6.7L Scorpion® Diesel Engines Thread?

Rate this topic

got me excited youll have to open a teaser for the new 4.4l f-150 diesel too!!!

Ummmmmm.................I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon, given that Ford has scrapped plans for the 4.4L. After much tinkering with numbers, I guess the beancounters at FoMoCo figured out that offering the 4.4L wouldn't be cost effective, neither to the consumer nor to FoMoCo to put into production.

I heard the reason that they are not going on with the 4.4L is that the 4.4l was plagued with too many emission related problems. Not sure if that's true though. Lets not repeat the 6.0 and 6.4 all over again. Hopefully they will come up with a solution though.

I heard the reason that they are not going on with the 4.4L is that the 4.4l was plagued with too many emission related problems. Not sure if that's true though. Lets not repeat the 6.0 and 6.4 all over again. Hopefully they will come up with a solution though.

The scorpion 6.7 is all Ford and not International right?

Short 6.7L Article

"The Scorpion diesel's innards will be enhanced with reversed intake and exhaust flow, something found on GM's Duramax diesel, and lighter aluminum cylinder heads. "

Can someone please explain the reversed intake and exaust flow to me. Posted Image

What I understand about the reversed intake system is that with the turbo sitting directly on the exhaust manifold in the V of the engine, there is less heat loss which allows for more heat energy to spool the turbo or turbo's up allot quicker. It will definitely be interesting to see how this system works and how all that plumbing is going to look.

Reversed flow intake...... The turbo is placed in the engine valley and the exhaust gasses are retreived from the top ports.... sent directly to the turbocharger where pressure drop across the turbine stage is maximized. It is felt that this arrangement improves turbocharger response (think of the turbocharger as a "heat pump").

Don't forget that, when dealing with forced induction, intake manifold runners become less of a consideration.. more-so with a diesel - we are not worried about the "shape" of the intake mixture.... direct gasoline injection will most likely prove this theory.

HTH

i remember from the Gm training i had, it was to actually minimize piping and give the turbo better exhaust flow by shortening the incomin exh, also allowing it to heat up more and spool up faster. should be fun.

I get it. The fresh air comes in the sides of the heads where the exaust manifold would normally be and is expelled directly into the inside port of the head right into the turbo.

Why would Ford bring the new 4.4 Diesel into the market with fuel prices low and rebates at all time highs? They can start the 4.4 production later when market has the money in it to pay for the product at a profit making price.

Market research still has domestic buyers in the light duty segment suffering from dislike for the handling of diesel fuel. I also would say that with the recent increase in MPG numbers for the gas 1/2 tons, diesel MPG with emissions may not be too much better and then the buyer has HUGE increase in operating costs for maintenance and urea additive if they go that way (and they almost certainly will).

I would imagine the diesels from GM and Dodge may be pushed back too.

With the world busy licking it's wounds from the current recession, will we see consumers flocking to purchase diesel powered vehicles when the engine option can add five or 10 K over the price of a similar, gas powered vehicle.

Some of our customers that had traditionally purchased diesels in the past are switching to the V10... will this engine ever see direct gasoline injection a la ecoboost? Let's not forget the operating losses incurred by the throttle plate on a gas engine facing off with the improved efficiency of the diesel and the higher BTU rating of diesel fuel.

Can urea injection be ported to the gas engine? Can urea injection be technologies answer the will allow the engine designers to raise combustion temps (high compression, whatever)and regain some of the power lost to emissions control?

Can bio-diesel be feasable in regions that see -40 degree temps? Will urea injection be a problem (I understand that freezing is a concern) if a unit needs to be stored for any length of time? If I park out back at work, will I have a 100 pound block of frozen piss to contend with after a hard day in the "office"?

Even if we never see either one of these diesel engines - the future is still going to be a most interesting place.

I think they will be forced to do it. With cummins working on a 5.0 v8 for the dodge half tons and gmc's confurmed 1/2 ton diesel

GM and Dodge have both delayed their light duty engines. Supposedly until the '11MY at the earliest.

ford need the plant the was going to bild the 4.4L to bild the 6.7L in and the demand for a 1/2 ton diesel is not there in north america becaese everyone one need a 1 ton to pull there 40foot holiday trailer

• 3 weeks later...

And I hope they protect the hood better to keep the paint from pealing due to more heat directly below the hood instead of at the wheel wells!!!

I was sitting in on a meeting yesterday with a guy named Marvin from ford.The meeting was because our service department coding warranty repairs wrong but i just had to ask about the 6.7l.He said that they already have several with over a million miles on them! I was like what!He said that Ford is really excited about having there own diesel and we should be seeing it very soon.Just thought id throw that out there...

I have now had two people from Ford tell me we should see the Scorpion around February and someone from my dealer was told the same thing today while at some Power Stroke meeting. My FSE was thinking it might be sooner but had nothing else to say.

I have also just heard that the 4.4L is a definite go now and will also be available in the Econoline along with the F150/250 and Expedition. This is an unsubstantiated rumor of course but it comes from a good source. Don't shoot me if I am wrong... just passing on what I hear.