What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

F59 is 6.8 with a 5R110. Have not had a chance to get it in yet. I don't do much tranny work so I'm in for a learning experience. I saw tsb 16-0057 but this truck didn't set any codes. I was going to follow the symptom chart and put a pressure gauge on it but our trans. guy said don't bother just pull the pan down and look for metal.

Clutch pedal and front strut on a 15 Fiesta.

Front and rear brakes, 4 TPMS sensor on a 13 F150.

Got an Edge coming in for a fuel tank tomorrow.

Lincoln mkc trans overhaul. The torque converter is blue. Also 2005 6.0 blown out stc fitting o rings. It had stc fitting replaced and bracket added over 200k miles ago. It's a service truck so I am sure a pile of hours

'11 Fusion lower control arm has the flange broke on the steering knuckle to control arm sleeve/bushing. I have never seen one break. Ford does not sell just the bushing it comes with the steering knuckle. I take it no one else sells the bushing?

We have a 09 AWD MKZ here for a driveline noise so the other day we ran it up in the air and verified no power flow through the PTU.  We'd just assumed the insides of the PTU ground away to nothing and quoted one out.  I have seen completely rounded PTU pinion teeth before so I didn't think anything of it

Today it comes out and not only are the input splines ground out on the PTU but the female splines in the transmission are gone too.  Ground away to dust.  This is an AWF21 aisin trans so no serviceable internals.  The PTU itself still rotates freely, I could imagine if it bound up it could cause this. 

Once again I have no idea

We have a 09 AWD MKZ here for a driveline noise so the other day we ran it up in the air and verified no power flow through the PTU.  We'd just assumed the insides of the PTU ground away to nothing and quoted one out.  I have seen completely rounded PTU pinion teeth before so I didn't think anything of it

Today it comes out and not only are the input splines ground out on the PTU but the female splines in the transmission are gone too.  Ground away to dust.  This is an AWF21 aisin trans so no serviceable internals.  The PTU itself still rotates freely, I could imagine if it bound up it could cause this. 

Once again I have no idea

Same thing happens to Hyundai Sante Fe with 3.5 and Aisin 5 speed auto. 

The transfer box (their speak) begins to grenade, and the input shaft to the box begins to move, it then tears up a tiny seal INSIDE the hollow transfer input shaft that also allows the right front axle to receive drive.  These start leaking atf from between the transfer box and trans.

Once that happens, the trans is a throw away.  A new trans is pretty cheap, 1600 list, the transfer box.... 3600 list  Ouch.  Last one took 3 used boxes to get a good one.

In had to take my angle grinder with a carbide bit to every one of those harness plugs. Even had the valvecover off to try and push them out from the inside. No deal

04 6.0 with 150k. Never been apart past cleaning the turbo

In had to take my angle grinder with a carbide bit to every one of those harness plugs. Even had the valvecover off to try and push them out from the inside. No deal

04 6.0 with 150k. Never been apart past cleaning the turbo

Amazing how bad those o-rings bite in ain't it?
  • Like 1

I've got at 15 F-550 here.  Has DTCs P0170, P207F, P229F, P242A, P242B, P246E and P2A01.   It has about 80k miles on it.  Been to 2 other shops for exhaust related faults.  One was a PM sensor, the other was NOx11 and Nox12.  I'm going to reprogram, replace EGT13 and 14 and drive it to see what else is up.  I can see the PM sensor wiring rubbing a u-bolt for the body.  Pulled it away for now, one black wire looks like it's all the way through.

Got a 08 F-550 rollback in here that needs 2 up-pipes and a RH manifold.  I stole some newer looking up-pipes off a core engine that came through here, they can have those if they choose. 

Also a 16 MKX showed up today with the beloved 2.7L ecoboost.  P0305.  The new guy here starts to pull the spark plug and it galls up and stops.  I came over, worked it back and forth a little and got it out.  The plug is rusty as hell and pulled 3 or 4 threads out of the head on its way out.  Look over at the coolant bottle and it's empty.  I've got coolant consumption in the #5 cylinder for sure as #4 and #6 are dry and clean.  This one needs the head yanked off.

Got an 06 F-150 here with a parasitic draw.  Found the headlights staying on intermittently.  Unplugged the VSM and they went out and my draw goes away.  Tried to program a new VSM, won't go.

There's a 15 or 16 police explorer here that has the independent liftgate locking feature.  The customer hates it and wants it disabled.  I hotlined it, they told me it's not possible and I relayed the info to them.  Not good enough.  The customer calls the upfitter and they said it can be disabled but gave vague details on how it's possible.  Now I'm supposed to put the puzzle pieces together and figure it out. 

That isn't all but it's all I can type for now

Changed 2 EGTs and updated the PCM calibration and drove that 15 F-550. After about 6 miles P0170 returned. Followed pinpoint test MX, replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF and installed a good cold side cac tube I had, the old one was leaking around the throttle plate. Cleared the MAF tables this time and drove it about 20 miles, no DTCs returned....yet. Don't know if this ones fixed or not

Front crank seal on a 2008 Pontiac G6

If it's a 4 cyl. GM has a PI document for replacing the seal, harmonic balancer, bolt, and drive belt.

I check PCV flow also.

It was a V6. It also has an oil pan leak, but the customer doesn't want to spend the 6 hours to replace the gasket just yet.

Also have a steering rack on a 2011 F150 that intermittently jams up, along with both lower ball joints.

2010 F150 5.4L Timing chain guide in pieces. Getting all new timing components and pans getting dropped to retrieve the rest of the guide.

2014 F150 getting a retail 6.2 long block. Cab lift because of the Roush supercharger. Metal went through the supercharger as well. Found #2 wrist pin sitting on the skid plate. Having issues uploading pictures. I took a picture looking through the hole in the block, you can see the bottom of the cylinder head, turns out #6 was the one that grenaded. The intake valve is in the pan, along with the piston. The truck is being put back to stock and traded in.