6.0 loosing high oil pressure after egr cooler rep

Rate this topic

Hey guys, I have an 06 six o that came in with the egr cooler leaking. I replaced the egr cooler and oil cooler. When I got done I started it and moved to the wash bay to clean the engine. It did not run long and died, I started it back and it ran long enough to clean the valley out and died again. At this point I checked the oil, I added 13 quarts, I know it didnt loose that much while I was working on it. Now it will run great for awhile at idle, and all of a sudden die. When trying to start back it is building only 400 psi. This is the first time I have had this happen. Do you think it may have air in the system, the oil doesnt look aireated but if so how would I bleed the air out. Or could I have done somthing to cause a hp oil leak, I cant think of anything just changing the egr and oil cooler, but I have not many ideas right now. It has 132289 miles. Any help would be great thanks.

first of all ALWAYS change the oil when doing one of these repairs.

next It sure sounds like you introduced debris into passage for the hpop and its getting into your IPR. Pull the valve and check it. if its got a damaged screen you have debris from your oil cooler repair. you might be able to clear it by cranking it long enough with the valve out to pump the passage clean. If not you will need to pull the cooler again and get down in there to suck all the crap out.

I had this happen to me twice. I now suck out the oil cooler resevor ever time so i make sure there is no debris in to take out ipr. Which one of those was cp. I removed damaged screen then used battery to full field coil which moved valve enough to remove the piece od screen. I then replaced screen and has been back is aleast six months.

I always drain the reservoir completely when I have a cooler out, wipe it with a rag and brake clean. ALWAYS replace the screen under the oil cooler when it's out. I can count on one finger the number of screens I've seen that were not damaged when I removed them.

Even when i remove an oil cooler with no concerns to change out the gasket for a leak, i find part of the screen busted-this is on 08's with 30k on the clock. But yea i just pump up the excurvator and let it suck till ther's just air.

I always drain the reservoir completely when I have a cooler out, wipe it with a rag and brake clean. ALWAYS replace the screen under the oil cooler when it's out. I can count on one finger the number of screens I've seen that were not damaged when I removed them.

Gotcha beat here buddy! I need two fingers to count the "good used" screens Posted Image

Actually I have been pulling out in-tact screens. It used to seem as though you could bet that at least one section was gone without a trace.

To the original poster - I just had a 6.0L apart for low ICP cranking when hot. I never did find the problem on this particular truck. All of the o-rings looked okay, the pump fitting looked okay as did the regulator though it was missing the heat shield that snaps onto it. This one got all new parts and a replacement heat shield got it hot and hot soaked it about 6 times and rechecked over night - all good. Sometimes you have no choice but to throw some parts at one. I hate saying that but we all have been there.

Sometimes you have no choice but to throw some parts at one. I hate saying that but we all have been there.

I have no problem doing this when the repair is warranty, as long as I have a paper trail from Ford Hotline backing me up, so that Ford can't shove that one up my ass. Remember the 6.4L that Ford tried to shove up my ass? I'm still aching over that one!!!!!