1998 explorer trans advice

Rate this topic

I have a 1998 explorer 4wd with a trans concern that i could use some good advice on.I don't normally do trans problems and this is a vehicle of mine that i am having trouble with.It started out just going into neutral at times while driving.bringing the vehicle to a stop and putting the vehicle into park and back to drive would make the problem disappear for a few days.The vehicle now will try to pull in reverse and in overdrive gear selector positions but seems to be slipping or not engauging good.The vehicle pulls normally in manual 1st and can be shifted while moving into man 2nd and seems to pull normally.I dropped the valve body and replaced the seperator plate and gaskets and installed the updated epc pressure relief valve that was reccomended in the tsb for the seperator plate gasket blowing but my gasket seemed ok.I have looked at the band/clutch application chart and most of the clutches and bands have to work to allow man 1st and 2nd .Anybody got any advice on what to check or anyone seen this issue before? Our trans guy quit a few weeks ago and the new guy isn't much.Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advice on where to go on this one.Could it be a electrical concern and not have any codes or tcil illuminated?

Do you have GOOD compression braking in manual 1st? Broken LOW/REVERSE bands are pretty common to fail on those 5R55E trannys.

I would go ahead and break out the gage and check line pressure and EPC pressure before going any further. Just follow the shop manual procedure, it's pretty straight forward. If you don't have a gage set, you may have to do some scrounging up and borrow one.

OK... we are talking a 12 year old trans, right? One with how many miles on it?

What would we recommend to a paying customer?

Sarcasm aside.... the WSM has a drive cycle test... do it. This test is designed to help you determine which apply members are having trouble.

In all honesty, Fords trans diag work ups are good... Add http://www.toolcrib.ca/download/power_flow.pdf and you can't go wrong.

Bear in mind that many of Fords transmissions have "gotchas"... things you need to be aware of when you "go in". FWIW, I refuse to open a trans if I don't already have a pretty damned good idea of what I am expecting to find once I get in there.

The 5R55 is a complex trans and I recall about 3 or so things that don't happen like you'd expect... but I'm getting away from what I mean to say....

There is a known concern with the servo piston bores... there is an aftermarket work around... I have to leave it at that since I don't have much 5R55 experienece - but my kids Ranger tosses a code now and again...

And here in lies the "cure".... a 12 year old trans... Keerist knows how many miles on it... after all, that's not important (I hope you can handle SNIDE).... You will try and sell your customer a rebuilt, yes? Because a rebuilt is going to address any and all concerns within the trans - right? And this is going to be the end to the troubles without starting to dig a money pit, right?

I'm the only trans guy we got... and I ain't much... I can put a C6 sprague in backwards with the best of them (an old inside joke).

If it's warranty - cost cap it if you can... if it's retail recommend an off the shelf.... if it's your buddy... run away - run away very fast.

Even worse,It's my own vehicle jim.I have rebuilt a few c4's and a c6 but i know these are a diffront beast.I'll check the pressures and do some looking at that nice powerflow you linked.I do want to have a good idea of where to go before i jump in and i do have a unit with some good parts that i switched out of it about two years ago.New ones are high and i'm just foolish enough to try and repair it if it's not gonna be terrible.With the fluid clean and no junk in the pan and manual 1st and 2nd operational it eliminates alot of hard parts.I'll update with my findings next week.Tranny came from a wrecked unit and now should be pushing 100,000 miles

No need for the aftermarket workaround anymore, either Jim. Ford has a TSB regarding how you can completely fuck up the trans case in about 12 easy steps!

• 3 weeks later...

Removed trans found front one way clutch plastic cage broken and clutch not working,cage jammed sideways not allowing movement either direction.Pulled apart all the clutch packs air check and look ok.No other hard parts looked damaged.Will the one way failure cause the issues i have?I'm not much on these automatics. looking for some expert advice.thanks guys