DP tuners

Rate this topic

Anybody had any experience with this company or its product? I read about it in the new diesel power magazine and have been checking out the web site( www.dp-tuner.com ). I have a buddy that is looking to add some power to his pick-up and wants to try one of these chips. Supposedly he has software and the capability to custom tune and change parameters in the pcm? Has 16 positions and lots of different settings to pick from along with custom tunes available. I am going to call him and see if he will tell me what exactly he is changing to get the power they claim. Thanks for any input.

Yep... I'm sure I could get shot from some people here for admitting this, but I have one of them in my truck, which was purchased thru Dennis at ITP Diesel, it is not the new 16 position model, but the older 4-8position flip chip. I only have 4 modes on mine, stock, a 40hp tow, 80hp economy, and a 140 extreme. Most of the miles on the chip are on either 40 or 80, and with a decent lite foot, fuel economy is a bit better, but nothing extreme, maybe 1 or 2 mpg more depending on weather, roads, and my driving style that day. The 140 just smokes way too much on acceleration for me to drive on it.

Of course, if he does go with anything to enhance performance, I recommend that at the very least he installs a pyrometer and boost gauge to know when to back out of the pedal if towing, and possibly trans temp if he plans to do any kind of heavy towing with it.

Overall, I must say with experience with Hypertech, Superchip, Edge, and DP Products, dealing with Dennis @ ITP for the chip and Jody @ DP for reprogramming after changing my truck to update it they are very good at knowing what to adjust to accommodate specifics for the vehicle you are working with. They can even derate vehicles or lower speed/rev limiters for vehicles with special applications.

I have no problems with aftermarket equipment/modifications, as long as it is done right and the driver doesn’t abuse it, but unfortunately there are way too many people that just bolt or plug it in and drive without knowing they can cause damage without changing there driving characteristics as needed after the change.

Buddy

I will admit that I put performance systems in for people. But I interview my customers before I agree to do anything for them(what are you using this truck for, why do you want the extra power, etc.) I have the approach that the very first thing you do is put in a couple gauges at the very least a pyro. Than you can change the intake and exhaust, than put in a power adder. I am ok with mild tunes as long as they dont cause a lot of smoke. Nobody needs 140 extra hp, unless it is a sled puller or drag racer. I have a 96 7.3 that gets loaded heavy quite a bit and has plenty of power stock. Smoke is just a waste of fuel and gives us a bad reputation. What I like about the DP tuner is that he seems to adjust the parameters in the pcm, not just fool the boost and icp sensors. I never reccomend or endorse performance adders on a guys daily driver, but this pick-up is his toy so to speak, and he wants to start doing some truck pulling with it.

Tree killer? Jeez, Larry... give me a bit more than that....

Has anyone read these terms ? No, I didn't think so....

What part of "not legal for use on public roads " don't we understand?

Larry, don't you ever fucking portray me as a fucking tree hugger.... ever.... fucking never......

Pollution is something we can never avoid... we will never eliminate pollution.... What we CAN do - the only thing we can do is to reduce our personal footprint. And we aren't going to do that the way things are going....

First... we want to be treated as professionals... hey... we are BETTER than lawyers and more talented than doctors... Isn't it funny... at least THEY obey their regulations... Talk to a fucking mechanic and what "Hey sailor.... wanna get lucky?". I "interview" the people I am going to break the law for? WTF is this, guys?

Fuck me... I cannot believe this shit...

we are worried that a mod might make it hard to collect on a warranty claim. We are worried that a mod will make it hard to diagnose a concern.... but we aren't above breaking the fucking law and performing a modification that will defeat emissions controls...

Ford CAN'T do that because EPA wont let them.... but we are above that.

