IDS where to buy?

Rate this topic

Well I am tired of fighting with aftermarket tools that give false information or just enough to be dangerous.  I am going to buy IDS.  Have been doing some internet browsing and found the VCM for around 1500.   My question is when you buy a vcm does it come with the ids software or is that a separate part number you need to order on top of the vcm?  Has anybody dealt with dealershipcloseouts.com before?  I was going to order from rotunda but than thought I ought to shop a bit and see if there is a better price for the same product. I don't really care if it is new or used from a cloing dealer as long as it works. the website above offer dealer tools and equipmenmt including ids, tech 2, drb3 and the like.   I don't really need the module programming and calibration files. Programming would be nice if a pcm replacement was needed but I really want the tool so I can accurately diagnose 6.0 trucks, and maybe venture into 6.4's if the come around. I have turned down a few 6.4 projects for the reason of not having ids. Im at the point of not doing anything 6.0 or newer because the aftermarket stuff is just missing the critical tests.    twice now I have used my solus and it flags a failed injector that is not the failed injector, it says 1 is the low contributor when in fact it is 3.   Im over it, the wasted time and lost money I could have bought 2 ids's probably by now.   thanks for the advice and opinions.

It may be frowned upon by some by admitting this, but my personal VCM(not the vcm2) is a chinese clone unit i've had for probably 6-8 years now with no issues. It has full functionality as the one while I was at the dealer. However when the updater would run and connect to the internet it would disable the programming options but everything else was still functional, but I could get programming back by deleting all the IDS files and reinstalling. Worked great for the 7.3/6.0/6.4s I did as well as the gassers, just wouldnt work on the new stuff that requires the VCM 2 and I just didnt have any experience by then with them so I passed on those vehicles anyway.

• Like 1

Just for your information IDS replacement is being worked on and vcm 1 will not work with the replacement.

Now that I didn't hear yet. But my fse told me this week that there is a new vcm coming out next year that has the vmm built into it. The only issue is that it's supposed to cost $3000 to $4000.

Yes, the new one is the vmm replacement. It is called vcmm and is intended as vmm replacement. I have held the new vcmm in my hand. Well, at least a prototype when I was in Dearborn for trp meetings. The vcm 2 will continue. I also was picked to do a useability test on the ids replacement.

Probably your best bet is to purchase a GENUINE VCM-2 from your local dealership that you deal with and buy parts from. If you have a good relationship with them you might get a really good deal.  My dealer ordered mine and charged me cost. Maybe you could ask for a deal like cost +10%  The IDS software is subscription based and a  license can be purchased from Motorcraft.com

I was just looking into upgrading to the VCMII soon as well to keep up with the new stuff. A fellow tech has a personal VCMII that he wants to sell since he is out of the business for good now. Its been used a total of 5 times I think.

I might be selling my VCM I if that would be something your interested in.

Just a FYI though you will need to purchase a license for the IDS to function 100%. That is in addition to the VCM purchase, Well I think the new ones might still come with one year included in the price? Ford raised the rates on these too, Its now $650 a year instead of $450 previously. I think the non dealer, non fleet accounts are $850 a year

Sometimes dealers will buy multiple licences and will not need all of them. You could look into renting a licence off someone, we have 2 of our unused ones being used by big fleet accounts in the oil patch.

Just a FYI though you will need to purchase a license for the IDS to function 100%. That is in addition to the VCM purchase, Well I think the new ones might still come with one year included in the price? Ford raised the rates on these too, Its now $650 a year instead of $450 previously. I think the non dealer, non fleet accounts are $850 a year

The VCM works fine. It's the IDS license that affects your use of it. Without a valid license, you will not be able to update the firmware on the VCM (not normally a big deal) but when your IDS software is one or two versions out of date you start to lose functions like module programming and configuration as well as others.

• 3 weeks later...

My ford sales rep was out yesterday and I talked to him about ids. He quoted me $1260..... this seems like a good price to me. No computer, that's the vcm, software, and first year subscription I assume. He is getting more info n going to call me back on what exactly the 1260 includes along with the yearly subscription cost and what that give me access to. This sound like a good route to go to you guys, anything else you reccomend I get with it right away?? Thanks for the input guys.

• 1 month later...

I ordered my vcm2 today. I'm wondering what your guys preferred laptop is to use with ids? I know ford sells them as kits with a couple different ones. I use a tough book cf30 for my heavy duty programs and like it, it's a lil clunky but definitely not worried about it. I was going to use a laptop I already have but the screen is fairly small and a real bitch to see outside in the sun. So thinking about shopping around a bit for something else to use just for ids. Thanks for your thoughts guys

I got a lenovo thinkpad t series. After about 3years it's still going strong. Plus lenovo tech support and warrany are first rate. I called them at 3:30 the day after christmas about one of the other ones in the shop. By 9am the next morning I had a new wireless card in my hand.