arp studs

Rate this topic

Keep the sticker as a souvenir. Posted Image Not much else to suggest. pretty straight forward. 245 ft/lbs.

I agree. I actually like the torque procedure better for the studs, than I do the factory head bolts.

Cab off, and the RH head won't go on the studs if you're putting it on with the manifold on. The manifold hits the spring tower on 05 and up, and hits the shock tower on 05 and earlier.

• 5 months later...

Honestly I have done both the studs and bolts and I can't really say one is better than the other. Some people swear by the studs but I have never had a truck come back for headgaskets a second time with studs or bolts. Neither have any other guys in the shop.

• 1 month later...

Well, as of today the only truck i have ever done headgaskets on twice has ARP studs installed. I did the head gaskets and installed studs at about 60000km, and again today at 120000km. The truck they are in has a banks kit, and gets beat on hard, but ive put lots of stock bolts in trucks with chips and never had a redo till today. This thing consistantly pulls 32 to 35 psi boost, and are the worst burnt gaskets ive ever seen.

Well, as of today the only truck i have ever done headgaskets on twice has ARP studs installed. I did the head gaskets and installed studs at about 60000km, and again today at 120000km. The truck they are in has a banks kit, and gets beat on hard, but ive put lots of stock bolts in trucks with chips and never had a redo till today. This thing consistantly pulls 32 to 35 psi boost, and are the worst burnt gaskets ive ever seen.

How were the heads?

Originally Posted By: cbriggs
How were the heads?

Posted Image

Smooth, like this Posted Image

Ive often thought of putting in an stc fitting kit while heads are off, but most of the ones i do are warranty, or the retail ones are old style pump. Heads are good,smooth and no measureable warp in direction ford wants straight edge, and about .002" end to end.

I like on the Hypermax page for the gaskets it says: Do it youself installation instructions included. Kinda pricy too. That with arp studs is a hefty bill.

Ive often thought of putting in an stc fitting kit while heads are off, but most of the ones i do are warranty, or the retail ones are old style pump. Heads are good,smooth and no measureable warp in direction ford wants straight edge, and about .002" end to end.

I like on the Hypermax page for the gaskets it says: Do it youself installation instructions included. Kinda pricy too. That with arp studs is a hefty bill.

The customer bought the gaskets and studs I cosider it a wise and small investment compaired to the cost of doing it over AND I'm lazy so I put the sct fitting in so I wouldn't have to in a month.

Hypermax gaskets + ARP studs = doing it once

OE gaskets made of old beer cans and blue paint + Bungee cord OE head bolt= inevitable failure

I have not had a recheck with stock parts aftering doing the repair. not to say they went somewhere else after warranty was up tho. arp studs are worth the cash if they want to run around on hot tunes but a stock truck shoul dbe fine with stock headgaskets

I have never seen the aftermarket headgaskets before. The ARP studs to me have not shown that they are better because like I said before I have not had to do a head job on the same vehicle yet with either the studs or factory bolts.

I honestly believe people read too many magazines and take whatever they say as the truth. Most of what is in the magazines are race shops who think they know what they are talking about just because the add all kinds of dumb modifications that seem to work for about a month. I have seen the work that most of these race shops do and they are no better than the independent shops with all the butcher jobs I get after they tried to fix something they messed up.

I think, personally, ARP's track record speaks for itself.

I ran ARP studs on my smallblock, with LOTS of compression, and LOTS AND LOTS of nitrous, and never had any real issue.

I've never had a great deal of issue with the ARP studs, but my thoughts are if you're replacing a failed component with one of the same design (bolts/gaskets) is only asking for a repeated failure.

I think though when people are gonna abuse the hell out of a truck, the best thing to do is try to aid in the vehicle LIVING through the abuse, and I think the ARP studs are definitely a step in the right direction.

TTY bolts work well with automated equipment as high torque measurements with current technology is not accurate. Torque to a low measured torque is accurate and rotation through a prescribed number of degrees is accurate also.

Every TTY bolted high compression engine I have experience with has higher head gasket failures.

The ones that use heavier bolts and torque plus one angle are not in this group, only the multi angle torque step ones that have non-reuseable head bolts.

My bet is the TTY bolts are a manufacuring ease and cost issue.

I'm with Aaron on this, ARP studs hold head gaskets intact on a bunch of modded motors. Since the stock bolts on these seem to have so little margin for failures NOT caused by tuners (like sticking vanes on turbo), then why not use them When customer wants to pay?

I have never seen the aftermarket headgaskets before. The ARP studs to me have not shown that they are better because like I said before I have not had to do a head job on the same vehicle yet with either the studs or factory bolts.

I honestly believe people read too many magazines and take whatever they say as the truth. Most of what is in the magazines are race shops who think they know what they are talking about just because the add all kinds of dumb modifications that seem to work for about a month. I have seen the work that most of these race shops do and they are no better than the independent shops with all the butcher jobs I get after they tried to fix something they messed up.

Bahhhh Humbug! I have done so farkin many of these freakin head gaskets that it's freakin insane. When I was at Fourlane, I had a pile stacked behind my toolbox as a souvenir. I have seen many many headgasket repairs with factory studs come back within anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000kms and had blown head gaskets again. I have been at this shop for 10 months now and have seen about four previously repaired sets of head gaskets with stock bolts and have had blown gaskets again. In fact, we have on in the shop here right now. I have never seen a set of head gaskets blow on a truck that I have repaired myself with ARP studs nore have I seen them blown on any trucks that have had anyone else put ARP studs in.

In fact, We here call it the 60,000 to 100,000 km service. You will need head gaskets replaced that often if you use those piece of crap TTY bolts.

I seem to remember someone saying: Every "Retail" head gasket repair on a Six Litre deserves ARP studs.

I would have to agree. As well as warranty repairs if the customer is willing to pay for the studs. The way I see it is that ARP studs save both the customer and Ford a shit load of money down the road.

I seem to remember someone saying: Every "Retail" head gasket repair on a Six Litre deserves ARP studs.

Sounds like something that one would retort to a 'Wiener' with Posted Image

I have that thread printed off and in my toolbox, should anyone ever want a copy. I got that sumbitch before they shit-canned it.

Mmmmm.... and that handsome devil is STILL personna non gratta on 'some' venues....

Mikill... a funny thing happened to one of our diesel guys today.... he's doing head gaskets on a truck that had head gaskets some time ago.... and, quite amazingly, it ain't the first time we have seen this.

In my limited experience... along about the time I utter those fateful words "I've never seen....", I get to see whatever it is that I've never seen...

I'm reminded of an old cartoon strip called "The Better Half"... Husband and wife are having an argument about spending... as a counterattack, the wife accuses the husband of "useless" spending... "You just HAD to have that fire extinguisher.... and have you used it yet???? NOOoooOOOOoooOOO!!".

I can't really prove that ARPs 'work'.... but head bolts have proved that they don't....

Damn... whoever said that "every retail head gasket repair on a 6.0 deserved ARPs...." was probably very smart... definitely handsome... suave, debonair, well read... and probably the kind of guy you'd like to buy drinks for....