Back when I was a kid, we could drink tapwater.... now people buy bottled water... We stopped using leaded gas because we learned shit... we stopped using R-12 because we learned shit.... we started using EGR valvers because we learned shit... And you young fucks didn't learn not one Goddamned thing from our history.... you are bound and determined to repeat those mistakes from so long ago....

and the victims will be our grandchildren.... yeah... you... you aren't even fucking married yet... one day you will be.. and one day, the children of your child might ask "What did you used to do Poppop?"... And you will reply "I was busy fucking up the air so you can't go outside, sweety.".

I ain't no tree hugger.... but the changes I have seen in the world....

First word comes to my mind is stoopid

I'm with ya, Jimmy. Not only am I with ya, but I bought a DOC/DPF assy off Ebay (from some flake that put a "test pipe" on, no doubt) and I'm looking for some kind of diesel repower truck to install it on. Screw these assholes running McDonald's "Biodiesel", I'll put together a truck that REALLY is cleaner than anything else like it on the road.

Posted Image

Ok now just calm down a bit here Jim. I share a similar view of emissions control as you, but a lot of these things are approved to by our regulators here in the states. There is the California Air Resources Board that has to certify any aftermarket modification sold for on road use in California. Most of the bolt on stuff like air intakes and SOME of the chips hold CARB certification. That being said I do not recommend them nor does any of the technicians in my shop. In fact we just convinced a customer to retain the stock intake and exhaust system on a 6.0 that we had in for a bedplate reseal. Even some of the multiple position chips that are being talked of here have the CARB stamp for positions other then max power. At my shop our reason for not promoting these things is the decreased life of the vehicle and other problems that usually results from them. As for us damn kids not learning the lessons of the past, if you look at the air in major cities in the US from 1960 to now they have gotten cleaner while the population of vehicles has exploded. Let it be said that lawyers make a living out of finding the hole in regulations just as a note there. I personally avoid water all together... fish screw in that stuff. lol. I'll take mine purified with some level of alcohol, something with strong hops please, lol. But Jim always feel free to shake your fist at us and scream for us damn kid to get off your lawn.

Jayson, there ain't no way in hell I am going to calm down (and I hope Larry doesn't take my diatribe too seriously) but this is another of those subjects I feel VERY strongly about...

I realize that some mods actually have the coveted blessing of CARB... and I also realize that most don't....

From some of my revelations, you must also realize that I modify the diddley out of some vehicles.... And not one of them is a daily driver.... And it is rare for any of them to be none compliant for their model year....

We need to differentiate between toy and not toy... My pet shit spewer ran for exactly zero hours last year.... my lawn mower ran for about 10 hours, my weed whacker ran about the same and my chain saw didn't even get picked up....

However..... I was railing against modifications that defeat emissions controls.... In some respects, I would love to see tighter controls... but technology just isn't there yet... My eyes are, indeed, wide open....

Part of our battle.... good tailpipe emissions and good fuel mileage are, currently, mutually exclusive... yet the masses (techs included) still view low fuel consumption as the number one EMISSIONS goal.... WTF is that???? Acceptable tailpipe emissions happen beause we don't allow combustion chamber temps to climb into the range where brake specific mean torque numbers indicate low fuel consumption... The modern Otto-cycle engine is a HEAT engine... the more heat we can generate in a combustion event, the more power we will make - if we can make more power in a given event without increasing fuel consumption.... not only will we improve fuel economy, we will create NOx (not to be confused with NoS).

Urea injection and the SRC *MAY* signal a rethink of traditional conditions.... I'm hopeful that this is a harbinger of improvements to come... but I ain't gonna hold my breath.

Well thought out mods can have a positive result in some respects.... service life of a motor may be extended by performing some mods and observing some maintenance schedules.... Deciding <yeah> or <nay> on any particular modification - the deal is still ALL about tailpipe emissions....

So why do I keep on harping about some of this stuff?

I would love to have a big stack of money.... The quickest way to get a big stack of money that I can think of is too rob a bank. Unfortunately, I am going to break a law or two to get there......

I would love to get better fuel mileage out of my daily driver.... Unfortunately, I am going to contravene a regulation or two to get there.

Now.... everyone is going to say "robbing a bank is a lot different".... Maybe.... but both show a distinct lack of integrity....

One of the things my customers hate about me is that I don't break the rules... the reason that they keep coming back is because they know I don't break the rules.... My old Mum (God rest her soul) would say "In for a Ha'penny.... in for a Pound".

Lawyers make a living out of pushing the envelope..... Lawyers have the luxury of being self-regulating.... We will be butchers and hacks until we show the world different... and one of the ways is to look someone in the eye and say "That is in contravention of the laws that I must abide....".

Hey, sailor..... wanna get lucky?

Bruce.... I'm not entirely sure that bio-D is the big answer anyway.... In terms of renewable resource - ain't nothing but positives.... Has anyone done an intensive analysis of tailpipe emissions?

Where I live, I can't see Bio-D or WVO catching on because of our winters. Our fuel suppliers can deal with waxing quite well.... what would they do with viscosity concerns?

There is a grand reluctance to spend money on new infrastructure... especially considering we still aren't sure where technology will take us....

We always have the opportunity to find new sources of energy or develop the technology required to harvest this energy... In the past, we managed to "tech" our way out of dirty air....

35 years ago..... The EGR valve dealt with oxides of nitrogen.... Thermactor and catalytic convertor dealt with hydrocarbons..... But this technology was in its infancy. Unleaded gas was the new kid on the block and gas mileage landed square n the toilet - overnight.

Today, it appears that we have lost sight of the goal.,...

Low tailpipe emissions....

Larry, don't you ever fucking portray me as a fucking tree hugger.... ever.... fucking never......

and I hope Larry doesn't take my diatribe too seriously) 

Nah Jim, I've got thicker skin than that. I didn't think I portrayed you as a tree hugger, If I did then I am sorry. I was pointing out(or thought I was) that Buddy was a tree killer.(in jest).I myself have just sold a Superchip Cortex to one of the members here just yesterday. We went back and forth and I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be used in the wrong fashion it was intended. As a matter of fact he is quite a responsible individual. If only more customers were more like that.

Oh, great... now I'm left feeling like it's me with the thin skin... Way to go, Larry Posted Image

Something I recall saying a time or two... the masses.... the great unwashed... des kammisados.. those that don't have a grasp of things mechanical...

These are the people that are looking to us to be their protector. As professionals, we will observe and obey the laws covenants and regulations that pertain to us.... BECAUSE WE ARE PROFESSIONALS... We are the saviours of our planet.. If we don't follow the laws and regulations set before us.... what are we?

I don't see what the problem is... The product is clearly marked as being unsuitable for use on public roads... The prostitutes amongst us will continue to supply, install and even "work around" these fucking things to save our "law abiding" customer a few precious dollars....

We will go out of our way to prove to the world that laws are made to be broken, that integrity is for sale, and we are the men to do it....

I'm not a tree hugger.... I eat red meat... I use fossil fuels.... I stay within the letter of the law...

If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the fucking problem....

OKAY Jim...How many of your toy's-vehicles are not the same as factory produced????

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad along the way...

I do have a few my self...

Actually I'm considering building another SBC 400...

The last one would probably make the tree huggers puke Posted Image

Over but just over 550hp on premium Gas...

I want to build another but put about 600hp on the dyno and drop it in a smaller chevy backed by a powerglide.

I'm not a tree hugger but have the same interests and feelings about the kids to come as we all do...

I still like to play but I am still responsible about it...

If it smokes it's broke...

Larry, smoke is likely the least of our worries... It's the shit we can't see that can hurt us the most... CO is colourless and odourless..... I've had CO poisoning.... You do NOT want to go through this...

Oxides of nitrogen react with sunlight and form a brown haze...

