Screwing With Coworkers

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Here's one for you to try. Dial up a direct line in your shop and transfer the call to the receptionist. Get's a real puzzled effect. We also have a few mechanics that take their lunch in their cars, some have fallen asleep, needless to say the vehicles get a good shrink wrapping, you should see the look on the faces when they can't get out.

• 10 months later...

I now have two apprentice level techs, young and unsuspecting. I was thinking about this topic and started giggling...

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

...this is going to be a fun summer.

I had this one pulled on me and couldn't help but laugh along. Get a car with memory seats and program it as far ahead and high as possible. Now I'm 6'2" and hop in and slam the door, turn the ignition on, by the time I realize what is going on the steering wheel is in my chest and my knee caps are in the bolster plate. Man, was I jammed in tight. I was pissed at first but by the time I got out I could only laugh.

Had a sleezy tech at my old shop who would always help himself to my hand lotion, which was sitting on my workbench. One day I swapped the lotion bottle with a special blend I made of Nair and self tanning cream.

Another time we had an asset student who thought he was all that. We had the receptionist page him on the PA system and inform him that he had a call holding on line 6. Line 6 at the time was the PA for the whole dealership. Needless to say the entire store inside and out heard poor marcus sound like an idiot trying to answer a phone call with nobody on the line...We were hoping for some profanity to be broadcast throughout the sales dept but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Speaking of Marcus... another time, he had left early for the day, so we took the liberty of turning his toolbox around so the drawers faced the wall, then we put the vinyl cover back on just like it was so he wouldn't notice until he unzipped it the next morning. He came in to work the next day, and when he found it, he actually cried in the shop Foreman's office about it, and our foreman, who hated Marcus anyway, just busted out laughing. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

One time I filled my buddie's sure shot with coolant and fluorescent dye. Apparently neon goo doesn't do a very good job of cleaning.

Great big 5ft 1" diameter torsion bar thrown on the floor behind someone works mint, even better than the big prybar.

There was a guy across the shop from me doing timing chains or a tensioner or something on a 5.4 3V, and got it all buttoned up almost ready to start, and went for lunch. I then took the liberty of taking my spare crank trigger wheel out of the bottom drawer, and going over and setting it in plain view on the other tech's cart. He gets back from lunch, and looks at his cart, looks in at the engine, looks back at his cart, and repeats this several times, before he hangs his head and goes up to the lunchroom. Went up to eat my lunch and buddy is up there lookin all pissed, so I ask him what's up. He tells me, and I go oh, that sucks. He comes back down and there's about 15 guys standing around laughing. He saw the humor in it after it was all over.

Great big 5ft 1" diameter torsion bar thrown on the floor behind someone works mint, even better than the big prybar.

There was a guy across the shop from me doing timing chains or a tensioner or something on a 5.4 3V, and got it all buttoned up almost ready to start, and went for lunch. I then took the liberty of taking my spare crank trigger wheel out of the bottom drawer, and going over and setting it in plain view on the other tech's cart. He gets back from lunch, and looks at his cart, looks in at the engine, looks back at his cart, and repeats this several times, before he hangs his head and goes up to the lunchroom. Went up to eat my lunch and buddy is up there lookin all pissed, so I ask him what's up. He tells me, and I go oh, that sucks. He comes back down and there's about 15 guys standing around laughing. He saw the humor in it after it was all over.

I did that once on a 5.4L E-series truck. The only difference was, it WASN'T a joke!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gifFrom that moment on, I ALWAYS leave the crank trigger wheel right on top of the timing cover whenever I do any form of disassembly work..

I used to work at a Mack Trucks dealer a few years ago, one night shift we all got tired of listening to this one young punk mouth off. In about five or six seconds he was on his back, zip-tied to his creeper, where he remained for quite some time. We had to gag him after awhile, the noise was unbearable.....

Another good one is rapping something metal with a hammer just when somebody fires up an engine after a major repair or rebuild, the look of horror is priceless!

I used to work at a Mack Trucks dealer a few years ago, one night shift we all got tired of listening to this one young punk mouth off. In about five or six seconds he was on his back, zip-tied to his creeper, where he remained for quite some time. We had to gag him after awhile, the noise was unbearable.....

Another good one is rapping something metal with a hammer just when somebody fires up an engine after a major repair or rebuild, the look of horror is priceless!

Speaking of heavy truck shops, that reminds me of the days when I used to work at a Ford Truck store (pre-6.0L days), where there was this one heavy truck tech who had a real attitude apparently. Him and this one parts guy would be at each others' throats almost on a day-to-day basis. Well, one day this tech was working on something in a bent over position. Apparently this tech had "plumber's butt", meaning his butt cheeks were exposed when he was bent over. The parts guy grasped the opportunity and took a can of Brake Clean and nearly emptied the whole can into the tech's "orifice". Apparently the resulting sound emitted by the tech was unbearably priceless. This malicious act, earned the parts guy a reprimand, 2 week suspension, and a written apology to said co-worker. I would've paid money to have actually witnessed this.

