Now I've really heard it all...

Rate this topic

Alex Bruene

We received a call today from the service manager at one of the local dealerships. It turns out they have a truck that needs an engine, but they don't want to do it because their warranty is too high, so they were asking if we could do it.

It doesn't surprise me a bit though. With all these bullshit chargebacks and absolutely fucking retarded comments like "Rarely claimed labour operation" or "above national average", it doesn't surprise me a darned bit. Imagine how this shit looks to the customers. I'm sorry sir, but we have reached our warranty quota for the month and you are just going to have to wait or go somewhere else. What the fuck has this industry come to?

And ford reported 2.1 Billion USD profit for first quarter.

My profit would go up if I could figure way to badger those I owe into taking less.....................

We must be the only place that doesn't give a rats ass about how high our warranty is. Our goal is to fix trucks, and keep them on the road... No matter what it takes... Engines, warranty add-ons, whatever...

They actually asked how high our warranty is... We answered, "we don't know, we don't care"... Funny how some people prioritize.

up until now our dealer hasn't had many problems with our warranty being high. last week we got charged back oil because i changed the oil when i replaced an oil cooler. i have done this several times without a problem. they said it is not dierected to do by the workshop manual. i looked in the wsm and it doesnt say to change oil with front gasket or head gasket replacement either. so what i am getting from this not to charge out oil under warr for anything anymore.

Sidebar..... waaaayyyyyy back when... Early 80s would be the time frame.

Let's say that you replaced an intake gasket on a V-8 (bearing in mind that, on the engines of the day, this would expose the engine internals to possibe contamination) - Ford Canada would not pay for the oil change... however, Ford insisted that the customer receive (and pay for) the better (and spendier) FL-1A rather than the "consumer price" oriented CFL-1 oil filter.

The CFL-1 was the dollar 95 alternative to the FL-1A thatv Motorcraft sold so that they could compete in aftermarket sales with Fram and others. Disemboweling a CFL-1 and FL-1A would reveal some stark difference between the two and show why the 1A was more expensive AND preferable.

When preparing an order list for so many repairs, it is interesting to see that many fasteners receive different treatment... all over the place.

In the WSM, you might see "remove and discard".... or, you might see "remove" with the "discard" advice coming in the assembly instructions (if the assembly instructions aren't the cryptic "reverse disassembly" variety.... read) as in "discard the old fasteners and install new....". What can be an eye-opener is that so many of these required fasteners are US stock (for us Canucks) meaning they are almost a week away - "no stock planet earth" meaning nobody is going to wait that long.... or nearly unfindable.

So many fasteners are "remove and discard" simply because they have sealer or threadlock applied... we can do this in the field (if it comes out with goo - it should go back in with goo) as long as it isn't torque to yield.

Disclaimer.... todays assemblies are (in some respects) very different from those in a different era. For example.... how many torque SuperDuty 4X4 ball joints? How many know the sequence? Some of the techniques the engineers ask us to employ are just plain anal... but not one of them is willing to "sign" off on relaxing the standard.... Some of the techniques the engineers ask us to employ will make your life hassle free and should never be overlooked.

How to determine the difference.....