Frustrated 6.0L Owner

Rate this topic

Holy shit. SIX CuDL files open in this last month that passed. I was just reading through some of them. I'm not sure if I should post the details of the CuDL files.

How do you access cudl's? Whenever i try it comes up and says i dont have access.

I have a slightly higher inford access level than most techs. My STARs access is at manager level, and I can view CuDL Reports on my level.

How does his truck run at this point?

Doesn't mention that his truck has had "$15,000.00" of repairs on FORD'S DIME!

Seems to me maybe he's so pissed 'cause his warranty ran out a month ago!

Dealer Information

Dealer Name KARL FLAMMER FORD INC

Dealer Code: 04970 - *

Address: 41975 U.S. 19 NORTH

City: TARPON SPRINGS

State: FL Zip Code:34689

Phone: (727)513-5131

Injectors, hpop, egr cooler/oil cooler, bed plate reseal, turbo, head gaskets. Most of the ones I do leave the shop at $3-4000. range. Then six months later they come back for another round (different problem/repair of course) My cousin spends 4-6K a year on his 03 6.0l to keep it running. I don't know what is wrong with him.

I won't quote the remarks in Cudl or give any customer information, but As you can see from running Oasis the last repair consisted of EGR/Oil cooler replacement with turbo cleaning and new unison ring ECT. The total bill was around $3300, and ford gave assistance along the lines of $1600... Which they didn't have to do because the vehicle was out of warranty. The customer was still unsatisfied and felt Ford should foot the entire bill. There were several communications between the customer and Ford on the matter, and one of those times the customer hung up on the Ford rep after swearing at him. The last report looks like it's from some bystander who called in after seeing that sign.

I don't know about you guys, but if it were me, and Ford paid nearly half of a repair bill on a vehicle out of warranty, I would be happy and thank them for it. No good deed goes un-punished I guess.

As far as Cudl access goes... Much like Mike, I too have my tentacles into things I'm not supposed to. In this case it seems the customer wants the world to know their story. As a professional I will protect their identity anyway.

In this case it seems the customer wants the world to know their story.

Oh I think I pretty much figured THAT out when I first saw the poster. My question is, what in the hell is that intended to achieve? Is he looking for sympathy? It's not like he's alone or anything. I mean, it's not like his OASIS Report looks like anything I'm not used to seeing on most 6.0L trucks that have darkened my doorstep yet. I would hate to imagaine THIS guy being the owner of a 6.4L, that went through three engines!!!

I can't look at oasis reports etc; but if I was a customer and my 6.0 that is 5yrs old has had a couple egr/oil coolers replaced under warranty, numerous injectors, a few turbo sticking conditions, I would be pissed if I had to pay for any of these repeat failures when the truck was just out of warranty. If international stepped up to the plate and actually fixed these problem parts instead of just replacing them with the same quality parts that have failed numerous times over while the engine was under warranty, then we would have a lot less pissed off customers.

It's obvious the owner is a jerk. He figures if he cries loud enough Ford might buy the truck back just to shut him up and stop the bad publicity.

When I see long Oasis reports with numerous major repairs, I have to feel some of this could have been avoided by proper diagnostics and not having to abide by Ford's controversial warranty system. It's rare to see a warranty report in ISIS as long as many I've seen in Oasis. There's something more to these repairs than meets the eye, and I think a lot of these repairs don't pass the sniff test. I could elaborate on this but I think everyone here knows what I'm thinking.

Posted Image

This epitomizes the the whole 6.0L debacle.

<begin fucking rant>

Yes the owner is a jerk-off but look at the catalyst. The 6.0L from the beginning was plagued by stubborn driveability issues, component problems and a long list of piss-poor patches that brought frustrated technicians a parade of recalls, reflashes and TSB's that changed more frequently than Jim changes underwear. We also know the vehicle owners play a role in the reliability and performance of these engines due to neglect, abuse and aftermarket engineering.

Even though we have come a looooong way with this engine, the 6.0L scenario can best be summed up as a giant shit sandwich which I am forced to take a big fucking bite from every God damn day as Ford Motor Company does their best to save money by cutting corners on repairs and creating an atmosphere where technicians don't give a shit anymore. How many trucks have you repaired after some other technician had to throw a Ford branded band-aid at it, threw parts at it because he didn't know what he was doing or simply threw the parts in the garbage or his toolbox?

I don't think that I am alone in that as a technician I sometimes feel EXACTLY like this jerk-off with the sign on his truck does. The one thing that keeps me from pulling my tool box over on myself and crushing my skull is the fact that I continuously roll trucks out the door running perfectly and have many customers that know how to care for their 6.0L trucks.

I still have my pride. At least they cant take THAT away from me.

