Seized EGR Valves

Rate this topic

I know, I know, this is not new to most of you but it's my first seized valve. It actually broke when the puller let loose cause it doesn't fit right at the left front. I was using the new beefed up puller.

Once I got the housing off I still couldn't get it out mush less even move. So the truck got a new housing too. Now I recall Ford stating they weren't gong to pay for new housings with EGR valve claims. Scuse me? I took pics and printed them to add to the file. We shall see.

Posted Image

I had to grind our one puller ear down so that it would fit properly. Works pretty good now. But we still see lots of them friggin housings break. Them bastards better pay up, we didn't build this shit. We're just trying to hold the front lines.

Them friggin Warranty Nazi Bastards. Dammit Keith! You got me going again! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I did my first one yesterday. It was a little slow on the schedule so I took my time putting the tool together. The tool locked in well and as I put the pressure on I walked it up with an air chisel. It came out fairly smooth. So, I was surprised to see the valve upper stayed together but the "snout" had broken free and remained lodged in the mixing bowl bore. The amount of carbon and corrosion between the bore and "snout" leads me to believe most times it will be a waste to use the tool. Replacing the valve and mixing bowl will be the norm. This was an '08 with 75K miles.

• 2 weeks later...

no i havent, i dont have any pullers like that. i guess that would be nice but usually the valve and stem breaks off and stays down there too so couldnt really get a bite with a puller. i just break one side of the valve and it usually come right out then. i would say ive done about 10 and showed the other 6 diesel guys i work with the way i do it and so far havent had any problems with it.

• 1 month later...

I've had luck doing it with and with out the pullers. The old style puller was junk and the first one I ever did I ended up using an air chisel. But the updated puller seems to work decent. Just have to take it slow and tap the valve/bowl while adding pressure to the puller.

What really gets me about all of this, is why would the engineers design this component to have such a tight clearance. They had to have realized that this system builds up carbon. As was clearly seen with the 6.0L. So lets make it fit nice and snug so that the first bit of carbon will bind it up tight!

• 2 weeks later...

pulled one out with the new style puller today. worked good but this truck only had 38k and the valve wasn't that gaulded in there

had one problem with the nut backing out but i loctited it on the rod and it stayed. the old puller has the end stripped out so i'm gonna tack a nut on there for a back up

Posted Image

OMG-600.gif

• 10 months later...

Old Ssm 0980 - 6.4l egr removal tool damage concerns some 6.4l egr (303-1267) tools may experience a stripped bearing retaining nut. If the nut becomes damaged during egr valve removal, inspect the threaded forcing screw for damage as well and call rotunda for replacement components at 1-800-rotunda (768-8632) and choose option #5 at the prompt. During tool re-assembly remember to use loc-tite 262 and note that it is a left hand thread. Please make sure that the pilot cup turns freely after re-assembly as well.

I've got TKIT-303-1267-UPD for the PN, $431.00. This is the updated legs, forcing screw, spacer, washers, etc.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...