'08 Escape Transmission Fluid Coolers

Rate this topic

Just curious. What do you guys charge RETAIL to change this part? Let's face it. Even under the TSB, almost any idiot like myself can have one of these done in ten minutes here and it pays a generous 1.1 hours(which is probably why I rarely get to do one at my store).

How do you guys do it? Do you remove the grill entirely (like everyone at my shop does, except me)? Or, do you disconnect the top two grill bolts from the rad support, and remove the three plastic push clips at the front of each wheel well, and let the grill and front fascia assembly hang down for better access to the two trans lines (like the way I do it)?

Keith, Jim, Aaron, Dwayne?

take the bolts out at the top and the "speed nuts" off the inside of the grill and take it out. use long needle nose pliers to remove the clamps and long hose pliers like thesePosted Image to get the hoses off and back on. takes about half an hr including checking the trans fluid. most of the time is waiting for the A/C machine to finish

most of the time is waiting for the A/C machine to finish

I agree. But my original question was how much to charge RETAIL, given that this part is only covered for 3/60 (3/36 for you Americans), we're already seeing a rash of repeat failures after warranty expiry.

In the 'real' world, one would take the factory time of 1.1 hours and multiply by 1.4 giving roughly 1.6 hours

If you've done a few and have the shortcuts down pat.... and the shortcuts DO NOT affect the quality of the repair, you may chose to pass some of the savings on to your customer (God knows repeat retail customers are nice to have) - that is a matter of choice.

Too often, we find ourselves pricing ourselves out of the market.... but neither do we want to "give it away".

In the 'real' world, one would take the factory time of 1.1 hours and multiply by 1.4 giving roughly 1.6 hours

That sounds about right.

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman
If you've done a few and have the shortcuts down pat.... and the shortcuts DO NOT affect the quality of the repair, you may chose to pass some of the savings on to your customer (God knows repeat retail customers are nice to have) - that is a matter of choice.
No, it definitely DOES NOT. And in this particular case, I certainly wouldn't mind passing on some of the savings to the customer. To me, it's in the interest of avoiding a scenario where the job is finished, and the customer bitches, "How can you guys justify charging me $170 for labour when the job only took 45 minutes..."

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman
Too often, we find ourselves pricing ourselves out of the market.... but neither do we want to "give it away".
That was the point of this post. Thanks for your input Jim. And I assume even YOU have had the pleasure of doing some of these, in your neck of the woods too. Keith obviously hasn't, judging by his response.

Keith obviously hasn't, judging by his response.

That would be correct. I was thinking about this last night and realized that I have for the most part been working only on diesel trucks. I have never sat in or driven, let alone worked on the following Ford products since the 2003 model year: Escape, F150, Explorer, Expedition Focus, Fusion, Edge, 500/Taurus, GT and the last two incarnations of Mustangs.

I apologize for the mini high-jack. Now back to our topic...

Yes, Mike.. the Escape is quie popular in our area... we received our very first Hybrid only yesterday o day before...

I think Ford would prefer for us to remove the front bumper cover during this repair to avoid any possible damage... even though I expect the SLT for this op to be re-engineered when Ford finally realizes that this is how it is being done and (so far) I don't think anyone has seen cracked paint or other concerns.

Every time we can find a quicker way to do something, they will reflect that in a new time allotment.

I've done my fair share of these cooler/condensers but we pretty much leave it as an apprentice type job any more.

A long, long time ago, be back in the early 80s..... a guy in an old Chevy pick up drove up to the bay doors... it was obviously flooding... I removed his air filter and, using my little 2 ounce gasket making hammer, I tapped on his QudraJet carburettor close to where the fuel line entered. The truck smoothed out and stopped blowing black smoke. "Five bucks, please", sez I.... "All you did was hit my motor", he complained... "I hit your motor for free - the five bucks is for knowing where to hit it....".

"Five bucks, please", sez I.... "All you did was hit my motor", he complained... "I hit your motor for free - the five bucks is for knowing where to hit it....".

Point well taken, LOUD AND CLEAR.

Jim, your way with words ceaselessly amaze me sir.

FWIW: this is from Mitchell

AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM - Complete Charge - [includes: Recover, evacuate, and recharge system. NOTE: When performed in conjunction with other heating or air conditioning repairs, deduct .2.]

1.4 hours

CONDENSER - Remove & Replace - [DOES NOT include System Charge.]

1.0 hours.

I never do these warranty, let alone retail.

I am the only diesel tech at my shop. So I stay busy.

• 2 months later...

New FSA

Customer Satisfaction Program 09B10: Certain 2008 Model Year Escape and Mariner Vehicles Equipped with an Automatic Transmission - Transmission Fluid Cooler Inspection / Repair

I attached the dealer and technical bulletins PDF's to this post for your reading enjoyment.

Escape grilles separate from the bumper cover and don't need the bumper cover to be removed for the repair.

Mariners have a grille permanently attached to the bumper cover and thus the bumper cover must be removed.

It really sucks when you can do a job quick and efficiently and the ppl at the front desk stop handing those tickets to you.I had a similar exp. with the crown vic trans campaign. The 06 were nice, i think it paid almost 6hrs. with reprogram pcm if i recall correctly. i had them down to under 4hrs. They had me show other guys that were being paid small and every week i would get less and less. The worst part was those guys would not plug in the pds's to the wall when they were done.

Escape grilles separate from the bumper cover and don't need the bumper cover to be removed for the repair.

Mariners have a grille permanently attached to the bumper cover and thus the bumper cover must be removed.

Thanks man! Don't see too many Mariners up here in Canada, and even less with condenser failures!

Posted Image

Now has anyone price out a fluid cooler lately, before they ran close to $900 (canadian) and now my parts manager told me last week they where $87.I don,t know if that was a mistake or not but he ordered a couple at that price.

Now has anyone price out a fluid cooler lately, before they ran close to $900 (canadian) and now my parts manager told me last week they where $87.I don,t know if that was a mistake or not but he ordered a couple DOZEN at that price.

Fixed that for ya.... Posted Image