EGR COOLER FAILURE

Rate this topic

Since this is the first internally failed cooler I've seen, my question is; Can I get away with just replacing the cooler, or is this indicitive of a head gasket issue as well?

Diag lead me to the EGR valve and removal revealed a soaked valve and a significant amount of coolant in the intake.

By the way ,400 psi in each cylinder cold.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

I don't think that the coolers failing have anything to do with the heads or gaskets. I have had two EGR coolers fail as of yet and had to take them out and test them on a bench to be sure. You could hear air leaking when I put shop air to it. Neither were big leakers but both customers were complaining of a loss of coolant. I would put a cooler in it and let it roll! Got one of those C02 detectors?

I've done about 8 EGR coolers.... most were the early round ones so I was quite surprised to see my first square cooler failure.

None of these units exhibited any indication of head gasket failure and are showing no further indications of coolant loss.

Even now that I'm getting to be an old hand at coolers, I still can't even get close to the SLT.

I just did one on a truck a did head gaskets on about 2 months ago... related? I'm not so sure.

I will say, if you are replacing the cooler you had better take a deep look at the parts you are taking off. The one I just did there was a 1/16 to 1/8" build up all the way through the intake and down the ports of the head causing a severe intake restiction that was worst close to the valve. The Egr valve was completely plugged as was the IAT. The egr was new when head gaskets done and intakes and all else was cleaned when heads were done.

How can I send you some pics?

Brad

Quote:
How can I send you some pics?
Submissions can be sent to submit@forddoctorsdts.com or you can click on the Contact Us link at the bottom of any site page. Send files as an attachment and by the way, I have not forgotten any photos that have already been submitted! I will likely create a members gallery and one article will be coming as a result of one of them!

I've done about 8 EGR coolers.... most were the early round ones so I was quite surprised to see my first square cooler failure.

None of these units exhibited any indication of head gasket failure and are showing no further indications of coolant loss.

Even now that I'm getting to be an old hand at coolers, I still can't even get close to the SLT.

Hi northern buddy only 8 coolers man i only wish we stock 5 for each model year and will use that a week over here mostly 04 and 05 though but all fail the pressure test when removed had 2 bad enough the other day both engines were hydrolocked on cylinder 5 when unit shut down cust went to start no go

• 2 months later...

Yeah Ernie, if you have a leaker its going to drain right into the right exhaust manifold. I hear it's common to get coolant into cylinders #5 and #7 but that would have to be a significant leak! Fortunately the only ones I have seen were using coolant slowly. If you use the adapter from your compression gage in the glow plug hole and slowly crank the engine around you can relieve the cylinder of the coolant without getting it in the crankcase or damaging the engine.

I wouldn't say that but the cooler would have to be leaking pretty badly to affect all four cylinders on the right bank. It is also dependent on which cylinders have the exhaust valves open at the time it's shut down. It is the fact that the engine is lower in the rear that makes cylinders 5 & 7 more prone to hydrolocking simply because they are lower.