Greasy fingerprints

Rate this topic

dieseldoc

I had an experience today when picking up my f-250 from the dealership. I took it in for some warranty repairs(I know you guys dont really like warranty work, since it doesnt generally pay as well). I dropped it off and told them they could have it as long as they needed it. When I picked it up today there was greasy fingerprints on the door handle, the front bumper, and body shop dust all over the interior. This kind of bothers me, it gives me the feeling they don't care about my vehicle at all. When I first started pulling wrenches 10 years ago I worked at a full service gas station. We cleaned the windows and vacuumed every vehicle that entered the shop. Whether it was a $30 oil change and tire rotate, or few hundred dollar repair. The customers loved it and commented to the boss how much they appreciated the gesture. This is something that I have carried with me. When I work on a truck I make sure that I didnt leave any fingerprints behind, always use a seat cover and floor mat, and I give the windows a quick wipe. The total time for everything takes me maybe 6 minutes. I have had customers comment how they appreciate that I took the time. In fact I have a few that request me. Heres the question am I out of line here? Do I expect too much? Maybe I am just that pain in the ass customer(I really hope not! I always leave it and tell them to take their time, and do what they need to to fix it right. I dont mind paying a little extra so it is done right the first time)? Just curious what your guys opinion is on the subject and what your shops do. I apolagize for the long post, but had to vent a little.

you are not out of line /a good tech will take time to make sure the truck is cleaner than when they got it/if the car or truck is not clean when the customer picks it up they will look for more /if it is clean the customer is happy and will not even open hood/keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert... it isn't just a dealer thing or a tech thing... It's a society thing and we are seeing this sort of crap everywhere we go in our lives. And it is there in ways we rarely if ever consider (ever tried to make one or two crappy little packets of ketchup hide the taste of fries cooked in old oil?)....

The fact of the matter is that there's a whole lot of people on the face of this planet that just plain don't give a f@ck.... No consideration... no respect... and they have abdicated any sign of responsibility.

One really sad note is that if one of "those" guys loaned a tool to a workmate, I'll bet he'd scream blue bloody murder if the tool came back soiled.

The question must be asked... how on earth did the truck get back to you if things were "bad"? An uncaring tech and an equally uncaring porter or SA would have to be involved... and I can't say that there is no chance of it happening.

Yesterday, an apprentice installed a Mobile Ease in an 08 F350.... Today, I jump through hoops to make the customer happy after her heater no longer worked (improperly installed electrical connector).

Take a wild guess how many times a day I have to ask "Where's your seatcover?"..... "Where's your OASIS report?".... "What did the manual say to do?"....

And you can carry that into any walk of life.... When was the last time you saw a "professional truck driver" drive like a professional rather than a Hollywood stunt man? When was the last time your fast food looked like the picture? When was the last time anyone went to Circuit City and found a salesweasel that knew what he was talking about?

It's not an industry thing.... it's a people thing .... and WE let it get that way... we even asked for it. Every time we utter "Boy, that sounds like a lot of money..." and try to drive the price down... someone will find a way to make cheaper "profitable". And that includes hiring uncaring people and paying them just enough to keep them angry.

Anything that involves people makes an diesels electronic operating system look simple by comparison.... And the people we are "growing" today are not like the people we grew thirty years ago.... Don't get me wrong... there's some really good ones... Look around us here on DTS... But out there.... in the wild....

I used to work with an asset student who managed to get greasy footprints on the headliner of a customers Lincoln /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

Heres the question am I out of line here? Do I expect too much?

Not at all. Since you are a tech you can also appreciate that it really takes little effort and usually just a minute to clean up after yourself so as the customer in this situation I can understand your feelings. I also think that you should have pointed out the condition of the vehicle to someone in the service department.

I get angry when I see one of my guys standing on the painted surface of a bumper on an F350 - greasy boot prints!

Im only 26 and I like to think i take the time to be clean, but on the same not I am not working as a detailer. I have had customers cars come in and I am glad there was a seat cover and floor mat so that I do not get dirty. One even asked why the car was not cleaned, thing was coverd by her booger factories food and candy. In the situation you were in I agree the finger prints are a no no but I think there is a line where the wash boys take over.

I used to work with an asset student who managed to get greasy footprints on the headliner of a customers Lincoln /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

How bount tire tracks /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif

The one thing I REALLY like about the dealership I work at now is we have i believe whatt are called vehicle porters that park the cars and stuff, as every vehicle comes through our drive through. The porters place floormats, seat, and steering wheel covers in each vehicle. Not that I have a problem doing it myself, just sometimes you forget to bring floormats out with you, or your seat cover is just about ruined with dirt because the cintas man is a week and a half late /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif but that's a different story. Still, i think that every vehicle should leave with no fingerprints or greasy bootprints on it. I don't detail the vehicles I work on by any means, but I make an effort to give stuff a quick wipe down for handprints before I ship it.

