The beginning of an interesting project

Rate this topic

dieseldoc

I have decided to begin a project that I think will be very cool or the stupidist thing I have ever taken on. I have just purchased a 3126B Cat engine(for a really great price). I intend to put it into a 96 F-350, replacing the worn out 7.3. Many have asked the question of Why?? I respond with have you seen anybody do this yet? If anyone is interested in seeing the progress of this project I will keep this thread updated. If nobody wants to see or hear anything about this let me know and I wont take up the space of the forum.

I think it would be very interesting so feel free to regale us with your project. I would even encourage a presentation of the project when you are through with it and present it here on the DTS... if you are up for it. This is interesting reading for many people and a CAT in a light duty Ford? Sheeoot!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/surprise.gif

I just hope you can pull it off!

That sounds like an interesting challenge, Yes we wanna see! What tranny are you using?

Yes, I would be very interested in knowing that too. If I were to guess, you would be using a manual transmission, in order to eliminate the electronics headaches. Nevertheless, what about the bellhousing bolt pattern compatibability to a light duty truck transmission? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif

That sounds really cool. We had a couple of "smaller" v-8 cat engines at Wyoming Tech and I was asking the instructors if I could fit one of those engines in a F350. Some said no and some said yes. Either way, I want to see how it turns out. Nothing is impossible.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif

I applaud your energy but suggest you think twice about this. The 3126B is a lot of engine, probably too much for this chassis. Can it be done? Yes, but there will be enormous engineering hurdles that will need to overcome. Don't attempt this if you are on a limited budget as you will quickly find yourself at a dead end. Also remember that you will have several times invested in this truck what it is worth, so selling it will not be an option. If you go forward with this I'd suggest an Allison AT or MT series (non-electronic) as it would give you the least difficulties. I did hear of a guy who put a DT466 into a F350 but I don't remember hearing wonderful stories about its success. I do remember him saying it was too much for the frame and he was having trouble with normal engine vibrations loosening up frame rivets.

I dream of repowers on almost a daily basis and would like to do my own, probably a smaller 4cyl turbo into a mid size SUV or small station wagon. My suggestion is to sell/trade this engine for a smaller diesel like a Cummins 4BT or something similar. I know you're a Cat guy and certainly there are smaller Cat engines you are familiar with that would be a better choice. There are plenty of precedents of Cummins being done which will make things easier, and a website dedicated to it.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

This swap is not for the feint of heart, short on time, or someone watching their budget. This swap is for an older guy, perhaps retired, whose kids are grown and gone, with a lot of time and money on his hands and plenty of time to play. If you are married I'd think twice also, as the "better half" may agree totally at this point but perhaps change her mind later on.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your direction. This is certainly not a waste of forum space and I'm sure many will be watching your progress closely.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

WOW! There is definitely some interest. I will give you some details. I am more than willing to hear suggestions as I go. Seein as how I am into uncharted territory here. My motivation for this project is: 1)I am a cat guy(my blood runs yellow folks) 2)I love my powerstrokes but I pull real heavy loads and would like a little more horsepower and torque, but I want it lower in the rpm range 3)lots of people have put a cummins into a ford, I have not seen a CAT in a ford yet 4)this is the biggest reason of all I have had several people tell me I CANT. Bruce makes very good points about the cost and challenges associated with the frame strength, wiring, mounts, brackets, etc. I am a single guy with no kids, my girlfriend is used to me being at the shop late and working my weekends away there. I plan to use a 6 or 7 speed eaton transmission and going with a divorced transfer case set up. The powerstroke in my pick-up is about worn out and ready for a rebuild. I have priced out the options of rebuilding it and found that I can rebuild this 3126B for about the same cost. This definitely will not be a fast project but I think it will be worth while. I will do my best to put together a presentation as I go and when I am done. I am a nuts and bolts, wrenches and steel kind of guy and not real good with computer stuff like powerpoints.

I will do my best to put together a presentation as I go and when I am done. I am a nuts and bolts, wrenches and steel kind of guy and not real good with computer stuff like powerpoints.

I'm more than sure that if you could provide the raw footage and good descriptions to either Keith or Bruce they would be more that happy (they might even fight over it) to pretty it up into a power point or web page..

I'll be one of the guys thats telling you to " go for it " just for the main fact of I hate when people say it can't be done /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

I agree with ya on that and doing something that presents a challenge and a lot of hurtles makes succeeding much more rewarding. I do think Bruce has a good point about it being too much engine for the truck though and if this truck is going to be a daily driver are you afraid of this thing ripping the truck to pieces? It would make an awesome show truck all painted up and real nice like

Quote:
Bruce has a good point about it being too much engine for the truck

Definitely a good point, Here's a thought why don't you just get a F650 with a bad 3126 or better yet the C7 already in it? Truck was built for the larger engine and if you check around I think that there is somebody out there making PU boxes for these. Make/build a real S/D!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

Quote:
why don't you just get a F650 with a bad 3126 or better yet the C7 already in it?

$$$$, I'm sure. An F650 with a Cat in it is a $20,000 truck in fair shape, and a $30-40K truck in good shape.

