7.3L Oil leak

Rate this topic

The only documentation I have seen on this is on the sheet with the plug o-rings, that has an arrow pointing to THAT plug with "DO NOT REMOVE THIS PLUG" underneath it.

WTF? IH sells the updated plug and a video on the proper resealing of the pump and Ford says "do not remove"? IH builds the engine and sells it to Ford? Who knows more about these engines, IH or Ford?

Posted Image

I've pulled the ferry plug/edge filters out and cleaned crap from the bore that got in there and caused high ICP/low IPR because of restricting the exit port on the front of the pump. This saved replacing an otherwise good HPOP.

Do not remove???

The only documentation I have seen on this is on the sheet with the plug o-rings, that has an arrow pointing to THAT plug with "DO NOT REMOVE THIS PLUG" underneath it.

I have seen that as well I'll be damned if I can find it now, but it's out there ..

as you can see in the photo every oring, washer, plug, line, screw, bolt, hose, and sensor is called out in the picture with ONE EXCEPTION!!!!

Posted Image

FOUND IT!! TSB 04-4-4

" WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE OR ATTEMPT TO REPAIR A LEAK AT THE PLUG PICTURED IN LOWER LEFT CORNER OF FIGURE 1, OR DAMAGE TO THE PUMP WILL RESULT."

Posted Image

Maybe they're referring to the Loctite,and if you don't warm up the area you might rip the threads out. I have seen plenty of thread damage at that hole and was glad when the longer plug was released.

Posted Image

Well shit! If we were told about this in the first place there probably would be no issue. The fact that IH sells a plug for it that probably comes with instructions to boot you have to wonder what the logic was here.

Quote:
IH sells a plug for it that probably comes with instructions to boot you have to wonder what the logic was here.

With all of the Warranty B/S that has went back and forth between IH and Ford with all of the finger pointing, I believe Ford was just trying to cover their ass. Not to mention it's one less part that Ford has to repackage, I don't think Ford realized it would be a problem down the road.

many years ago before I had ever done a high pressure pump I had a truck in for an oil leak, I eventualy found that "ferry" plug leaking.

I took the pump out and tried to get an o-ring from parts. when the parts guys couldn't find it listed I just took it out and found an o-ring that fit, reinstalled the pump and it was fine.

it was a long time before I found out the ford didn't want that plug removed. Posted Image

International has a nice service kit for repairing the hpop. It is specific to the DT pumps but I have used it several times on the 7.3's. You are not supposed to use a normal o-ring for this application. The o-rings in the kit are able to withstand the pressures of the hpo system. I don't think I have ever used a heat gun to remove a leaking plug. By that point, the fitting is already loose (that is why it is leaking) and the oil has worked its way in between the threads. It is important to go in and scrape the old loctite off the threads though. IF you don't it will cause a leak due to improper torque.