What's in YOUR bay?

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Sooooo... What kind of work are you seeing a lot of these days?

For me it's FICM harnesses, EGR valves and transmission recalls along with the usual service work. For some reason I dont see much of any turbo problems that everybody seems to be claiming to have. Posted Image

What's in YOUR bay?

Recently? R&R bank 2 head due to broken rocker arm,also replace inop turbo due to lack of use [460 miles]hehe, bent the pushrod like a question mark! By the way, take the cab off, and with some foresight, you won't have to open the brake system.

Three other turbos, 4 y-pipes, and a number of injectors.

I have to tell you, working on this motor with no body surrounding it was something of a liberating experience,it was actually pleasurable, but now I also understand where Ford came up with it's labor times.

Posted Image

A Taurus with a bad Integrated Relay Control Module, a Taurus with a bad waterpump, a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a bad governor pressure sensor (in the trans), a Durango with a bad governor pressure sensor and bad ball joints (3). Oh, and a Toyota with a bad O2 sensor. Today was all check outs, tomorrow is all repairs, this is starting out as a very profitable week. As you can probably tell I work at an Independant shop, I use this forum as a resource for my own PSD and for the few that are starting to come in. Great resource for 'correct' information, unlike other diesel forums.

05 with broken rockers,removed head(right),after raising cab,#7 cylinder has water infiltration and is rusted with bent valves. Not bad for 5 miles on it....huhh?

Now have to r&r motor,after inspector has looked at it. It will be a glorious day when they drop the 6.0

Recently? R&R bank 2 head due to broken rocker arm,also replace inop turbo due to lack of use [460 miles]hehe, bent the pushrod like a question mark! By the way, take the cab off, and with some foresight, you won't have to open the brake system.

Three other turbos, 4 y-pipes, and a number of injectors.

I have to tell you, working on this motor with no body surrounding it was something of a liberating experience,it was actually pleasurable, but now I also understand where Ford came up with it's labor times.

Posted Image

I have done 16 engines and 9 cylinder heads,I wouldn't do anymore without removing the body....I agree with the room to work.

04 F350 6.0 17000 miles towed in for a cranks no start, pops through intake while cranking. Has no ICP pressure. Found #1 exhaust has minimal lift and metal in the oil. New engine is on the way and cab is coming off to do it. This will be my first 6.0 complete engine, we have been real lucky at this store on diesel failures but I see this changing real fast.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Is someone trying to insinuate that Ford now endorses removing the cab for major engine work?

...and on a lighter note, I just had a day without an engine, transmission or a 6.0 driveability issue. Maybe tomorrow I will dispatch myself a service!

Kieth, just thinking about what's coming down he pike is enough to make us think cab removal may be a reality. I understand that the 6.4 will have head studs instead of bolts.....

As for what's sitting atop my hoist... the DPs '66 Fairlane ragtop. While the youngsters think that the relic is working on a relic, I prefer to think that a classic is working on a classic....

Nah! They will still expect us to remove the engine and bolt it to a stand. Removing the cab! Posted Image Good God! How barbaric!!!

I think they need to start building them the same way we have to repair them. Put the cab on the frame and then put the motor and trans in. Then they can tell ME how to fix their screw-up! Posted ImagePosted Image

• 1 month later...

Chalk one up for the "odd Failure" column. An Econoline with a 6.0L leaking oil out of the front crank seal quite badly. I found that the air pump pulley was only pressed on 1/2 way and split the belt cleanly in half but shredded only one half. It wrapped around the crankshaft and dampener and took out the seal.

What the heck is a Fairlane? Posted Image

Fairlane is where Henry Srs "house" was/is.... next you'll be telling me you never heard of the Falcon (or the old story about getting a douche for the Falcon you got last year Posted Image ).

