Intake leak testing with pics

Rate this topic

I had to smoke test an intake system on an '05 F-550 for a low boost concern to rule out an intake leak today so I took some photos of the ordeal. I used to use the map hose to do this but found it not quite as complete a test as I would like. The map fitting in the intake is pretty small in diameter and it’s kinda like blowing up an inflatable raft with a coffee stirrer. So I upgraded to my procedure to the way the hotline recommends.

This is the truck intact.

Posted Image

Remove the radiator degas hose from the degas bottle to remove the air cleaner as an assembly.

Posted Image

I took an old fuel filter and cut one of the ends off of it so I could use it to hook the radiator and egr degas lines together when unhooked from the degas bottle. This cuts down on quite a bit of coolant mess and I cap the degas nipples off with vacuum caps.

Posted Image

With the air cleaner out of the way, remove the two nuts retaining the air intake hose bracket to the front ficm bracket studs.

Posted Image

Pry the bracket up off the studs.

Posted Image

Remove the crankcase depression regulator hose from the valve cover,

Posted Image

And remove the intake hose from the truck.

Posted Image

Unplug the IAT2 sensor.

Posted Image

Remove the IAT2 sensor from the intake.

Posted Image

Prepping the smoke machine to introduce smoke into the intake.

Posted Image

Place the smoke supply hose into the IAT2 hole.

Posted Image

Inject smoke into the intake until it comes out of the turbo inlet, this ensures the system is completely full, then cap it off.

Posted Image

Remove the smoke supply hose.

Posted Image

Use regulated shop air to simulate boost pressure, in this case the regulator is set at 25 psi.

Posted Image

Using a rubber tipped blow gun apply the regulated shop air into the IAT2 hole to pressurize the intake system and help find any stubborn leaks.

Posted Image

Some cold side of charge air cooler leak points.

Posted Image

Hot side of charge air cooler on passenger side of truck is a common area for the tank to separate from the charge air cooler assembly.

Posted Image

Hot side cac hose, this one has an aftermarket belt driven PTO and has more leak connection points.

Posted Image

This truck passed the test with flying colors. In fact the intake system was sealed so well, that when I put air pressure in the intake it blew the shipping cap off the turbo that I had installed.

I hope this job is retail, and hope you're charging EXTRA time for all the bullshit under the hood. What will you be charging, if it turns out to be the dreaded cracked exhaust up-pipe to the turbo?

Quote:
dreaded cracked exhaust up-pipe to the turbo?

This job is warranty. I just installed that engine and when I started it up it skipped and had no power. The motor was a running complete. The skip was a pin pullout on the number 8 injector harness. The wire shortened up somehow and I actually had to solder in a section to get it to stay in the hardshell connector.

No power was attributed mostly to a clogged cat. But still only made 12 psi when running a down pipe only. I smoked the intake just to make double sure it was ok, and now the turbo is coming off. It's definetly sticking or binding.

As far as the up pipes and y-pipes are concerned, they are tit for me, because I pull the trans to do them.

Can you imagine how strong the paint smell must be at the rebuild plant for 6.0's? THAT much paint on an engine HAS to mean a lot of paint fumes!

CAT rebuilds them, anyhow. Surprised they ain't yellow.

There might be multiple rebuilders supply both FMC and IH. Isn't Franklin Power Products in Franklin, IN still supplying them, too?

Posted Image

I thouht that reviva was the engine rebuilder for ford? I was at my local fuel shop the other day and they sell reviva remans. One of his technicians used to work for a ford dealer and he said if you pull back the ford reman sticker that it says reviva right underneath of it. Dont quote me because I havent seen it myself. But the guys there have always been real honest with me.

My drop in (pictured above) had a dyno sheet with it from a facility identifying itself as a "CATERPILLAR REMANUFACTURING FACILITY"

Or something to that effect. I'll see if I've got the sheet anywhere still.

That is very interesting, I didnt know that. It is wierd all the problems and issues you guys have with your remans. We hardly ever have a problem with our cat REMAN engines. You learn something new everyday.

We hardly ever have a problem with our cat REMAN engines.

In general, Cat engines are much superior in quality to Powerstroke engines, so it only stands to reason Cat remans would be of higher quality than PSDs. There may be some differences in standards used during rebuilding, due to financial reasons. Cats were never known to be cheap, but Ford.....

Posted Image

Originally Posted By: Aaron

CAT rebuilds them, anyhow. Surprised they ain't yellow.

There might be multiple rebuilders supply both FMC and IH. Isn't Franklin Power Products in Franklin, IN still supplying them, too?

Posted Image

Frankilin Reman is now run by Caterpillar. This was part of a law suit settlement between Navistar and Cat. Cat was suing due to Navistar not using enough of there engines based on some agreement. Most of the cat stuff now goes to export. Franklin does supply to navistar and there stuff is terrible.