly is dragging from coked up bearings and getting super hot. It is leaking oil out of the turbine seal too confirming it needs replaced.

This one is getting replaced with a reman turbo from a core complete that's been in the back of the shop for months.  The HP turbo from that engine is only got maybe 30k on it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Matt, that is a very interesting observation. I will almost not even work on a high milage 6.4 without running a relative compression test with my Pico first. I am not sold on the IDS for a RC test on 6.4

The sad part is this is not a high mileage unit. It hasn't even cracked 70k and this is the second time the cab has been off.

I have no idea why it was off the first time but it has all the telltale signs and what's weird is no warranty history.  I did run relative with IDS and it flagged #8 down 1% which is not a good sign but far from unusual. 

Sold camshaft, lifters and rocker arms on a 2010 6.4L. Another dealer heard the popping, looked at the mileage and tried to sell him an engine. 

Retail EGR cooler and turbo coolant line, 2011 F350.

EGR valve and housing 2008 F550.

Left side injector harness 2009 F450.

Today I fucked around with 2 newish F-150s with sync issues. One is a gen 3 system our tech who just quit put a FDIM in. Sometimes the display won't power down at key off and the APIM gets smoking hot. Hardware test won't let me put one in it though.

In my one bay is a F-550 getting rear pads and rotors, a RF speed sensor and some wiring for the body lights. In my other bay is a 15 F-550 dump that needs an upper oil pan reseal.

Outside is a newer v10 E-450 bus with tranny issues. Also the 6.0 with a cracked Y-pipe? The guy wants me to weld a new flex joint on it.  I think it's doable, I'll post pics if it works, for now it's pushed to the back of the line. 

Finally getting around to installing my 6.4 complete that was sold over 2 weeks ago.

Just finished up 3 Certified Preowned Truck inspections. I like them as we charge 4.0 hours just for performing the inspection and performing all the services. Anything we sell over that( tires, brakes, etc)  gets added in. I average 8 hours on each truck.

Finally got my 04 6.0 in that's hydrolocked. Has a cheap aftermarket starter on it that broke the nose cone apart when customer tried to start it. Sold head gaskets and coolers on it.

Got a 15 F-250 that customer states A/C not cooling, High side builds over 500 psi before PCM shuts compressor off. Customer also states over heats when using A/C. Out of base warranty with 46K miles.

And a 2012 6.7 in for 15m02 EGT sensor.

Still got a dozen tickets to look at sometime, but my 3rd tech gets back on Monday from Diesel Performance class and we have a new tech starting August 1st so hopefully it will ease the work load. Been staying till 8:30-9 nearly every night trying to get all this work done. Been enjoying the pay out of it, but it's starting to take it's toll on me  physically.  Heck I got to work this morning at 4:45 trying to beat the heat. Been high 90's last few days with heat index of 105-108 with 50-80%humidity and pop up thunderstorms. Nothing like summer in the south :)

• Like 1

Ditto on that, I came in at 5 AM this morning, every door up and every fan on.  :(

An unforeseen benefit of the 88/90f highs when I was in L.A., I managed to get used to the temperature whilst down there and the high temps here of a mere 82F don't bother me anymore. 

Ditto on that, I came in at 5 AM this morning, every door up and every fan on.  :(

I finally re-opened my doors today, A/C is nice but I like the fresh air better.

90 at 6am?  Holy crap.

It was 76, outside, inside the shop was 95.  Opened all the doors at 730, it got down to 84.  Humidity increased all day.  This is getting old.

I have no idea how you guys down south deal with the humidity. 

My shop is air conditioned and I'm not even down south. In the last few days I did a headliner, fuel pump and LOF in a '67 Vette, an LOF on my wife's Camry, and a headlight motor in a '63 Vette. On the run stand is a fresh 1600 VW motor I built with a couple of hours run time on it. On the burner is a '65 VW bus I'm restoring, it will need about 200 hours of mig welding to get it usable.

None of it was flat rate, and rarely do I work on something with a computer. :grin:

I'm putting together that 6.0 that needed a y-pipe flex welded in and turbo cleaning. I frequently get caught off guard when I think I can weld something then I remember I am extremely out of practice. I also tried to use 308L wire out of the MIG since the flex and oem pipe are some grade of stainless. I wasn't ready for how different stainless wire welds. I did get it done, it is not pretty but it will work for a little while. I'll spare you pics of the final product for now.

The way I did it was to put the y-pipe in and tack the flex into place with it bolted to the manifolds and turbo. That way it insures a no stress fit and no leaks. I also used a heavy duty replacement flex that's designed for turbo applications.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Here is why you should reconsider using an aftermarket air filter for your 6.7. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this

reminds me of the 7.3 days! Saw so many of those it wasnt even funny.