Help with P0232

Rate this topic

I have an 06 F-250 with that came in for a concern that cust stated the vech nearly stalled at a stop light and had no power afterwards so was towed in. Pre checks all pass Except did not test fuel pressure due to stuck turbo. All pids for HP oil system good, Have CM codes for CKP and CMP , Contribution codes for cyl's 1&2 , p0299 and a hard fault P0232

Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit High. I figured the CKP and CMP codes were related to a stall or near stall. RPM and SYNC Pids were good while cranking, However,I had a hard time starting the vech so I made sure all ficm voltages were good. It did not have the inductive heat stragedy installed so I updated it and re-tested all voltages to confirm ficm was ok. The turbo was sticking so I figured I better peform the coking tsb before attempting to test fuel pressure. Replaced the CHRA due to being corroded and installed new batteries(Cust requested). Started the vech and ran at idle. Fuel pressure was approx 47 psi koeo and 51 psi at idle. The contribution codes are gone but had a bad miss in #5. I did not attempt to run vech at WOT to test fuel pressure because of this. Power balance showed #5 dropping out so followed ppt and I replaced #5 injector and on re-start vech ran for a few seconds and died. Sounded like an obvious lack of fuel. removed secondary filter cap and turned eng to koeo and housing will not fill up. self test has a hard fault for p0232 but after looking up ppt for code it doesnt make sense as I can hear the pump turn on with the ignition. I ran out of time today before I could re-test fuel pressure but I am confident I wont have any. I am sure if I follow the ppt I can figure it out, Was just wondering if I could have shot myself in the foot by doing my diag in the order I did or if I am on the right track ? I have only been doing Diesel work for about a year and havent had any issues pertaining to this code. Thank You for anyhelp or opnions. BTW I know this one will do wonders for our 126 !

You don't have to run the engine at WOT for fuel pressure anymore, as long as you have the updated fuel pressure tester. I would bet that you lost the injector due to the low fuel pressure caused by the failing pump.

I'm in the fuel pump camp on this one, too.

The word "always" gives me the willies.... I've replaced a hand full of fuel pump relays (read that as CJB) for this concern. Yes, the "usual" concern is the pump, but without doing at least a modicum of testing there remains the distinct possibility that we will look like we use a shotgun to replace parts.

YMMV

Yep, and sometimes they will idle poorly, miss, or have a lack of power like you said when the pump is out. Evidently the plunger in the injector will draw enough vacuum to pull fuel all of the way from the fuel tank if the lift pump is inop. Odd how they'll idle poorly, like some injectors are bad....

Posted Image