I live way out in the sticks.... often, I drive to Edmonton or Calgary.... Used to be, on a calm day, that there was an unmistakable dome over either city... an indication of some of the airborne pollutants...

Today, it is rare to see these types of phenomena... Automotive pollution controls WORK. The vast majority of consumers do not tamper with the emissions controls on their vehicles....

I have no problems with souping up a toy.... how many fucking times do I have to say this? However... your daily driver should never, ever be a toy....

Look at it this way.... I park in the staff parking area. Every morning, I walk to the staff entrance. If I spot trash on the ground, I pick it up and place it in a trash recpticle. If I do this often enough, it becomes remarkable since many others walk this same path, pass the same trash and pass the same trash recepticle..... yet the trash was still there for ME to bend down and pick up....

Now... let us say that I saw someone place trash on the ground along that path.... they didn't stop to retrieve it... they never gave it a second thought...

By now, I would hope that everyone sees where THIS part is going... we haven't touched on legality.... we havent mentioned morality...

We have mentioned someone trying to clean shit up.... and we have mentioned people that expect others to carry their burden....

The Hollies crooned "He ain't heavy, he's my brother...". Fuck that.... He ain't my brother and he's far too fucking heavy... time for him to do HIS part to help save this fucking dirtball our grandchildren are going to be stuck with....

I would hope the term "responsible adult" would mean something.

Actually I'm considering building another SBC 400...

But I'm betting it's going in a pre-emissions vehicle, right? Same here- my modern daily drivers are all bone stock and correct, but my classics are modified....

Posted Image

HOLY CRAP!!! I didnt want to start a war or get anybody wound up. I was just looking for some input on a product. I am sure you guys see a lot more of these things, than I ever will. I greatly value your guys opinions and inputs.

I resent the comment that us fucking kids dont give a crap about the world or anybody living in the future. You are right Jim I am not married and I do not have kids YET. I will be married soon and I hope to have kids. So I do give a crap about the world they would have to live in. I do give a crap about other people and the quality of their lives. I REFUSE to put systems into peoples DAILY DRIVERS. When I said I interview my customers before I work on their vehicle for performance mods, it is for this exact purpose. I will only do mods on peoples TOYS.

Any retard can plug in a chip. You dont need any extra power to pull your boat to the lake, or get a loaf of bread(which is what 80% of the people with these trucks are doing). I have been driving Ford diesels since I was 16 and pulled trailers loaded heavier than they probably should have been and had more than enough power stock. If I need more power than perhaps I need a semi.

Now a guy that wants 1000 Hp so he can pull a sled farther than anybody else at the track that day, I AM IN. That is interesting! Thats a really cool TOY!

As for emission controls: I am all for them. There is no reason a diesel needs to leave a cloud of smoke at every stoplight. Our shop has a terrible exhaust system, even when there is no smoke in the shop the air will choke you up. That is not good for anybody and it is proven that is bad for the environment. I am glad to see that we are making improvements to lessen our footprint on the environment, I have no intentions of helping to move things the other way.

Robert.. I'm sorry if I appear to have leaned a little hard on you... but you didn't make it real clear what side of the street you were playing on....

With GM preaching insolvency and the rest of the "original" auto industry in tatters, we need, more than ever, to have the appearance of utmost professionalism.

FWIW, DP does what all the others do... they pour extra fuel into the combustion chamber up to and including as much as the fuel system will allow... emissions controls defeated right there. We must remember that a big part of the emissions controls is the fuel curve....

A couple of years back, I purchased a Mustang (bone stock) convertible for my wife... I am still waiting for the time some poohawk in a fire-breathing penis enalrger dumps a pile of soot into that car....

No worries Jim. I read back through the thread a few more times and see that to someone reading it I wasnt exactly clear. Thats the pesky thing with human brains I read it twice to myself before submitting and it made sense what I was saying, but to others a bit unclear. I am with you on needing the professionalism in the industry and not bypassing any emissions devices. But hey everybody needs their toys right. Some guys are better at driving them than building them, and others of us are better at building them than driving them. The 7.3 is just my chosen big block. No hard feelings.