Well I appreciate that you guys are with me on this. I dont expect a wash and wax, just to get my pick-up back as I dropped it off. When I picked it up it was almost closing time and no one but the cashier and a few salesman were left. I called them today and talked to the shop foreman that I always talk to and told him what I found. I wasnt angry or whiney about it. Just told him what I found. He sounded a little upset, said he was sorry that it happened and that he would make it up to me next time around. It is a small dealership, in a small town. They are great to me. I have bought all of my vehicles from them and will in the future. As a matter of fact I drive 60 miles one way to take my vehicle there. I hope that it is not a sign of things to come. However I think Jim is right again and things like this will happen more and more. The way kids are raised these days is creating this problem and it will only get worse. I am still a kid by many peoples standards I am sure at only 25. But I guess my folks raised me old fashioned. Taught me to have respect for people and their stuff, work hard, earn what you recieve.

One question for all of us guys??? Don't we have shop Foreskins/Service advisors checking them over and test driving before it's approved as a fixed vehicle??? Would it not be their job to point out the prints or smudges to the porters before its put in line for pickup???Body shops deal with this B/S daily maybe they need some lessons!!!

Let's see Jim if you had to take one of your toys in...Would you not expect it to be gone thru by at least a couple of people before you were called. These people we deal with everyday drive these vehicles and know exactly how they went in, don't you think they should go out at least the same way, or better yet cleaner than we recieved them? Would do wonders for the warranty surveys that the customers get. A few minutes to tidy up go miles....

Quote:
I wasnt angry or whiney about it. Just told him what I found. He sounded a little upset, said he was sorry that it happened and that he would make it up to me next time around.

DieselDoc I would make a point of bringing it back very soon...I would not have been so nice /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gifActually pretty pissed off. But I am glad you dealt with this politically correct. It makes life at the dealer a little easier, but don't let them forget it.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong... there's some really good ones... Look around us here on DTS... But out there.... in the wild....

Jim's right, on this point, maybe you need to suggest hiring some of the members at this dealer...

I have gotten wild when making a complaint about things in the past and it got me going backwards. I try to be level headed about things like this. Seems to get me further. Sometimes we have a bad day and miss something. A very good reason like you said to have a couple people that glance over things before it is considered done. I would like to be a ford dealer tech. Maybe I am wrong but I think I would make a good one. These engines and vehicles really intrest me. I am just scared to be working on flat rate. Maybe it isnt as bad as I think. But I know in our truck shop it will be slow for days at a time, than it picks up a little and we get to draw straws for who gets a job. Maybe the automotive field is different than the heavy truck industry.

My state is a "right to work state". We have a union but not required to be in the union to work there. I personally am not in the union. I luckily am paid hourly wether my time is billable or not. I just hate sitting around doing nothing. I would rather have a project than no project at all.

Quote:
One question for all of us guys??? Don't we have shop Foreskins/Service advisors checking them over and test driving before it's approved as a fixed vehicle??? Would it not be their job to point out the prints or smudges to the porters before its put in line for pickup???

Geez Larry, that's so funny I almost pissed my pants /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

I used to work at a dealer that cared that much, but we closed. Now I'm at a dealer where comebacks are common, and unfortunately, quantity frequently outweighs quality in this epic race to the bottom. I personally take the time to quality check my work, as do a select few of my associates, yet I find myself disappointed that so many of my co workers don't seem to care at all. A customer can have a very good experience at my dealer, or a very bad one depending on the luck of the draw in terms of which tech they have assigned to their vehicle.

If you make 1 customer happy they tell no one, if you piss off one customer...They tell 10 people. So if they have a 50/50 chance of getting a quality minded tech, Hmmmm /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

Uh oh, I'm starting to sound like Grampy Jim. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif

Quote:
I just hate sitting around doing nothing. I would rather have a project than no project at all.

Your from Fargo right??? Sounds to me like you guys need Nascar to come up in your neck of the woods!!!

No really, just keep your shit together and make the time to make it right. If nothing else you will be the better person for it. The dealer you go that far for this service... Maybe you should apply for a position. I work 60+ miles from home but I am very happy doing it.

Quote:
I personally take the time to quality check my work, but it's disappointing to me, that so many of my co workers don't care at all.

Uh oh, I'm starting to sound like Grampy Jim.

Jeff, You too...You need some serious Nascar injection into your life.....

Larry... one of my rules is that we don't do anything to a customers vehicle that we wouldn't want done to our own... After all. it's not about you or me or the guy in the next bay... It's always been about the customer... Without him, we can pack up our toys and go home....