I used to work with a tech who always had plumbers ass showin off. He was always pullin pranks on us. So Most of us in the shop would drop pennies down his ass cheeks when he was bent over and laugh like a MOFO. It was all in good fun though. THis same tech came in to work one monday mornin all hung over and when he opened his bottom drawer on his tool box, he almost had a heart attack when a pigeon flew out and hit him square in the chest. A couple of guys had cought the pigeon late on Friday and had put it in the drawer. A whole weekend of pigeon shit to clean out. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif It was priceless. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

One of our techs was doing a cab off and while clearing out the interior came across a HotShot cattle prod. The model had a couple electodes that stick out past the tip, kind of like those hand held tasers. He touches the button on the handle and is disappointed that no arc could be seen across the electrodes. So, he figures the battery is dead. What he didn't realize was that the button only charges the units capacitors. Seeing the tech in the next stall leaning over a fender, he jabs him in the back of the thigh. To his horror the tech hollers out and damn near goes through the roof, instead of just turning around and telling him to quit poking him. Good lord, I thought we would have to call the cops. Now, that was some funny stuff!!!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif That's just damn funny. Man those things will light ya up. Used to use them on the farm. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

Those the hats I heard come in the glove box of a 6.0 so you can keep your ears warm when you've gotta walk up here in the great white north?

Those the hats I heard come in the glove box of a 6.0 so you can keep your ears warm when you've gotta walk up here in the great white north?

To go along with the heated tailgate....!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Yeah, especially when you forget to pull your roadside hotel behind you and you blow an stc fitting 400 miles away from civilization.

Back to the topic, sort of: It is also fun sometimes to screw with customers. This past winter, when we had our cold snap of Minus 35 Celcius (Minus 31 Farenheight) weather I was wearing My Fox hat (as my son calls it) to work. I was diagnosing a no start Sick-O outside. I came walking back into the shop wearing my stylish hat and happened to pass a customer standing at the back shop bay door who was looking out the bay door windows. I went to my toolbox and grabbed a big hammer and called the apprentice to come outside with me. As I walked by the customer, he stopped me and asked me if I had found anything wrong with the truck yet. Now knowing this is the customer who's truck I am working on, I said not yet yet but if you give me a minute , I'm gonna go out and beat on it and see if I can find anything wrong with it. I turned around, walked out the door and did not give him a chance to reply. The apprentice gets in the truck and holds the key in the start position and I climb underneath in the snow and beat the bejesus out of the starter and what do you know? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer2.gif the truck starts. I come back into the shop holding up my hammer and say to the customer, You need a starter. He has this disgusted look on his face and goes to the Assistant Service Manager and asks her if he can take the Hill billy wearin the stylish hat workin on his truck serious. Meanwhile, I'm laughin me ars off in the shop and She procedes to tell him, that he has the best tech in the shop workin on his truck. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif Man, it was awsome. Everyone in the shop was laughing.

This is why my son calls it a Fox Hat:

• 2 weeks later...

Some of those ideas are awesome!!!! I cant wait to go to work on tomorrow. . .muahahaha. I of course will have to go into work early on monday and watch the hilarity. I usually get the new guys training with me for a while. Everybodies first overahaul has that terrible sounding(3/4" wrench on the bumper or frame rail)knock. The look on their face is priceless. We had one tech school kid that came in for his co-op training. He was a real smartass with all the answers and was faster than all of us. He worked with me on an overhaul of a 3406E. During the tear down I told him to put on his safety glasses and watch the rod as we pulled the number 6(first liner outof the engine)out to make sure that it didnt hit the crank and scratch it. Whoosh the block drained as the liner came out. We all laughed histerically, He changed his uniform and wasn't so cocky anymore.

I've added a new twist on the old 90psi coolant jug. I took one and filled it about 3/4 with water and laid it down behind a friend. It blew like a water laden land mine, absolutely priceless, be warned though nothing that can't get wet within a 25 foot radius.

• 2 weeks later...

I love pulling out of my bay with the exhaust hose still on the tail pipe. And then when another tech comes runnin over to pull the hose off, I stem it and blow the hose off the pipe. Great joke right after you've done a turbo for filling the exhaust with oil or an EGR cooler that has filled the exhaust with coolant. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

But then it's even more fun to go on a road test and pass a guy with his windows open and have her to the pin. Just did it today. Couldn't even see the guy in the cab. Man is it ever easy to humour myself. However, they will most likely include Sick-0's into second hand smoke bylaws. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif