What's In Your Bay - Part VII

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

3 hours ago, lmorris said:

Wow. Small town dealer? Our shop has 15 hoists. and 2 flat bays. 11 techs.

Yup, but I'm the only guy that does diesels and my truck shop is separate from the main shop. The main shop is similar to yours, but 4 techs, 3 oil changers, and 1 tech that does used cars. My shop is 4 bays, 1 flat stall, 12k 2-post, 15k 2-post, and a 30k drive all. All newer Rotary lifts. Boss said this morning they are looking to add about 3 bays, and I requested 2 15k or 18k Rotary lifts for those.

• 1 month later...

F450 6.0 with egr cooler and oil cooler. 13 edge water pump. Transit bus with an egr cooler. Railroad F550 6.7 with garbage relative compression. 08 E450 ambulance for rear springs and 4 shocks. 15 F350 6.2 with a leaking trans pump. 

And that’s just what’s sitting at the dealership right now. Most of it’s been there a minimum of 2 weeks waiting. 

In the middle of short blocking and 18 F250 6.7 - Broken piston cooling jet on cyl. 4

10 F550 ambulance 6.4 high pressure turbo seized and plugged DPF

14 F550 ambulance 6.7 with intermittent network concerns

08 E450 ambulance 6.0 with low power complaint

a couple of 17 F550's for check engine lights

11 F250 6.7 injectors

17 F750 6.8 cylinder head recall

14 F350 6.7 bitching about mpg

05 F450 6.0 dump truck for coolant leak and low power

00 F550 7.3 ball joints

14 F550 6.7 for SCR codes

Same deal here, only guy that works on diesels. Have stuff sitting here for close to a month. Had 3 towed out last week, could not get to them fast enough. Its been like this for awhile now, starting to get burnt out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Today I have a 2015 transit 3.2 for a vacuum pump. Pump is locked up and leaking oil out the back. Just to note the vacuum pump does not come with a gaskets, guess who's waiting now to get the seal over night shipped :banghead:

The pump didn't shear the drive off the cam?  By the look of it in SI it's part of the cam and not replaceable.

Recently did a Land Rover LR2 (2.0 ecoboost), snapped the pump drive right off the camshaft.  Had to spin out the broken end and get a drive for a same year 2.0 ecoboost Escape.   LR dealers in our area don't deal with aftermarket shops.

The pump for the 2.0 also doesn't come with the seal.  Same issue.  :(

Had a chevy ambulance in earlier this week. Def fault on dash had heater code went to replace the def heater look at this fuel pump prescreen. I see why they were looking for new place to service there vehicles. Side note replacing the def heater was identical to the Ford ones I do all the time. The GM kit came with new lock ring and a vent. 

KIMG1887.JPG

KIMG1894.JPG

KIMG1895.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I have been doing a whole lot of nothing.  Put a rear cat in a 14 police explorer and a RR abs sensor in another.  Starting to do a lot more inspections this time of year.   Our 14 terrastar broke a rear leaf so that's on the schedule for next week.  We also have a 91 international that blew the rear end up.  There's plenty to do but nothing is a rush.  

I have been slammed since the end of January. I currently have 16 tickets.  A couple of front cover/upper oil pan leaks on 6.7 trucks. Some 6.0 trucks with main harness issues and another with oil leaking from the oil cooler. A 6.4 truck that sets P0087 when towing, found fuel system contaminated with gas and metal in fuel. Another 6.4 that makes oil every 200 hours, we sent off a oil sample but have not gotten the results yet. A warranty DPF on a 6.7, and another getting the collar kit for 17M04. 2 F-150's that the need the recalls done on the diesels. Another 6.7 that has a tank full of water. We received nearly 12" of rain last week, several gas stations had their tanks flooded. A F-450 with a V-10 that appears to have cracked or broken a flywheel a few thousand miles after another shop installed a trans. A brand new F-250(16 miles) with the 6.2 gas engine that has a hole in the fuel tank. Couple of state DOT trucks, one with no taillights and a tapping noise in the engine(6.2 gas) and another with a V-10 that's missing and making noise.

• 1 month later...

We had a guy just quit, shop only has 3 techs, so I've now got 5 Fusion dashes to pull for passenger airbags, a 1990 F-150 runs like crap (customer has already replaced everything.....twice), '06 F-450 trans replacement, 2017 E-450 Dana 70 rebuild, 2010 Edge valve body replacement, and on and on.

• 2 weeks later...

I just opened my own shop here in Whitehorse 2 weeks ago. I am a one-man show and things are pretty darn busy. I thought that things would be pretty active, but my word the response has been overwhelming. In between the oil changes, tires swaps, light bulb replacements and pre-purchase inspections I have the following on the go (either parts in, or job approved and parts on order) ...

- 2003 Legacy for head gaskets, rear pinion seal and rear brakes

- 2013 F150 3.5 for a vacuum pump, r/side valve cover gasket, plugs & boots

- 2012 F350 for a new rear crown and pinion (10.5 Sterling), all shocks, rear brakes and a wheel seal

- 2001 Odyssey for a timing belt, CV axle and a couple wheel bearings

- 2000 Legacy with head gaskets, customer wants a JDM 2.0 SOHC installed instead

- 2001 Corolla for a high pressure p/s hose

- 2000 F150 for a 6006 assy. For real, haha.

- 2010 Elantra for a trans service, trailer hitch install, new alloy wheels, front stab links and a new fuel filler door release

- 2010 Ranger for a left side cat, plugs, fuel filter and wires

- 2010 F150 for rear clutch packs, install Firestone helper air springs and thermostat replacement

- 2003 Matrix for a valve cover gasket

So far this is a blast. Ask me again in six months, or even in a week or so when I find out if the 9.75 clutch pack tool that I'm about to make out of threaded rod, a few nuts, a few washers, my bench grinder and mig welder is going to work on that 2010 1/2 ton  ; )

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I was testing software at a local shop yesterday.  They had a Honda with an SIR light on.  Code for the RF Impact Sensor.  Sensor had what appeared to be a bullet hole and lead splatter inside.  Sure enough there was a hole in the fender.  The kid's father showed up to pick it up.  He wasn't entertained.

IMG_20190819_165704215.jpg

IMG_20190819_163916760.jpg

IMG_20190819_163850150.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I guess there needs to be some text editing for the DTC scripts, "open circuit or projectile perforation" . That covers bullets and IED's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmy57 said:

I guess there needs to be some text editing for the DTC scripts, "open circuit or projectile perforation" . That covers bullets and IED's.

It could even become a special add-on for Chicago residents!  :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...