06 No Start

Rate this topic

Have a question about air pressure test for low icp. Truck is from out of town and quit running while driving, icp will only build to around 65 psi sitting in the shop. Verified low pressure oil pressure and no fuel in the oil. Truck just had head studs done and it looks like the cylinder heads may have been replaced (they're painted blue) and a river city egr delete. Swapped a tester ipr and still no start. I have the oil filter out with air going in to the oil rail and I can hear oil bubbling inside

the filter housing. I don't hear any leaks other than faint hissing in the crankcase and I was getting ready to look at the stc fitting. Is the bubbling normal to hear or is there air pushing back through the high pressure oil pump?

Not normal.On the early style pumps, they do this when the HPOP goes bad. Don't quote me, but I believe the new style pump will do this as well if it fails. It's basically allowing the air to flow backwards through the pump, which means it's toast. STC fitting failures usually will give you at least 200 PSI. 

I got down to the pump and air pressure tested at the stc fitting with adapter I made from an old fitting and had no leaks. I pulled the pump out and put air through the stc fitting and had a bunch of air blowing out of the pump oil inlet, block off the inlet and fitting was holding. Had to put it back together, the guy is towing back to his mechanic who said that's not the problem. Moving on. Another indicator I forgot to mention is when I was air testing it at the oil rail I took the turbo oil supply tube off and oil starting spitting everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I was told that if you took out the filter, depressed the valve at the bottom and air tested it and it gurgled out the filter housing that the pump was bad, so agree with that being likely cause.There was another way to test the pump by graphing pressure output that would show an irregular pattern that would mean the pump was bad, but don't remember the pids to view now.