"Thermal Event"

Rate this topic

Anyone seen the video yet? Ive got it in a email, maybe I can send it to keith and he can host it? Its impressive to say the least.

I wonder what the reprogram is actually doing? seems this is only a problem with a engine concern. ie excessive fuel or oil in exhaust from injector or turbo etc. Is it preventing the truck from going into regen at idle? I have to say I did see this coming tho. seem tailpipe temps are a little too steep for comfort sitting there doing a regen at idle.

*edit to be politically correct*

Click it on over! keith@forddoctorsdts.com You are supposed to be able to attach files to posts but it is not working for some reason. (one of the reasons I need to get the software patch installed I'll bet)

I'll post it if I get it... you can try using the File Manager found in the Post Options just under the text box when replying. It stopped working for me, maybe it will work for you otherwise I'll check my mailbox

Thermal Event (click here)

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif

I put this in my streaming media folder because it's 6.7mb. It should in Windows Media Player and it is streaming so you don't have to wait. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Thanx for sharing!!!

I wish I could claim the video but it was passed on to me by mangement here at my dealer. Its the talk of the shop for obvious reasons. I did not get any info with what was wrong with it but from previous issues I have had with these trucks it sounds like a fuel knock from a stuck open injector dumping fuel. I have had one do the very same thing and fill the exhuast with diesel. forgently mine did not go into regen and burn my shop to the ground.

I wasent going to post it since I didnt know where it came from but I wanted to share with you guys here. Im sure this will become public very soon however from whoever made it.

I showed the video to our master diesel tech here and all he could do is shake his head. We are in the process of reflashing over 40 trucks. He also seemed to think that that truck had a bad injector. I was really hoping the the 6.4 launch was going to go smooth.

I think I will post the video on the front page, maybe a Recall in Review article is warranted. I haven't released any new articles this year /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif this would be a hot topic to cover! (pun intended) I was hoping to find the owner of the video but... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif Perhaps one of our resident insiders could explain to me how the reflash will prevent this from occurring and how. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif

In the event that any of you have posted a link to the file on my server be advised that the file name and or media folder will change daily to prevent bandwidth theft and abuse. This has nothing to do with anyone for any reason. This is something I need to do. I will try to maintain the link here in this thread.

I was told by some folks at Nav that the video originated from a dealer in the Indianapolis area. If anybody works there, or has fellow tech friends in that area, you might be able to get some add'l details as to the failure. As you might expect, the folks in Reliability at Nav are being pretty tight-lipped about the incident.

- Jay

• 2 weeks later...

think and listen to the audio on the file. The motor is missing a cylinder from who know what. The excess fuel just feeds the Cat and onto the DPF. The new calebration will move the motor down to save motor mode and a check engine light via the dash, especially in a overheat situation like the video.

I e-mailed that vid to our Edmonton instructor..... his only comment "if any of those guys had brains, they would have shut the truck off...."

Somehow, I might tend to agree with him....

Got a 6.4 in last Thursday that sounded just like that video. Brand new engine just arrived for the truck today.

Did you get to dig into it or did Ford ask you not to? I am sure they would want it back for their own analysis.

I removed the drivers side cylinder head to find why 2 holes had no, as in 0, compression. I have some pictures and will try to put together a post on the repair later. It may be a few days till the vehicle is back on the road, though.

Quote:
I removed the drivers side cylinder head to find why 2 holes had no, as in 0, compression. I have some pictures and will try to put together a post on the repair later. It may be a few days till the vehicle is back on the road, though.

I'm guessing blown injector tips that either punched holes in the piston or seriously scoured up the cylinder walls?

- Jay