Right side up-pipe removal tricks???

Rate this topic

The first two I had, it seemed like the turbo down-pipe just fell out. The last two I have done I had to really fight to remove and then install the down-pipe. The one I did this morning, I left the down-pipe in the vehicle and moved it around while I replaced the up-pipe. It was still a bitch.

Does anyone have any tricks for removing the down-pipe and up-pipe on these things? I do remove the nut for the battery cable on the starter and I think that helps a little. I do know one tech that removes the body when doing this job.

Guess what my next job is? Yep, it's another right side up-pipe. Posted Image I shouldn't be complaining though, I do make good time on them. Posted Image

With the trans out, does the engine tilt back slightly and bind up on the exhaust? Maybe if you put a stand under the oil pan it would help some?

I've never had a problem getting the down pipe out. Are you trying to do it with the transmission in place?

Remove the body?? Really?? I figure the 20 minutes it takes to remove the transmission is way quicker.

Last one i did i had to push up on the front of the engine with a tall jack stand, then downpipe (literaly) fell out. Also i think removing egrt sensor helped. It was a while ago.

I've never had a problem getting the down pipe out. Are you trying to do it with the transmission in place?

Remove the body?? Really?? I figure the 20 minutes it takes to remove the transmission is way quicker.

+1

With the trans out, does the engine tilt back slightly and bind up on the exhaust? Maybe if you put a stand under the oil pan it would help some?

That's what I was thinking when I was taking the second one apart yesterday. What I did was removed the top bellhousing bolts, and then I tilted the back of the trans as high as it would go. Then I modified a 2X4 and wedged it beetween the oil pan and the frame. The down-pipe came right out. No problems at all. Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what is a legitimate time to charge out on these under cp?

if I read the slts correctly it is 6.3 warr. time is that correct?