?exhaust leak=no boost?

Rate this topic

More like cock knockers! I've been all over this thing and gotten nowhere. VGT learns perfectly. Plenty of fuel pressure and volume. Replaced leaking ICP and connector. Smoked intake, ok. Smoked exhaust and found some leaks at rear of turbo on the intake cross over. Has brand new turbo on it from another dealer. Checked throttle plate to make sure it was open and someone removed it. Posted Image Performed KA and it leads back to exhaust leak. I just was thinking it would have to be one hell of a leak to only get 3 to 5 psi.

But who knows. I am going to reseal the manifolds and get the y-pipe out tomorrow and get a better look at it.

I removed the cat and guess what, somebody punched out the guts. So basically she is straight piped with a turn down after the axle. I even took the down pipe off looking for any old turbo parts. A golf ball runs straight thru.

Quote:
Will the engine free rev to 3,800 RPM in PARK at WOT?

It's funny you should mention this, she revs good so good you swear the thing is gonna run away. I was slowly running the engine up yesterday and when you get to about 2000 rpm it will keep climbing without anymore throttle angle and I was having to actually back off the throttle quite a bit to keep it around 2500 rpms. Not sure what to think about that.

This truck is not well maintained and has over 4000 hours on it. But the oil looks good and is not overfull. Althought it takes a bit to build base oil pressure. I wonder if I may be dealing with a whole bunch of crap that has come together as one mighty foe.

I'm usually all over these things within an hour of getting the ticket, but this one has givin me a run. I'm probably staring the problem in the face and avoiding it. I will get a fresh look at it today and let you guys know.

Smoked the intake system and used 20 psi of pressure on top of that and it held up flawlessly. Removed cold side cac and looked in and no more than the normal oil carry over was in there. Oil level is right on spot. Used the short stick method to check.

It it possible it is not running right because you don't have a cat on this thing? I haven't had the pleasure to do the KA PPT in a while, but it may have been written with the assumption that you have a catylitic converter.

I removed the map line and blew air thru it. Then "T"ed in a fitting and drove with gage to compare to mgp pid. They both read the same number at about 5 psi. I also ran a coat hanger down the fitting in the intake to check for junk in it. It was as clean as could be given the condition of the vehicle.

Interesting thoughts on the cat. I thought about it to but its been voided for some time now, from what the customer is telling me.

I had to order the y-pipe today. So Thursday I will get the exhaust sealed up and recheck to see where it stands. To be honest, I don't think the engine is making enough heat energy to even turn the turbo. Posted Image

Just seems like it's not fueling or derating or something.

I had an 03 with the same problem and with a stethoscope I found a small leak at the Y-pipe and right exhaust manifold. I repaired the leaks and now it runs great. I didn't think it was enough of a leak to make it run that bad but it was.

Well, I got a praise report for ya. This one is fixed and one for my memory banks. I removed both exhaust manifolds and the left one was warped enough to pop the rear bolt and leave the rest buried in the head. Used a left hand drill bit and got lucky and got the rest of the bolt out. Ended up putting two new manfolds on it along with gaskets and all new hardware including ebp tube.

Removed turbo and y-pipe and egr pipe. The gasket between the two pipes was completely split and the bellows for each pipe has some leaks going on. Replaced these units and disassembled turbo and checked unison ring and vanes. These were ok so I put it back together and reoriented the clamp so it looked better. Reassembled truck and warmed up and allowed to perform a vgt relearn. Drove with ids and got a whopping 25 pounds of boost out of this tired ol girl. I must say I was impressed.

While trying to figure this thing out, I removed the aftermarket oil filter to see if it was collapsed or something stupid. It looked ok so I put it back in. After all was said and done this morning and she was idling in my bay, coworker comes over to me at the parts counter and says "you got oil gushing out of the bottom of that truck". Although it was not bad enough in his mind to shut it off! Posted Image

So I run over and shut er down. It seems the filter o-ring let go. Now I get to relift the truck and change the oil and convert it back to Motorcraft parts. Then I get to degrease the whole thing and wash my floor to boot.

Ahh I feel a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

nice job man.Next time smoke check the exhaust tooo.Just pop out the ebp sensor tape the tailpipe and start smoking. I find leaks 99% of the time that way.

If it makes you feel any better, I spent almost an hour washing and degreasing my bay floor on thurday, only to get a cam sensor recall friday morning on a 7.3 that was leaking fuel as fast as you could put it in the tank. Fuel filter drain housing gizmo leaking. "Oh no, it's okay, we'll fix that ourselves." As well as the lower water pump outlet elbow leaking coolant all over the place. Posted Image

Antifreeze ain't too bad cause water washes the bad away. Trans fluid on the other hand is a bitch. Speedy dry ain't an option in our shop, so we use the absorbant pads and engine degreaser.

The "soap" we use to wash the floor is diluted all to hell (cost cutting) and then it's diluted again by the hydro-ma-foamer or whatever the fuck it's called that applies it to the floor. We aren't supposed to use the engine shampoo because it's too expensive, which I can understand. The best stuff we had in the last little while at the shop I used to work at was the powdered stuff, but you had to make sure that you washed it off real good, or it would stain the floor all white and your stall would look worse than it did before you washed it.

Now that is the type of scary stuff we see here in the North East. I cringe when I see that kind of rust and you have to be very careful about disturbing things you have no intention of replacing. Nunan recently had a job where the head bolts were so rusted you could no longer use a socket because the bolt heads were rotted round.