What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

a rear hub on a F450 that someone left loose during rotor replacement (200 miles ago). Lucky the hub didn't damage the axle tube, it wouldn't have been much longer

I wonder if the previous shop used new nuts usually the spring tension is weak or the teeth have wear.

A 91 F150, in really nice shape.  It was still running poorly after someone had tuned it up, installed a new distributor and most of the sensors.  It did lots of dopey stuff.  One second it was firing the coil in rapid succession.   The next time it did it shut the injectors off.  Never the same trick twice.  

PCM is bad.  The caps leaked on the board, and one was even missing one lead.  Has 2 hours in the diagnosis, but at least I didn't have to toss any parts at it.

IMG_20170618_104955420_zpsifuxx17r.jpg

IMG_20170618_104420635_zpsgujhixtz.jpg

IMG_20170618_104353508_zpsqf7ypnag.jpg

• Like 1

a rear hub on a F450 that someone left loose during rotor replacement (200 miles ago). Lucky the hub didn't damage the axle tube, it wouldn't have been much longer

I wonder if the previous shop used new nuts usually the spring tension is weak or the teeth have wear.

The right nut had chisel marks on it and the left nut had nothing.  I do believe they weren't equipped with the knowledge or the tools to do the job properly. 

The right nut had chisel marks on it and the left nut had nothing.  I do believe they weren't equipped with the knowledge or the tools to do the job properly.

What would the formula be to calculate 18 or 70 Lbs. with a hammer & chisel :chinrub2:

99' 7.3L ESOF hub leaking vacuum. Had to remove the rotor to pinpoint the leak, I have never had the bearing leak. Smoke machines are a great invention. This one would leak vacuum & smoke until you spun the bearing then I would not leak smoke until after you pulled a vacuum on it.

Hub - Copy.jpg

13 f-550 finning service truck on my hoist, cab is off engine torn down to heads. Overheated it as the toolbox heater lines broke and ran it out of coolant at high load / high temp. heads are warped and cylinder walls scored. Waiting for approval to put an engine in it. So now I have the cab off a 13 f-150 ecoboost on another hoist for timing chain and vct rattle on start and leaking rh exh manifold. Just finished a retail trans on a 13 escape awd for the final drive all piled up. Man are those no fun...Nice to finally have some work other than 6.7l cel's and fmpp services.

Not just under warranty but easy obvious jobs that are pathetic they didn't fix. Today's example guy been in 4 times wrench lite coming on losing Speedo on f150 the dealer told him if doesn't act up can't find. Obviously just a leader frame had oss code and tsb for it.

Not just under warranty but easy obvious jobs that are pathetic they didn't fix. Today's example guy been in 4 times wrench lite coming on losing Speedo on f150 the dealer told him if doesn't act up can't find. Obviously just a leader frame had oss code and tsb for it.

We had one of those from another dealer.

I just finished an engine replacement on a '17 Transit with all of 1120 kilometers on it, when it arrived on the hook with cylinder #3 rod shattered, leaving pieces of piston and the wrist pin in the sump. This too, was a 3.5 Eco engine. I couldn't believe I was asked to submit pictures before being approved for a long block. Also not in a big hurry to do another engine replacement on one of these Transits again.

Mine is not an EcoBoost. Bottom end is good, cams are not scored, no metal in the pan. Suspecting pistons or cylinder wall issues now.

Just finished a torque converter in a 2016 F150 with a 5L. That was a nice bowl of gravy, I must say.

My 3.5L with 9000 KM's on it is so carboned up that one piston was hitting the build up on the head. We took a sample of the fuel and it has either diesel in it, or some kind of additive that shouldn't be there. It's way too oily and burned black when lit, and left an oily residue on the floor.

My 3.5L with 9000 KM's on it is so carboned up that one piston was hitting the build up on the head. We took a sample of the fuel and it has either diesel in it, or some kind of additive that shouldn't be there. It's way too oily and burned black when lit, and left an oily residue on the floor.

What do you mean you can't run diesel in an ecoboost???? It's got a turbo for pete's sake.

This one is not an Ecoboost. It's a flexfuel 3.5L. Maybe the guy thought flexfuel meant it could run on diesel.

• Like 1

Looks like the V-6's are taking a beating lately.....I gotta '16 Explorer 3.7L with a windowed block, more like a breeze way, the 4th rod got both sides.

Mine was #3 and #6 on the Transit. And here's another funny joke. On that repair, the only other part that was charged out on the work order, other than the long block itself and two jugs of coolant, was a right side turbo oil supply/drain tube assembly which could not be reused due to kink damage caused by the rod when it ejected through the block. Yesterday, my parts manager told me Ford wanted the part back.