I wonder if it's just me...

Rate this topic

Alex Bruene

So, I posted this on PROTECH this afternoon, and I was somewhat surprised with some of the responses...

"We just recieved a phone call from a customer with an E-450. He is looking for a new place to service his truck, because the dealership he had been going to for years has asked him to stop bringing it to them because it is too heavy to lift, and since they are a union shop, they can't make their technicians work on it on the floor. Nice!"

I am surprised to read about how many people actually refuse to work on something because you can't hoist it... At least 50% of the stuff I work on is too heavy to lift, and I can't imagine having a job for too much longer if I were to refuse work for that reason (or any reason, really)...

I don't mind working on the floor. That's how I had to work on motorhomes, replacing cylinder heads and exhaust manifolds on the old 460s that would warp and crack. I actually got pretty good at doing them too, before the dealer closed down. Now, if the vehicle is too LONG to bring inside the shop, that's a whole 'nother story .....

I do a lot of 6.0 E-van classes. I hear the (indy) techs tell me every excuse known to man that their dealers have given them why they can't/won't/don't want to work on their rigs. Some have resigned themselves to doing ("warranty") work in their shops and eating the cost of it. They claim it's better than sending it to the dealer, having it sit there 2-3 weeks and be returned unfixed. I've heard it from every corner of the country, so it's not just a few bellyachers, it's a true epidemic nationwide. All I can do is shake my head.....

Posted Image

I have worked outside in -30 weather several times chasing temperature sensitive things.. "tain't no big thaing...".

As for customer service? I guess that some guys feel that the customer is here for their convenience...

As for the Onions... they will poison their own well.

Everything we do is on the floor. Our shop doesn't even have a hoist; other than the portable 2 posts we use for cab lifts. If it doesn't get done on the floor in the shop, we have a real nice concrete pad outside the shop, and the shoulder of Highway 401 is too bad a spot either. Wish it was that easy to refuse work and still have a job !

I don't mind working on the floor. That's how I had to work on motorhomes, replacing cylinder heads and exhaust manifolds on the old 460s that would warp and crack. I actually got pretty good at doing them too, before the dealer closed down. Now, if the vehicle is too LONG to bring inside the shop, that's a whole 'nother story .....

Maybe now your life long dream of not working on Econolines can be achieved... as this was one of your partner dealerships it came from...

When I had the shop we only had two 9000 lb lifts, so any MD/HD work and a lot of bigger LD work was done on the floor. Wreckers were about the largest thing that would go on a rack, maybe a 6-7' dump but no more. Many longer dumps, 350/550 flatbeds, rollbacks, etc. were done on the floor with no complaints from the guys, and some even preferred the floor. Many/most MD/HD shops do not have lifts for the big stuff anyway.

Two of my techs one time told me they wanted to get a union in my shop and I couldn't do anything about it. I boiled over immediately, saying it would be a cold day in Hell there was a union in my shop and yes, there was something I could do about it- close the doors. I told them the shop was officially closed the minute a union set foot inside and they should test me on that. That was the last time that ugly word was mentioned.

I have a personal agenda against unions starting when I was 18 and fired over a union dispute, which is an ugly story that has left me bitter and full of hatred against unions my entire adult life. My dad warned me that union guys are lying MFers and would lie to my face. As a stupid kid I didn't believe him, and boy, was I wrong. One of my happiest moments was several years later seeing the business agent that F*ed me go to prison for stealing pension funds.

If anyone on this forum is considering starting a union movement I'd think twice.

Posted Image

PS Getting fired in 1978 was the best thing that happened to me, leading to a successful life of self-employment. That's the last time I worked for anyone.

Posted Image

Maybe now your life long dream of not working on Econolines can be achieved... as this was one of your partner dealerships it came from...

That doesn't surprise me in the least bit. Given that any job that rolls into our shop that presents ANY kind of "challenge" always seems to migrate into my hands. I guess that's how I got weasled into being the "diesel bitch" at my store. For the record, I won't refuse to work on any vehicle that I have reasonable access to, and when I say reasonable access, I don't necessarily mean a vehicle that I can lift on my hoist. If a vehicle is impossible to bring inside the shop due to its length, I don't mind changing a drive belt or battery outside, but ask me to pull cylinder head(s) on said vehicle THAT is another story.....

Hmmmm, let me guess, this wouldn't happen to have been Formula Ford would it, given its close proximity to your doorstep? And for the record, I have never said I REFUSE to work on E-Series PERIOD. I just said that I don't enjoy working on them.

Recently helped one of the guys put the 6speed spicer back in a F650, no hoist required there. I don't know how high you would want to lift that trans anyway. I work outside regularly, if it is a no start or if the vehicle can't be moved for whatever reason. It's usually easier to do that than screw around for an hour trying to get it into the shop. Any when it is -30 out and the Cummins in the F750 won't go, you go outside and get it going because the only way it will move is under it's own power. I think alot of guys have flat rate disease real bad, and every job is just dollar signs, if it's not easy they ane not interested. I like money as much as the next guy, but if someone brings me their vehicle to fix, i will do what it takes to fix it, and hopefully retain that person as a customer.

Hmmmm, let me guess, this wouldn't happen to have been Formula Ford would it, given its close proximity to your doorstep? And for the record, I have never said I REFUSE to work on E-Series PERIOD. I just said that I don't enjoy working on them.

I'm not going to say where it came from, because for all I know, the customer made it all up... I doubt it, but it's possible...

And, I was being a bit sarcastic about the working on Econoline thing... but I imagine you got my drift.

I always work on the floor and somewhat prefer it. I dont have a hoist at my personal shop(not going to put one in unless I own the building). At work we dont have a hoist and cant lift anything we work on anyway. I know cummins across the road from us has one of those portable set ups for lifting motorhomes. I did get to use a hoist when I worked at a service station in tech school, it was kind of nice but my neck would bug me after looking up all day working under the hoist. Either way has its advantages and disadvantages. I dont know maybe it is just the truck mechanic in me, I would just rather work off the floor. I cant see hoisting a 1200 lb 18 spd transmission 4 feet off the floor being real stable or safe

I dont mind working on anything, but our shop doors are only 9 feet high. My bay is about 27 ish feet long before im up against the car in the bay infront of me. If it will fit in, i will do it, but like has been previously said, if it is a quick or simple job i will do it outside, but im not about to re and re a motor or heads out in the lot.