6.0 turbo labor time

Rate this topic

dieseldoc

Thanks. Customer diagnosed himself and asked what it costs to replace. I told him I would have to look into it. Needless to say I will be diagnosing myself before I even order a part. I have not had the pleasure of changing a turbo on a 6.0 yet, but have read about your guys frustrations with this particular operation. I have purchased a few brand new 10mm sockets, that will be used only to change 6.0 turbos. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

What year? The bolts on 2003 and early 2004 are harder to remove than the newer ones. Late build 2004 and newer vehicles usally have missing turbo bolts.

If it has inferred EBP, I would also perform the re-learn procedure.

I am not sure, like I said the customer has not let me look at it. All he has told me is that he can hear a metal to metal type of squeak and there is smoke on acceleration and it is low on power. He thinks it is a turbo and I am not so sure it could be a lot of things. The learn procedure I will assume is done with the scan tool??? I do not have an IDS yet, will I be able to do this?????

If it's just an R&R it shouldn't be too bad. You obviously already asked to diagnose properly. If he continues to refuse, document that on the RO to CYA. I've had that situation. I wrote on the RO 'Customer refused to have technician diagnose vehicle.Customer advised replacement of coolant pump would not guarantee overheat problem would be resolved.' In this case, he was right and the pump was the problem. Either way I was covered.

I am not sure, like I said the customer has not let me look at it. All he has told me is that he can hear a metal to metal type of squeak and there is smoke on acceleration and it is low on power. He thinks it is a turbo and I am not so sure it could be a lot of things. The learn procedure I will assume is done with the scan tool??? I do not have an IDS yet, will I be able to do this?????

Well I guess in theory you don't even need a scan tool to reset the VGT learn, but you will not know if it has been done successfully. If you can monitor VGT_LRN, VGTCNC, EOT TEMP, then you will be able to do it.

Originally Posted By: Aaron
2.0 Is the WARRANTY time to change it...
Just curious Aaron, what are YOU charging to replace it RETAIL?

What is word....REE-TAYLE?

Posted Image

I've never had to do one retail yet, so I've never really thought about it. What's the Chilton/Motor manual say it pays?

I like the fact we are looking this up. I am so used to doing little else than warranty work I usually short myself when asked unless I go look the time up in the Motors labor time guide. I wish I could get my Service Adviser to to this. At least some of the techs I work with are catching on. I think using these guides also keeps us all in line to a fair and more standard amount of labor. Good for karma and good for business.

I like the fact we are looking this up. I am so used to doing little else than warranty work I usually short myself when asked unless I go look the time up in the Motors labor time guide. I wish I could get my Service Adviser to to this. At least some of the techs I work with are catching on. I think using these guides also keeps us all in line to a fair and more standard amount of labor. Good for karma and good for business.

...which is all good when your shop actually HAS a Chilton or Mitchell manual. Our manual only goes up to 2002 model year vehicles. I have brought this to my SM's attention NUMEROUS times and he has failed to to provide us with an updated one. I probably don't see nearly as many diesels floating through my shop as most of you here, so the likelihood that a new manual will arrive at our doors are slim to none.

what would labor be in a 05 E350?

2.8 hours to r & r the turbo + 0.7 hours to r & r the pedestal + 1.0 hour to r & r the unison ring. Those are WARRANTY times from Ford.

• 2 months later...

I use to hate to take the rear bolt out of the early 03-04 6.0l.I have even used the trick with a long pry bar to break them out if I rounded off the 10mm head fighting it but for about two years now I have been using my small Cornwell 3/8 impact with an air fitting on the end that swivels 90 degrees and a 10mm swivel socket.I release the rear pipe and push it down while stuffing my impact over it.Then I reach around the drivers side of the turbo and guide it on to the head of the bolt.Hit the trigger and bam it is out no problem.Have never had one stick or round off since and there have been many I have done.Trust me it will fit back there if you cram it but you do need the 90 degree swivel air fitting on your gun.