• 1 month later...

to answer your orginal question dp is a good company. they stand by their product and it does what it says. I would say its one of the better tuners on the market and driveabilty wise its top notch. smoke output is not all that bad unless your getting stupid with it. smoke from the tailpipe is pretty much like normal calibration unless you slam the throttle from a dead stop or heavy load. you can also switch it back to stock with a push of the button.

I run one and love it. I also drive by my exhuast gauge and can turn it down as my load changes. I do alot of towing and hauling and it has really helped with fuel mileage, power and reponsiveness. on the mild ecomony tune it can hang with a 6.0 all day long.

they can also tailer the tunes to whatever you need. Im very picky on a product like a tuner and wont run just any old crap. I did alot of research before shelling out for one.

Tuners.....

This is something I have seen quite frequently here lately, not problems with the tuners per say....

Turbo's on the other hand....

Alot of turbo failures, with some inquiries and talking with the customers have found out most (around 60-70%) have had installed tuners but done nothing to the intake, or exhaust on these trucks. With further inquiry found out they are running them with the highest level tune programmed. The turbo's are trying to spin faster, quicker and not having enough air flow are sucking the thrust's out of them. We have had a couple of supposed warranty turbo's but found this out and had denied them. I spoke with Bruce about this a couple of weeks ago(by the way Bruce I recieved your package and Paul has it.) People need to be responsible when it comes to changing their trucks performance levels. If they do expect it to break eventually and quicker than stock. The manufacturer builds these for the best and longest lasting performance possible.

Basically I have seen alot of irresponsible individuals put tuners on that had no business doing this, other than to say they did.

My boss has a chevy 2500 with a Duramax and has put on the intake,tuner and exhaust. Has picked up a little better mileage and performance but doen't get crazy with it. It has been on his truck for about 70K now with no problems. He uses it for towing and some long distance traveling. He has been good with his truck, but in the same instance we have customers burning up their turbos for no reason other than stupidity,no common sense. As long as they keep doing this I guess it is job-security for me.

I personally don't recommend them but each person is a individual and will listen to every joe-blow on the net.

• 10 months later...

I have a SCT tuner that I use to download a 80hp tow program written by Jody Tipton of DP-Tuner. I have been running it for three years now and I am very happy with the results. I have a 7.3 powered truck. If I owned a 6.0 or 6.4 I would not run a non-stock tune. The 7.3 is tough enough to handle it.

We had my small inch comp eliminator-style small Chevy running last weekend.

It stopped pulling at 11,600.

You guys oughta hear it. Posted Image

It's going in an off-road vehicle, since I think the RPM that that thing turns would get me in a little trouble driving through town.

No shit hey. I thought my smallblock screams at 7200. You should have fun finding an acessory belt setup that will stay together at that rpm. (if your going to run one) Should've shot a vid for us!

Electric water pump, no alternator but I am going to need to figure out some sort of charging system...need to keep voltage up to support the ignition system at that RPM.

I have a 357" motor that I'm putting in the car as a starter, the little screamer I will need to buy a LOT of extra supporting parts for.

I already have the converter, trans, and rear-gear for the car and the 357 with the dual plane intake on it runs out of pull around 6700-7000rpm, and the car has a 3500 converter in it right now, so it combos out pretty well.

If I wanted to step up to a 5000 converter and a little more gear, I could put a single plane intake on it and probably pick up a little more power, but the low-end would suffer, and if I'm going to be buying a torque converter, I'm going to buy it once for the comp motor. And with the vortec heads on the 357, I am limited to only one or two intake choices for a single plane, and they are both Super-victor style ones, with the huge runners, for 5000RPM - up... I think a Victor Jr. would be a better choice, but unfortunately they don't offer it with the vortec bolt pattern.