Repair Robustness Actions?

Rate this topic

2339 - 2008-2010 6.4L - ENHANCED SHORT BLOCK AND REPAIR ROBUSTNESS PROCEDURE

AN "ENHANCED" RE-MANUFACTURED SHORT BLOCK ENGINE (6009) IS NOW AVAILABLE. THE NEW SHORT BLOCK IS BEING BUILT-UP TO A HIGHER LEVEL THAN THE PRIOR VERSION, AND CONTAINS A PACKAGE THAT INCLUDES THE MAJORITY OF THE FASTENERS AND GASKETS REQUIRED TO PROPERLY COMPLETE THE REPAIR. ALONG WITH THE ENGINE, THERE IS A INSTRUCTION SHEET THAT CONTAINS DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO PROPERLY ASSEMBLE THE RE-MANUFACTURED ENGINE. THIS INSTRUCTION SHEET ALSO INCLUDES REPAIR ROBUSTNESS ACTIONS THAT NEED TO BE FOLLOWED WHEN INSTALLING THE ENHANCED SHORT BLOCK. WARRANTY ANALYSIS INDICATES A HIGH INCIDENCE OF REPEAT REPAIRS ON VEHICLES THAT HAVE PREVIOUSLY HAD THE SHORT BLOCK REPLACED. ANALYSIS OF THE REPEAT FAILURES INDICATES THAT PERFORMING THE REPAIR ROBUSTNESS ACTIONS WILL SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE THE POTENTIAL FOR REPEAT ENGINE FAILURES.

Is there going to be a copy of said instructions out floating around somewhere? I would like a copy, if anyone's doing a shortblock right now.

Thanks fellows!

(And I'm sure Bruce would like a copy, too -- but he's probably got one already Posted Image )

I think the engine is just fine. It's the fuel delivery system that is suspect - more precisely, the water separation module for one. The high pressure system is reeeeeeealy finicky too.

They ought to come out with a robustness kit for THAT. Posted Image

I like the Airdog fuel preperator. Kind of a neat unit. Filters like crazy, takes water, aeration, and contaminants out of the fuel, has two of its own filters, in addition to the factory two filters. It also houses its own pump, and has provisions for a low pressure warning.

It's even in the (albeit, overpriced) Ford Accessories catalog. I think it prices out around $750 or so through there, most aftermarket places run it about $499-$599, if I recall rightly.

^^^

Ain't that the truth.

Greg -- This front cover, is it the same as the OE front cover? Or is it different?

There was some chatter somewhere awhile back about them changing something in the front cover (Specifically, something to do with the way the coolant inlet allowed flow to the water pump) to help aid in cavitation prevention.

The front cover cavitation worries the hell out of me, being the owner of one.

I'm currently doing a short block, but a local dealer happened to have one in stock, so I've got one of the 'old' non enhanced versions....

SSM 21481 gives a brief explanation of what we should expect to see on the 'enhanced' version.

Quote:
OASIS SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE NUMBER: 21481

MESSAGE TITLE: 2008-2010 6.4L - ENHANCED SHORT BLOCK AND REPAIR ROBUSTNESS PROCEDURE

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :

2008 - 2010 TRUCK : 00028 F-SERIES

OASIS MESSAGE :

AN "ENHANCED" RE-MANUFACTURED SHORT BLOCK ENGINE (8C3Z-6009-AARM AUTO TRANS,

8C3Z-6009-BARM MAN TRANS) IS NOW AVAILABLE. THE NEW SHORT BLOCK IS BEING

BUILT-UP TO A HIGHER LEVEL THAN THE PRIOR VERSION. THE ENHANCED SHORT BLOCK

INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS BEYOND THE PREVIOUS SHORT BLOCK BUILD LIST;

UPPER/LOWER OIL PANS, OIL PICK UP TUBE, FRONT COVER, FRONT CRANK SEAL, OIL PUMP

GEARS, OIL PUMP GEAR COVER, REAR COVER, REAR MAIN SEAL, CAM SENSOR, CRANK

SENSOR, OIL COOLER, OIL FILTER, THERMOSTATS, HEAD GASKETS, HEAD BOLTS, FUEL PUMP

TUBES, INJECTOR TUBES, FUEL FILTERS AND THE GASKETS/SEALS/FASTENERS THAT ARE

REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE ENGINE BUILD UP. INCLUDED WITH THE ENGINE IS AN

INSTRUCTION SHEET THAT INCLUDES REPAIR ROBUSTNESS ACTIONS THAT NEED TO BE

FOLLOWED WHEN INSTALLING THE ENHANCED SHORT BLOCK

Have a friend at another dealer that got one in today. Said that there was a sheet on how to clean the radiator and to clean the cac with some kind of soap. That is the only information he gave me. I guess cleaning those items make it more robust.

That's gotta be some pretty impressive soap

• 1 month later...

Got an Posted Image Enhanced Short Block comin on the truck today (supposedly)....There's still alot of parts needed to complete the repair,the engine i'm replacing came in as a no start,it was hydrolocked,found both coolers leaking,actually had coolant dripping from exhaust tips,that CANT be good for the DPF...it's an '08 with 60,300 miles with a loud knock AND oil sprays on the d/s fender (from dipstick tube) at idle...it had a #8 piston put in at 38,000,along with coolers at another dealer...I pulled the pistons out and found some spun bearings and oblongated cylinder walls along with worn rings (suprised no pistons were burnt)... but with the fuel system as finicky as it is and the fact that's it's a 6.4 Posted Image has one worry if everything will run and work correctly when all is said and done...hope this doesn't sound like whining,but the 6.4 ('08 in particular) is a big damn can of worms way too often...

Wonder what the warranty time will be for the more robust block swap...probly not gonna be pretty Posted Image

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

just got done doing my first 6.4L short block. The engineers must have got alot of death threats because i neve seen so many gaskets come with a engine. The only thing it didnt come with was downtube gasket and clamps, motor mount bolts, flexplate bolts, coolant and oil. i'll try to type up the bill of material list it came with. Even had a motorcraft fuel filter set!