OK, I'm in. Why no automatic? They're easy to find, cheap(AT), and makes linkage and install a snap. I suggest you think twice about the 4WD, or at least build it as a 2WD initially to see how well it works and add the TC later.

Next, have you measured the engine bay? Basic physics: I know the 3126 is probably a foot longer and a foot taller than a PSD. You're trying to put 10 pounds of shit in a five pound box. The basic engine is probably 700-1000lbs heavier, too, plus whatever extra the tranny is, but we can deal with the suspension later. Are there tires and wheels available that can handle this weight once you load it?

Option 1: Cut the firewall and dimple it 6-9" along with a 6" cab lift kit. That means butchering the living F@#! out of the firewall, and the associated re-engineering of wiper linkage, heater ducts, dash wiring, and etc. that go along with that.

Option 2: Cut and lengthen the frame rails just in front of the spring tower (4WD, right?) and splice some extra fenders and hood to make a longer nose. (Ugh!)

You're in the snow belt, I hope the donor truck is a spotlessly clean example.

My first suggestion would be to yank the PSD motor out, and make a Styrofoam mockup engine you can install into the frame to get a REAL idea of how much fab you're gonna have to do. I hope you're really experienced with welding and fabrication, right?

Forget the yellow paint, you're gonna have to paint this thing green to remind you how much money you've got in it. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I doubt you really know what you're getting into. I've seen plenty of projects like this that were never completed due to reality setting in.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Think outside the box......or actually in the box everybody is thinking the engine has to be under the hood /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

I'm thinking put it in the bed and use a V-Drive like this one from walter gear http://www.waltergear.com/vd.htm

Posted Image

It will be pretty useless as a pickup but WHO CARES!!!!!!! it's got a CAT motor in it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Cool V-drive, C7/3126 are about 1295 pounds, air compressor would loose weight. I have been looking into doing a C9 in a 70's 1 ton ford. 3208's used to bolt in. If you box the front half of the chassis it will be plenty stiff. C7/3126 are very compact and will fit most p/u's without to much metal work. I would prefer a set back engine for better distribution but it depends on how much firewall you want to fabricate.

Physical size of the 3126B as compared to a b series cummins out of a dodge are pretty close. I am not worried about the weight to much. The pick-up started life as a f-250. That dastardly twin I-beam front end had to go, so a dana 60 solid was installed with new 1 ton springs with an add a leaf. The 3126 is about 300 lbs heavier than the psd. I am sure the project will be expensive and I have no intentions of ever selling this. I am going with the manual because they are a little cheaper to buy and I am one of those guys that like to shift my gears. That and this pick-up has a 5 spd manual in it now. My plasma cutter, torch and welder will get a work out that is for sure. Definitely will be building a foam mock up engine. I mostly want to do this because I have never seen or heard of one, and people have told me I cant. All the challenges will make this interesting and definitely worth while when its done. Keep up with the ideas and suggestions guys I am all ears. Thanks

I am going with the manual because they are a little cheaper to buy and I am one of those guys that like to shift my gears. That and this pick-up has a 5 spd manual in it now. Thanks

Are you going to use the original transmission, or a Fuller unit? How are you going to connect this to the driveline? What transfer case are you going to use? I'm pretty sure GM does have an existing 4WD option for their C5500/6500 series trucks.

I plan to use a 6 or 7 speed eaton transmission and going with a divorced transfer case set up.

Good idea with the divorced T-case, this way you can use pretty much any 2x4 trans and just have a custom driveshaft built to connect the two... actually you'll prolly need 3 custom driveshafts total. Which T-case are you thinking, NP205?

• 2 months later...

We are in the harvest season here and that means 60-80 hour work weeks for me. Once harvest is over I will begin on the project. I have a list of parts that my parts guys is working on getting together for me. So once the snow flies the fun will begin.

I'll definately be one of them keeping an eye on how this turns out since its just over in the other corner of the state too and can relate to how harvest is going right now...

I have a similar project in the works, except mounting the cab & box of a 59 F100 onto a 99 super duty chassis with a 7.3/4R100, worst part so far is cutting 48" out of the frame to get the wheelbase right, then readjusting driveline angles as needed and a few other minor things. I have done worse projects, and so far this one seems to be going along pretty well.