I don't get to road test many after they are fixed... certainly, for the more discerning customers or those that are on a repeat visit, I am involved... But most everything I get to drive is "pre-repair". One of my biggest problems? Improperly verified concerns....

Before I get carried away on another digression.... Vehicles that are very dirty... I like to send them to the wash bay before we have guys leaning over the fender. Nothing worse than grinding dirt into a guys paint.

There's plenty of hand cleaner and roll towels in the washroom and there's a roll of plastic seat covers beside the door to the back 40...

There's no excuse for giving a customer back a truck dirtier than he brought it.

Shit happens... when it does, we make it right.

Jeff... keep up the good work. Being introduced to new people with "This is MY mechanic..." ain't so bad....

Very well said Jim, THANK YOU, I'm glad that I'm not the only one here that feels that way. Any interjection gentlemen???

I'm glad that I can count on you Jim for the well spoken response, by the way I have a Idea for Keiths contest could you help out?

One question for all of us guys??? Don't we have shop Foreskins/Service advisors checking them over and test driving before it's approved as a fixed vehicle???

Who damn that was funny..... My advisor does occasionaly but for the most part it all on the techs to do this. As far as giving it back with finger prints/smudges and just plain being fixed it should be on us. (exceptions for intemitants) I knew of a customer that made a map to all the areas where a rattle occoured in her daily routine........

Larry.... I am a 3000 year old Army brat. How else can I respond....

If you have an article flitting around in your mind.... PM me... I'll help if I can.

Joshua.... My hat is off to your customer. There are too many times I see an "NPF" finish to an RO.... Damned hard to get paid for those.... and customers start to look at us like we don't really care.... There's a sidebar coming here....

There are times when a customer absolutely needs to be involved in the repair process.... There will be information that we need to gather to verify the concern... and, in all honesty, that is all you are trying to do. I'll try all manner of tactics to verify whatever it is... it may be a "feature" or it may be something we can deal with.... Added bonus... this procedure can bring a "bonding" effect.... When a customer "bonds" to you, they will forgive your peccadillos... as long as you continue to care and "try".

The "sidebar"... Appearances can be everything. I have no idea of how "close" anyone is expected to get to a customer.... But - if you say you are going to "do something"... DO IT!!!!

If you tell a customer that you are going to contact engineering (luke warm line) and get back to them.... Contact engineering. If they tell you something you didn't want to hear, call the customer... repeat what you got in plain English... and pass the blame to where it belongs.

More sidebar... if you are unsure of something... admit it... don't try to BS your way through it... Integrity is hard to gain, easy to lose and nearly impossible to regain. If you are unsure of something.... tell your customer... do what it takes to become sure.... and call them back....

Go the extra mile.... without being pompous, make sure your customer knows "who's dah man". Don't name call and don't desparage... these will come back to haunt you.

I forgot to mention.... suck it up, Princess... It really doesn't get any better...

Lifes a bitch... and then you die...

If someone is paying you to do something... do the very best you have. Anything else will make you one of "them".

Well, getting back to vehicle cleanliness one important thing comes to mind; a clean work area. The slob that works with coolant and oil all over his floor is almost guaranteed to transfer some of that mess to the customers truck. I realize that some jobs are messy and you cant avoid spilling stuff and we are trying to turn some hours to earn a living. Keeping your work area clean is as much a part of the job as showing up on time in the morning, dressed and ready to go. I tend to work on the neat side. I place garbage in the can. I move my drain bucket so the oil and coolant actually makes it in. I put an absorbent pad down on spills as soon as they happen. Boy, I must be a jack-off! If you are fortunate to have a Porter, valet, custodian who takes care of the shop (and I am fortunate) then politely ask the man to run a mop over your bay. We have a concrete "Zamboni" which cleans a bay in a jiffy. I even see coworkers use it themselves. Point is, it's not just the techs, it's the environment and the climate you work in. You have to give a damn!

Jim's right, on this point, maybe you need to suggest hiring some of the members at this dealer...

Can you imagine all of us at one huge dealership. We would have awesome parts guy's, tech's that care, a chapel for Jim's preaching, DamageINC running the porter department.....It's like fantasy island.

Quote:
=Tony302600
Can you imagine all of us at one huge dealership. We would have awesome parts guy's, tech's that care, a chapel for Jim's preaching, DamageINC running the porter department.....It's like fantasy island.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif OK I know it's kinda crappy but I did it real quick and I can hardly see I'm laughing so hard /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif
Posted Image

THE PLANE...THE PLANE

OMG David, that is perfect!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

Where did you get that great picture of Keith and Larry?