2007 f-350 abs bleed

Rate this topic

Been away from the ford dealer for a while.Do I need a scan tool to bleed the abs on this?Replaced a caliper that blew apart from not changing the brakes.bleed brakes and can barely get a pedal.thanks.

How did you bleed it? When working with this situation I like to crack the bled screw and have someone push the pedal down, then close and release the pedal. Do this until you get fluid, then do the pump and hold method. You may already know this, but thought I would throw it out there. There is the possibility the master cylinder has been damaged.

And..yes, you do need a scan tool for the ABS bleed, not most times it's not needed. And you need to have the regular system bled first anyways, so it won't help you. 

As Matt  said, check all the caliper pins.

And do not forget to go drive it. You can convince yourself the pedal is low because you lose the feel of how much pressure is needed to stop vehicle. The amount that feels like a mushy pedal in the bay may be 4 wheel ABS activity from wheels trying to lock when you drive it.

• Like 1

Dumb question... Which end of the caliper is the bleeder on? Top or bottom?

What Zach said... :cheers-jeers:

Also when a line blows or even when bleeding the brakes one thing that can happen when the pedal goes past it's normal travel area is this can over-extend the master cylinder piston causing the seal to get scratched resulting in pressure loss inside the MC. This can be verified by blocking off the MC ports and seeing what happens to the pedal.

Before I had the ability to ABS bleed vehicle I would just go out and do some ABS stops. If you also put new pads on I would recommend doing this when the pads are cool.  We used to do this all the time on older E-Series vans, I can't remember if the NGS didn't do ABS bleeds or this method just worked better/faster. Try this when a customer complains about low pedal on a SD or Excursion.