<end fucking rant>

I would say that the history on that thing ain't real bad. There are a couple of repairs on there (oil leaks if I remember correctly) that look like they may have been technician fuckups...IE: rear cover gets replaced, HPOP cover starts leaking shortly afterwards...

I think that guy might get a little more credibility if the fucking sign had the letters all straight to each other on it.

Quote:
I think that guy might get a little more credibility if the fucking sign had the letters all straight to each other on it.

Fuckin' thing looks like a ransom note, right? Posted Image

I think that there may be a real good chance that some of the blame should get laid on the doorstep of the owner...

Granted, some of the systems on the 6.0 have proved to be a tad more fragile than we would like.... (Dwayne is gonna be all over this like hair on an ape Posted Image )... but it is this "fragility" that too many owners don't account for.

A lot of people bought these trucks - not because they needed the power... but because they're big and noisy and are a true mark of ones masculinity.

Do you know that I have been told that there is no such thing as wet stacking? Several times? But these same people can't figure out what that goo is in some peoples exhausts (and, in the case of something with an EGR valve - in the intake).

Using some reason... Joe Nutcase bought a 6.0. He drives it like a weiner... I'm talking this truck is usually empty (with a capital MT). This guy bought a "handshaker" (the sign of MANS MAN) and shifts the truck at 1400 RPM. Naturally, this is good for everything concerned... even better if we are watching the tailpipe for that beloved black smoke.

Joes cousin has a 6.0... he heard that diesel love to idle... the longer the better. This guy can often be heard saying "I NEVER let my truck idle unnecessarily". Anyway, the VGT gets crudded up and the truck has several excursions into overboost... luckily, the head bolts were designed to contain the cylinder pressures inherent to a 230 HP engine. Unfortunately, this engine has been "upgraded" (I use that term in a guarded fashion)to 300+ ponies... bringing cylinder pressures dangerously close to the failure point of the head bolts... and each and every excursion into overboost is just pounding nails into a coffin (or at leasta shipping container for broken parts).

Now.... I could waste everyones time be itterating all of the common concerns we all see day after day - most of which can be traced back to low combustion temps. This, AFAIK, isn't an inherent design flaw with the engine... it is a flaw with intended use.

OK, before someone trots out the "but this guy was hauling a big holiday trailer when it failed" card, let's consider what he did with the truck for the OTHER 50 weeks of the year. It sat? We've seen that this is good for them... He drove it like it was an Accord? That's just as good...

Was the 7.3 the last of the good diesels? Yes and no... Yes because HEUI injectors was the most advanced deal on them meaning there was little to go wrong from wet stacking (save the odd truck that came in sounding like a helicopter). No because they couldn't meet current emissions requirements (Gee, could that part be important.... I'm going to have a grandson in about November - grampyjim will become Grampy Jim)

With the complex technology we have coming down the pipe today, no amount of field testing is going to show all the bad things that can happen... not like real world usage, anyway. Ford used the 6.0 and the 6.4 to design a lot of known problems out of the 6.7 (ask me about mufflers freezing off) but we may see a whole new crop of problems to replace them (though I feel that transmission software *MAY* help mitigate some of the weinerisms).

At one point in time, I felt that the Ottocycle diesel was going to be the engine of the future... with gains in petrochemical technology, materials technology and engine technology.. that might still be a viable consideration... but using a much drier fuel (kerosene, perhaps) but DI gasoline engines might be the new king of the hill.

Wow... ain't he a windy bahstuhd... like guns, frying pans and the ability to procreate - not everyone should be allowed to have these - the 6.0 is in the same league. I know guys that have been through several 6.0 trucks... with NO FUCKING PROBLEMS!!!!! Not because they're lucky, but because they have an understanding of the true nature of the modern diesel engine as it pertains to "light" trucks.

That's my story.... and I'm stickin' to it

Maybe a N14 would be a good fit in a pickup truck. After all, they go a million miles in a Peterbilt, so they should be good in a small truck, right? And imagine the juice one of those things would make with the right programmer? Your manhood would just swell!

I was in Europe a while ago, and was talking to a guy from South Africa (small world). He was watching some American TV and saw the Super Dutys, Dodge Cummins, Duramaxes, etc, and said to me those trucks must have big engines, at least 4.0 liters. I said no, try at least 6.0 liters. He said why do they need such a big engine in a pickup truck. I didn't have a polite answer for him without mentioning the chrome balls hanging from the rear bumpers.

The N14 only has 465 hp and will pull 100,000 pounds. Maybe 6.0 liters and 300 hp (or whatever you have it set at) is a little overkill for a boat trailer and a case of beer?

Quote:

Fuckin' thing looks like a ransom note, right? Posted Image

Precisely!