03 6.0, runs rough

Rate this topic

Got a truck in today, runs rough and gets worse when warm. It was a gallon low on coolant, so I topped it off. I road tested this thing and it just kept getting worse and worse, then ground to a hault. Shut it off, started right up and ran like a raped ape. Sounds to me like a fuel issue.

While on the road test, I happened to see that EOT and ECT were 28* appart, which I belive is still out of spec. Could a blown oil cooler have anything to do with this driveablility, or is this just another unseen concern by the customer?

This thing is piped up and I assume chiped, it ran good after it shut off and it was making all kinds of black smoke when I had it matted.

I brought it back after the road test and ran the EGR test, it passed all but the last test, where the MAF failed. While idling after the road test, it was making a decent amount of white smoke.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks again,

Brandon

Oil cooler is plugged, and your coolant loss and white smoke may be a result of the EGR cooler taking a poop because the oil cooler was plugged.

Spec is 15* if i remember rightly.

For what it's worth, I can count on my hands how EGR coolers (or cooler) I've ever replaced on any '03 model year (round style cooler), namely ONE. And that was a couple years ago, when the infamous orange hose coolant leak issue was just coming to light, before I was aware that the hose could be bought separately. With an ECT/EOT spread like that I would be inclined to replace the oil cooler (and EGR cooler too just by virtue of being "in there"). I would be more inclined to believe your white smoke issue to be caused by an injector or two, overfueling given that it's an '03. If the MAF reading fails on the Air Management Test, that would certainly impact turbo boost, again given that it's an '03 (assuming it has had the 06E17 reflash). Now, your coolant loss issue, have you ruled out the simple things like the water pump, or any other EXTERNAL leaks? How about DTCs? Does VGT_LRN indicate "yes"?

Pulling the turbo off of this turd, my first early '03 turbo I've had off, so you know whats coming.

How the hell to I get that damned rear turbo bolt out? I can get on it with a twist socket and my 3/8 ratchet that is in a 1/4 inch ratchet body, but I cant get that bastard to break loose.

Last one I did, I used my 11/16 size twist style socket on the washer under the bolt. With a 1/2 length(custom cut to get at 03 ICP sensors)1 1/16 wrench on the socket hex, I rattled it with my air chisel and out it came. The socket hex is slightly smaller than 1 1/16, but close enough that it worked. I found this tip on an old posting on this site and tried it and it worked.

Pulling the turbo off of this turd, my first early '03 turbo I've had off, so you know whats coming.

How the hell to I get that damned rear turbo bolt out? I can get on it with a twist socket and my 3/8 ratchet that is in a 1/4 inch ratchet body, but I cant get that bastard to break loose.

Get your mirror in there with your flame wrench brazing tip and heat up the boss where the bolt threads into. Once heated up, loosen it with your 1/4" drive ratchet and short 10mm socket. Your mirror is going to be your friend here.

I was told about a little over a year go when pulling my first 03 turbo, "that rear bolt is bitch but whatever you do don't strip it". Since then I have invested in deep well and short twist sockets and I have had good luck so far in getting them out without resorting to the torch or pulling the turbo in pieces.

I have cut the bolt off with a torch and a mirror before.

I have seen a guy here remove the front 2 body bolts and raise the front of the cab to get more room to get the bolt out.

All I use is a 10 mm wrench and a prybar against the back of the turbo. Has worked everytime so far.

I haven't done one in a long time, but thats the way I used to break them loose.

I have cut the bolt off with a torch and a mirror before.

I have seen a guy here remove the front 2 body bolts and raise the front of the cab to get more room to get the bolt out.

That was me, but I hesitated to say it because I got harrangued for it the last time, but it does give you more room to work as long as the nuts come off the front mount bolts OK. Also if you need slightly more room, take the second set of body mounts bolts out as well. The 11/16 or 17mm turbo wrench did the job for me on the last one that I did and the front mount nuts didn't come off that one. Posted Image

I got it out by sneaking the torch back in there and heating up the boss. It actually was pretty easy once I got the mirror positioned in the right spot. It was all down hill after that though, I couldn't get the coolant tube out of the front cover and one guy said "just try getting a punch in there and hitting up on the tube", well now I have a front cover coming for today as well.

Thanks for all of your tips guys,

Brandon

I spray the crap out of it with WD-40 then put a 6 pt 10mm wrench and use a big pry bar. It works for me. I have used a torch to remove though. I just replaced an oil cooler on one. The EGR cooler was still good. I hadn't done an 03 in so long the turbo gave me a hard time.