What's In Your Bay - Part VII

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

17 hours ago, lmorris said:

Mine has the stand but not the 6.7L adapters. Only had 1 6.7L torn down to a short block and that was done using the engine crane and powertrain table. 

We still have the 6.7 adapters with ours, never used and collecting dust. Funny you should mention.... I'm just building up a 5.0 on a '17 Mustang using the exact same method you described right now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, batmantech said:

Some fun numbers here. 

2012 f-550 6.7  tire repair service truck.

total engine hours 4,526   

idle hours  3,195

Shocker --DPF issues

Driven mileage???

On 2/16/2021 at 4:49 PM, batmantech said:

53,000 miles 

That works out to 6.8 average MPH.           

Numbers like that are common in our fleets. The worst was the City of St Louis truck that had something like 5,000 miles and 11,000 hours. They also had constant DPF problems.:scratch:

This is the 2nd dpf on this unit.  Also they are a large co-op, "fleet". Multiple trucks with "drive to clean" check engine lights on. They just keep using them till they stop. Cant get them to do the man regen.   I guess that's  job security for me.

We can't get PSE&G to change their engine oil. My dealer alone has charged them over $150K for engines: 6.7L PSD and 6.7L Cummins and a few Transit engines and V10's. Doing one right now on a 2019 with the factory filter still on it and... Change engine oil now message displaying on the dash. By engine hours it should be on it's 4th or 5th oil change.  I don't fucking understand.

I don't get it either. One theory I have is the disconnect that upper management  at these places have with common sense. They just plain don't understand that it is their staffs lack of maintenance at fault.  Most think that its just poor product.  The other issue is lack of available employees.   

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mchan68 said:

Nice. How hot did that engine get?

Not sure, I got the truck half torn down from another shop with all the codes cleared. I replaced the cooler core, re pressure tested it before putting it back on the truck just to know it sealed. Seems to run good and is not building excessive pressure in the cooling system. 

• 3 weeks later...

Our parts manager's on going project truck. Has a new high stall converter and is setting TC clutch codes. Replacing the main control under TSB first before putting another TC in it.

IMG_20210616_133020_01.jpg

20210616_132906.jpg

20210616_132901.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2016 Focus, 59000 km with the worst clutch failure I have seen. We tried and tried and can't get the clutch to seperate from the input shaft.

IMG_20210804_102213_03.jpg

IMG_20210804_102213_01.jpg

IMG_20210804_102213_04.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The truck was towed in not running. After much diagnosis, I found the turbo shaft broken, exhaust impeller jammed into the housing, intake compressor wheel flopping around and the compressor housing full of oil. It ran with the cold side CAC hose and exhaust disconnected. Replaced the turbo, cleaned CAC, pipes and both intakes. Ran good until it started to knock🤪🤔🤣. Managed to hide the lack of maintenance so we can get the turbo covered, not so sure about the engine. Waiting for service records now.

Truck left on a tow truck.

Edited by lmorris
Update on repair.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Brad Clayton said:

What's the full repair going to be on that one?

So far, short block, seperator plate and a torque converter. Can't see any signs of wear to the transmission front support. No codes. Fluid is good. Waiting on a Hotline response concerning the need to tear down the transmission.