arp studs

Rate this topic

I'm reminded of an old cartoon strip called "The Better Half"... Husband and wife are having an argument about spending... as a counterattack, the wife accuses the husband of "useless" spending... "You just HAD to have that fire extinguisher.... and have you used it yet???? NOOoooOOOOoooOOO!!".

I went to a garage sale a couple of weeks ago and saw 4 fire extinguishers for sale- 3 5lb and 1 10 lb dry chemical, all with the gauges up. I bought all 4 for $8. I can't believe how stupid people can be.....

Posted Image

Jim, I used to read the funny pages until I got married. Now, life is funnier than fiction. That was one of my favorite strips though! Perhaps I will resurrect the old Sunday ritual. The Sundie funnies are in COLOR!

To jump into the topic I beleive my shop has seen two repeat headgasket repairs to date.

That part never ceases to amaze me... "Boy, this old <used???> fire extinguisher can't be worth much" - don't forget to invert and shake the extinguishers yearly (some dry chem powders can settle and clump) and to pay close attention to any maintenance schedules laid out by local ordinances.

As another thought, I keep overlooking the fact that our shop has no CO2 extinguishers... I firmly believe any shop that works on diesel should have CO2s handy for runaway prevention. Flood the intake with CO2 early enough and no engine damage should result.

That part never ceases to amaze me... "Boy, this old <used???> fire extinguisher can't be worth much" - don't forget to invert and shake the extinguishers yearly (some dry chem powders can settle and clump)

Good tip.

and to pay close attention to any maintenance schedules laid out by local ordinances.

I keep current with fire extinguisher tags, but believe there is no such thing as too many fire extinguishers. When I had the shop, I called my fire extinguisher supplier and asked, "If I had a gas tank on fire, what would put it out?" He set me up with some "Piece of Mind". It cost a grand, but I slept soundly after that- probably one of the best things I ever bought.

Posted Image

As another thought, I keep overlooking the fact that our shop has no CO2 extinguishers... I firmly believe any shop that works on diesel should have CO2s handy for runaway prevention. Flood the intake with CO2 early enough and no engine damage should result.

I agree, but oddly enough, local ordinances here do not allow CO2 units in automotive shops. Don't ask me why.

As for runaways, we have used:

1. Winter coat stuffed in air cleaner.

2. Clipboard stuffed against air inlet.

3. Screwdriver punctured through FF. (I was not there for that one, it was one of my guys. Fuel return hose was crimped/collapsed from asshole drivers with VG's.)

Oddly enough, these were all Cummins 855's, even though Class 8's accounted for less than 3% of our sales. You know what an 855 sounds like turning 6 grand after it blows the belts off? It's quite a noise......

Posted Image

You know what an 855 sounds like turning 6 grand after it blows the belts off? It's quite a noise......

Posted Image

At least you don't have to listen to the fan screaming Posted Image

So... we can see that the thread is getting hijacked... hopefully, this reply I wont "lose" somehow...

Here in the oil patch, many facilities in the field require that diesel engines be fitted with PAS devices (Positive Air Shutoff) such as the Roda Deaco valve. Unfortunately, once these are installed, nobody maintains nor "exercises" them.... Without proper care they WILL fail.

I did come across

as well as

I have only ever seen ONE air shutoff on a truck, in Ontario. It was an electrical/hydro truck, with a 6.4

It really surprises me that Union Gas (our local N.G. supplier in Ontario) doesn't have air shutoffs on any of their trucks.

And here's a good idea - let's all go stand around the front of an engine that's operating WELL outside it's designed RPM range.

Posted Image

And here's a good idea - let's all go stand around the front of an engine that's operating WELL outside it's designed RPM range.

Posted Image

BAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH BREATH HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

OH JIm that second Video is freaking great!

I see a REDNECK joke there someplace!!!!!!!

Did any body get an official count of how many t-shirts they stuffed into that ISB before somebody got the idea to blast it with the fire extinguisher to shut it down??

So... we can see that the thread is getting hijacked... hopefully, this reply I wont "lose" somehow...

Here in the oil patch, many facilities in the field require that diesel engines be fitted with PAS devices (Positive Air Shutoff) such as the Roda Deaco valve. Unfortunately, once these are installed, nobody maintains nor "exercises" them.... Without proper care they WILL fail.

I did come across

as well as
I've had TWO trucks darken my doorstep, in on the hook as no-starts, caused by such devices. BOTH trucks originated from Alberta (on the OASIS report). BOTH were caused by the device stuck closed, starving the engine for air.

Holy shit! I forgot the frightening scream those Detroit diesels make when they run away. When I was at Engine City Tech one of the other groups in my engine class failed to set up the fuel racks correctly. I was 19 at the time and it scared the piss out of me.

Posted Image

The instructors there knew exactly what they were doing. There was a large CO2 extinguisher outside near the engines any time we fired one up. Makes ya wonder how many times that had happened there. I am amazed that they don't quickly blow up and they don't even have ARP studs! Posted Image

Thanx for the fire extiguisher tip Jim! Posted Image