Currently in my office is the re-assembly of stupid customer tricks - parte deux.... Decided to pull the oil filter base off for some reason..... found a big chunk of oil filter stem had turned soft enough to weave it way well down into the oil cooler housing - anti-drainback valve melted for shit and a couple of other unidentifiable plastic pieces.

I wish I could figure out managements take on this unit. We aren't the selling dealer - the customer has, time and again proven that he is too stupid to be allowed to procreate - management is trying to get him warranty for the EGR cooler but avoid giving him a motor - and I think that a CC pressure test will make this thing look like a steam locomotive....

• 1 month later...

Aside from the steady flow of recalls coming in, things in 6-liter land seem to have quieted down a bit. The only thing that seems to be a continuing pattern is EGR valves and an EP sensor or two. Even the customers aren't whining as much. Maybe its too hot!

How about you guys?

Well.... I'm just finishing up my vacation... "vacation" means taking off the mechanic hat and putting on the carpenter hat. Do I ache??? Hell, I hurt in places I didn't even know I had.... Monday, they will expect me to be bright eyed and bushy tailed... in reality, I will be bushy eyed and bright tailed.

What can I expect? I am to friggin scared to phone in and find out....

Welcome back! I have noticed your absence on all of the forums you frequent. Actually, all of the message forums, BB's and web sites seem to be a little slow this time of the year. To be expected... good weather, vacations and kids off from school.

You should bring in a claw hammer to work and leave it in plain view. That will get them talking! Posted Image

4R100 builds X 2 for the week, and a 'sick' 7.3 polluted with water/rust in the wings.. Actually the second time for this truck!!! Think they'd learn?!?

BTW.. Searched for topic, but want to know what you guys think about installing BD/Pac exhaust brakes on a 6.0/ZF.. Concerned about sticking/failing a turbo, EGR ect.. Or the long term affect.. Think the VGT can meet the challenge?

Thanks....Rob...

I have seen Banks advertise an exhaust brake but I don't know how this can work on a 6L without causing the EBP signal to spike and cause the pcm to react. Check engine light? Surging? Maybe but then again I have never seen this on a Powerstroke. By the time a lot of the trucks get mods they are out of warranty and most of us never see them.

I did get a chance to talk to BD's sales/tech about their unit.. EBP, stresses/heat on the turbo, and any issues sticking ect. with their unit as well were the firsts things I asked.. And any performance/CEL issues he might like to pony up during R&D.. He didn't give up much info., he must'a been a salesman, but said that it was 'worked' out for the 6.0.. Hummm.. I'm guessing about 3-4 hours to install/wire (after the release of liability is signed) but don't know of anyone 'actually' using one at this point on the 6.0.. And this is one of those, 'my friends have one' and it works fine on their diesel.. Later model Cummins, and 7.3 if I remember correctly.. He tows heavy alot, and if any issues, they should surface fairly quick.. A good test truck.. Guess I can always install it, and if puts the squeeze on the 6.0, he can always say he has one!! Seen alot of tuners, and pipes, but no plugs yet Posted Image Sign here please!!

Rob...

• 3 weeks later...

my lift has a 1953 ford pickup of the dp. any one old like me remember the thingie called a flathead.

Bad end it's mostly bad egr valves and turbos. yes even vw has those problem's. "i was driving down the road and it just stoped running. or it will not start"

Hey Charlie, Welcome aboard! As you can see this is not the FTE forums and no BS here. The only complaining you are likely to come across is a tech or two having a bad day.

I have heard that just about every manufacturer using EGR valves is having troubles with it. I suspect they are all having issues with carbon. It will be interesting to see the new fuel injection systems that can be used with the low sulfur fuel. I think that should help in cleaning up some of the particulate matter.

• 2 weeks later...

In my bays...

03 PSD 350 and a 04 PSD 350, both of which represent my swan songs. The first has a failed injector inlet o-ring, while the second has a failed egr cooler, turbo shaft seal, and possible base engine damage. If I'm a good boy, I may get .5 for both!!!!