10R140 CDF Drum Bushing

Rate this topic

Hat tip to the Hot-Line - 2020 F350 with engagement problem and shift errors. Went through the main control as per TSB 21-2049 finding no issues. Concern still present. Pulled it back out and air tested the trans - no air leaks detected but some clutches made no noise. Replaced the main control - concern still present. Pulled the trans and the Hot-Line pointed out the CDF drum bushing. And there it was.  See the attached PDF for good and bad examples. the passages are blocked off, some worse than others...

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

CDF Drum Bushing Alignment.pdf

Is that bushing in the CDF clutch cylinder? Can’t find 7H351 in shop manual. Working on 2020 F-550 with a dump bed that had metal contamination in valve body and 21b03 was not performed. Original dtc p2705- friction F range/performance. Vehicle is from a tool rental place with 47K miles. Replaced front planetary per 21b03, assumed that was wear metal come from since mentioned in bulletin. Also found F clutch had bluing on metal and frictions was black. Replaced F clutch pack, main control, and torque convertor due to not having proper adapter to flush. Final testing sets dtc P0762 and P2702, with no reverse. Very likely that I missed that bushing and passages upon inspection.

1 hour ago, garybarrett said:

Is that bushing in the CDF clutch cylinder? Can’t find 7H351 in shop manual. Working on 2020 F-550 with a dump bed that had metal contamination in valve body and 21b03 was not performed. Original dtc p2705- friction F range/performance. Vehicle is from a tool rental place with 47K miles. Replaced front planetary per 21b03, assumed that was wear metal come from since mentioned in bulletin. Also found F clutch had bluing on metal and frictions was black. Replaced F clutch pack, main control, and torque convertor due to not having proper adapter to flush. Final testing sets dtc P0762 and P2702, with no reverse. Very likely that I missed that bushing and passages upon inspection.

Yes that is in the CDF cylinder. Surprisingly I don't have any damage anywhere just the bushing has moved. I also don't see anything that would have pushed it so I am thinking it is not all that secure.  Hot-Line is taking a full day with my replies and questions so at this point it looks like I am just ordering the cylinder an overhaul kit and a bag full of hardware. 

Mine set dtc P02105 clutch performance and default to 7th gear with a wrench light. When air testing found e f c clutch bleeding into lube ckt. Upon inspection found that bushing moved about a 1/16-1/8 of an inch in estimation.

• Like 1

There are a few topics on fmc dealer message boards on this . Some from dec  jan march 2020. search cdf bushing for pictures. One guy had pictures with a depth micrometer in showing old and new height of bushing

So the 10R80'S are having the same issue?  I've had a few with funky shifts and found scored clutch valves but still were a little iffy after a new main control. Wonder when they'll be back.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw the bulletin. My first one with the CDF cylinder problem was a 6.7L with multiple codes and multiple shift symptoms. NOT INCLUDED IN THE BULLETIN. Number two is on the bench, 6.2L with the code. I have a third waiting in the lot with no codes because an outside shop apparently erased them 62 miles ago but shifts all fucked up. I wonder what I will find.