What's In Your Bay - Part VII

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

A 2016 F350 with canbus codes.  No Comm to ABS Module (critter damge) and some hanky-panky going on in the fusebox.  Auction vehicles are usually dicey, LOL. 

20220916_173936.jpg

20220916_173720.jpg

20220916_170716.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/7/2022 at 5:21 PM, Keith Browning said:

Just pulled a cab - 2008 6.4L for an oil cooler. Most things need the help of a torch. It's been a while since I have fully raised a cab. Nope, don't miss it! 

I can't remember the last time I had the whole cab in the air, everything we work on lately has too many wires that make it not worth it. I cab tilt almost all my major engine jobs.

7 hours ago, Steve Mutter said:

I can't remember the last time I had the whole cab in the air, everything we work on lately has too many wires that make it not worth it. I cab tilt almost all my major engine jobs.

Yes, I haven't had a cab completely off in years too. Mostly all partial cab lifts. I have never liked working on 6.4L engines. I despise them. This one has the added benefit of having 184,000 on it, reman installed who knows when and EVERYTHING is wither seized, snapped off or the bolt head is rusted round. I'm livid!!! I also am discovering that many of these parts are now... obsolete. 

The 6.4 I did around Labor Day was in an '08, 400k.  It broke that rubber elbow at the drain by the pan rail for the oil/vapor separator, and it pumped out 11 quarts of oil.   Owner kept driving it hard in the Poconos with a trailer, saying it was "loud" but seemed to have power.  Actually was my first cab pull, wasn't as bad as I thought, and every cab bolt came out fairly easy, I doubt it was its first pull.

Finished a complete fuel system today in a '16 F250, owner put 5 gals of DEF in less than an eighth of a tank of fuel, drove it home, it ran poor, then tried to start it the next day.   I never tried to start it, it sat for 3 weeks waiting for insurance approvals.  HP pump locked up tight. 

• 1 month later...

Have my wife's 2011 GMC Terrain in my bay currently. Last Thursday the PCV froze up and blew out the rear main seal. Managed to get that replaced over the weekend. Today I had it in cleaning out the PCV system. The tiny hole in the center plugs up and causes all kinds of issues. IMG_20221227_141525_02.thumb.jpg.81e815ca40b8f250bb435ceb471cabd4.jpgIMG_20221227_141525_03.thumb.jpg.96a85d24032761227ed150ace7825cfe.jpg

• 3 months later...

Leon,

I am assuming you also cleaned the passage in the cylinder head...See  19-NA-021. Also the 2011 should have extended coverage to 120k. I check the crankcase H2O psi when I do a LOF on these.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:34 PM, cbriggs said:

Put  a vented oil cap from a chev pickup with a 5.3L Leon. It has a pressure relief so they wont blow the rear seal out.

I will definitely look into that before winter. Thanks.

On 4/1/2023 at 9:36 PM, 8WA Sman said:

Leon,

I am assuming you also cleaned the passage in the cylinder head...See  19-NA-021. Also the 2011 should have extended coverage to 120k. I check the crankcase H2O psi when I do a LOF on these.

Sure did, had the valve cover off and made sure everything was clean. This thing has 240,000 KMs on it now. It uses a litre of oil per tank of fuel in the city. Not so much on long highway trips though. I am assuming a combination of the crappy oil ring set up and the throttle closing on decel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a 22 F150 with a black radio screen after an ota update. Apim software didn’t load right. Hotline says to put an apim in it. 

Interesting side note. If you have to do a tcu module update via the vcm instead of the flash drive you get a message in fdrs that says “Do not attempt this update unless you have a minimum of 12gb of ram installed. If you do not and proceed the program will likely freeze and the update will fail.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Here's a good one. I put and 6.7 complete reman with turbo in and it came back a couple of weeks later with a big oil leak. Found an oil leak at the service port in between the outlet side and center section. Installed new turbo and found it will no hold vacuum when re filling the cooling system. Lucky I had the drain plug out when I was doing all of this because when I put coolant in it to pressure test it I found all the coolant running out the oil pan ! this is what I found on a new turbo !

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

2014 Escape 1.6L 300k replaced what appeared to be the original timing belt, these tools worked great. Also repaired multiple oil leaks,new valve cover(PCV system problem),resealed HPFP & vacuum pump brackets.

MASSIVESPEEDSYSTEM.COM

PRO+ 4 Piece kit is designed specifically for the turbocharged Sigma engine family. Comes with Sprocket locker AND crank...