ATTENTION: Dealer Principal Sales Manager Service Manager

Parts Manager Warranty Administrator

SUBJECT: Safety Recall 16S32:

Certain 2015-2016 Model Year Transit Vehicles Equipped With a 3.2L Diesel

Engine - Fuel Injection Pump Replacement

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Vehicle Model Year Assembly Plant Build Dates

Transit 2015-2016 Kansas City July 15, 2015 through April 14, 2016

Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your

dealer, you can access the On-line VIN Listing through the F.S.A web page on INFORD.

REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL

In the affected vehicles, scuffing of the g-rotor within the fuel injection pump may create metallic

debris which can contaminate the fuel system. Depending on where the metallic debris collects

in the fuel system, it may cause the fuel injectors to become clogged. If this occurs, the driver

may experience a no-start condition or a stall without warning while driving and no restart

capability, increasing the risk of a crash.

SERVICE ACTION

DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any of the affected vehicles involved in safety recall.

A complete Dealer Bulletin is expected to be provided to dealers the week of August 28 when it

is anticipated that parts ordering information and repair instructions will be available to support

this safety recall.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

Owners of record will be notified via mail after repair instructions and parts ordering information

have been provided to dealers.

QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE

For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Centre (SSSC) via the

SSSC Web Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the

Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the

OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.

Field Service Actions Department

Funny that should pop up. I was told by an engineer last week that the 3.2L diesel has a proven track record of little failures over in Europe. They bring it here and this happens... :chinrub2:  Doesn't say much for our diesel fuel quality now does it?

I love how every one of these recalls that "could result in vehicle stalling may increase the risk of crash". If everyone would just put down their phones and remember how to drive and not be ready to sue the crap out of someone over every little thing life would be so much better.

Wow, I was just looking through the workshop manual procedure to do this. According to SLTS, I get 9424A for 4.9, 9424AXQ for 0.2 and the pump itself 9424A10 for 2.1 which gives us a grand total of 7.2 hours. So what is it actually going to pay under the recall, 6.0 hours? That intake manifold must be pretty difficult to remove if it pays that much.

I don't think this has anything to do with the fuel here in North America. This does not affect all of the vehicle's production - only a specific date range. "In the affected vehicles, scuffing of the g-rotor within the fuel injection pump may create metallic debris which can contaminate the fuel system." That statement tells me there is a known defect with certain fuel pumps.

Funny though, this notice was posted a week ago here in the US.

• 2 months later...

Sorry, couldn't resist. I have never done one and hope to never do one. But there seems to be a lot of chatter about the pump gear and timing. So I would be very cautious when getting to the point of pressing the gear on and off the pump. It seems that if this part of the operation goes South then you have to pull the whole timing cover to fix it. I don't know just what I have been reading.

I'm waiting for one to to in. All the parts are here, it's running good, so I won't know the extent of the repair till it gets here. It also has a few oil leaks from the front and rear covers, so I will be dropping the engine and doing it all on a stand.