6L leaking oil sending units

Rate this topic

Wondering if anyone else is running into this problem, in the last month after doing oil cooler replacements the trucks are coming back with oil senders leaking threw them. Now we first thought that maybe it was becuase we had been putting the top covers into the parts washer along with the oil sender attached, So i got my guys to start removing them prior to cleaning them. But they are still failing, anyone else having this same problem? Now i have one in this morning that is leaking yet again, this would be the sencond sender. If it was cause of high oil pressure u would think seals would fail way before a sender would. And also half were oil ccoler kits and the other were complete assemblies

50 % of the EGR coolers I do wind up with a leaking sending unit it seems. However, I have replaced quite a few sending units on trucks that haven't had oil coolers changed. I had wondered for a while if it was something I was doing wrong as well.

I've replaced quite a few of my share myself, for leaking through the center and/or the gauge reading no pressure at idle and increasing as the engine is revved up.

Ive had a few of these as well. We did have one problem child that just refused to still leak however. ended up replacing 4 or 5 of them then found the oil pressure was way high

At my last job we had one that came in with a leaking sender. After it was originally replaced it came back two times because the replacement sender was leaking. The truck came back on the hooks both times because it was leaking so bad. The new senders only lasted about a day or so.

I'm actually a little scared to replace one.

I have also seen these oil sending units leak (the one for the gauge), but I have never seen the oil temp sensor leak(the one for the pcm). And both are on the same oil passage on the oil cooler cover.

Just wondering if the oil pressure could be climbing too high. I remember checking oil pressures when cold, it can climb to about 100 psi when reved up, drops down to about 40 psi when hot.

I though that 100 psi was a problem. Checked a few more trucks, and they all had about the same pressures when cold.

I think if the oil pump pressure relief valve was stuck closed, the pressure would likely go well above 100 psi cold. But then you would think it would blow the plastic oil filter cap off...

Amazing how much temperature influences pressure eh?

Stick a plug in a cold hole and try to move it back and forth to see how much drag it creates. Once that hole warms up I'm sure you'll notice that things just start flowing better. Posted ImagePosted Image

hey Rock, how high was your oil pressure? Have one now with 3 failed in past few months.

100+ range if I remember correctly. Im trying to remember what the hell I did to fix that truck. Its been a couple years since I had that winner Posted Image

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning
Amazing how much temperature influences pressure eh?

Stick a plug in a cold hole and try to move it back and forth to see how much drag it creates. Once that hole warms up I'm sure you'll notice that things just start flowing better. Posted ImagePosted Image

A few glasses of wine have the same effect. Posted Image

This is an 07 E350, and loves to eat engine oil pressure senders. This guy had 4 senders and last one lasted 2 miles. They just leak like sieve at the electrical connector and fails. Hotline said replace the sender and fill connector with die-electric. After that wham, sender failed. Checked engine oil pressure and found 60 psi at idle, 80 at wot. Doesn't make any sense. You guys have any ideas? North American Diesel states that there's no record of multiple failures.

Originally Posted By: OHNO60
hey Rock, how high was your oil pressure? Have one now with 3 failed in past few months.

100+ range if I remember correctly. Im trying to remember what the hell I did to fix that truck. Its been a couple years since I had that winner Posted Image

I had an early build that would always come in with oil leaks(everything but the oil sender). I could never get that engine to stop leaking oil. Anyways, I checked the oil pressure and I can't remember what it was, but it was way over 100psi. I called hotline because I thought that was a problem and causing this truck's habitual oil leaks. Hotline said it was fine and they can handle way more oil pressure than that. I can't remember what the max oil pressure was. I wish I wrote that down.

I have seen 3 fail after replacing egr and oil coolers. I also thought it might be also because of leaving them in parts washer because they have failed sortly after repair.

I can say I have had 3 of these senders leak after oil cooler kit was installed and they were the only three I put in parts washer.We use a Cuda machine for parts washing that dosent use any kind of harsh solvent.If you are familar with these they spray hot water and a soap additive but for some reason seem to affect these sensors.I take sensor out now and havent had anymore issues.

I don't think it is the washer solvents. I have had some do this after high pressure injection repairs. I think it may have something to do with the quick and sudden surge of high oil pressure after the oil system has been opened up and bled down. This things will build 100 psi cold at times. I may be wrong, but I still think it is related to the surge of high pressure.

I've never had a sender leak yet. But as far as high oil pressure, I just had a 2006 fire truck with 4,100 miles on it with the turbo bearings out of it and I was checking oil pressure and it was 85 psi cold and 135 at 1500 rpm. I asked the hotline what high spec was and wondering if I had a stuck regulator and they said these engines can make up to 200 psi cold.