2.7 f150 clattering

Rate this topic

tonybullitt

About a month ago I had a 2016 with 250 miles on it clattering on left side upper engine. I had pulled valve cover found 5 of the lash adjusters not pumped up. Hot oil pressure is 40psi. I ordered all lash adjusters the necessary gaskets, bolts and seals. Parts finally showed up last week. Got started on it yesterday finished it up today started it up nice and quiet. test drove pulled in to double check coolant level and give it a look over to make sure I am done. I roll the window down and it's just as noisey as it was before. Noise is for sure from left side upper engine. Checked oil pressure again 40psi hot at idle. I have question sent to hotline to see what they recommend. I am wondering if any of you who have replaced head on 2.7 remember if there was a plug I could check pressure to left head? When I replaced lash adjusters all had oil on them none were dry. Also the cam caps had oil no evidence of running dry. I am thinking restricted oil to head maybe?

We have a 2016 in the shop with a 2.7L that smokes and is low on oil. One of the cylinders on the left bank is oily. Hotline instructed us to put a long block in it. Just thought I would chime in with this - no idea what the cause is. Apparently there is something going on on that side of the engine if you read the self help reports on OASIS

I'm about to long block one here that's been an absolute gong show since it arrived.

Is that the one that is getting a left head?

I have no idea what happened to the one I put the head on, haven't heard or seen anything of it since the day it left

I'm about to long block one here that's been an absolute gong show since it arrived.

Is that the one that is getting a left head?

I have no idea what happened to the one I put the head on, haven't heard or seen anything of it since the day it left

Yup, that would be the one. In case you're wondering, I installed the left cylinder head as per the SM's instruction (per Ford's instruction) and it ran horribly. A relative compression test revealed cylinders #1, #2 and #3 completely dead. Removed engine front cover to recheck my valve timing. Engine is timed BANG ON. Shop foreman and I did a manual compression test and all six holes are DEAD EVEN. Re-timed both banks, and verified by myself along with another tech and the SM. Re-assembled and guess what? SAME FUCKING THING!!! Engine sure runs like it's running on three of six cylinders. Rev the engine up to about 2000 RPMs and it runs normally. WTF??? At KOEO CMP_INT #1_F, CMP_EXH #1_F, CMP_INT #2_F and CMP_EXH #2_F all indicate NO. Start the engine up and CMP_INT #1_F and CMP_EXH #2_F immediately switch from NO to YES right away, again pointing to valve timing being off.

We now have a long block on order, that's coming from the U.S. I am NOT getting a very warm and fuzzy feeling for these engines REAL FAST.

I am not discounting some clever engineering found inside new engines but I expect to pull a valve cover or drop an oil pan and find some Briggs and Stratton tech inside any day. You know, plastic cam lobes, stamped steel gears, etc. The 3 cylinder Ecoboost is damned close with its Honda lawnmower engine plastic timing belt in oil.............

( yes, I should buy new mowers and quit farting around with old ones so that I know what is inside them)

I am not discounting some clever engineering found inside new engines but I expect to pull a valve cover or drop an oil pan and find some Briggs and Stratton tech inside any day. You know, plastic cam lobes, stamped steel gears, etc. The 3 cylinder Ecoboost is damned close with its Honda lawnmower engine plastic timing belt in oil.............

( yes, I should buy new mowers and quit farting around with old ones so that I know what is inside them)

Now that you brought that idea to the table...You know that it's going to happen right? It's going to bounce around the universe until it hits some engineer at Ford in the head and then all hell will break loose. 

• 2 weeks later...

That front cover oil seal is a design catastrophe. The one I did was torn from the factory and when I realized it was needed I had to wait weeks for it to come off backorder

I had seen your post about that and ordered before taking it apart. Thanks for the heads up. Yeah terrible design. If they can't put together at the factory without tearing it how are we supposed to in vehicle?

• 2 weeks later...

.....and now another on a 2017 Continental, per the same symptoms outlined in TSB 17-0007 even though this particular vehicle isn't included in the TSB. Anyone else have the pleasure of tackling one of these in a FWD application yet?