NOX sensor

Rate this topic

In the last month I have seen 5 trucks with code P164A, all diag tests show no faults, hotline guidence is also a let down

We have tried a new module and sensor with no change, after the road test the code comes back,and later the light comes on.

I'm really not sure what step to take at the moment. any sugestions

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to drive the vehicle for a minimum of 25 miles for the DTC to clear. Don't worry, it dosen't tell you that in the PCED, workshop manual, SSM, or TSB. Clear all DTC's, drive for over 25 miles, said DTC should be gone. Been there, done that.

Thank you sir!

I even used Oasis quick start and it didn't show that tsb for my code Posted ImagePosted Image

Your code (P164A) doesn't relate to that TSB... neither does the one that will soon join it (P2A00).

You will find that the part is updated (new part number) and our partsmonger cannot give me a delivery date. We are seeing a lot of these....

Excellent... More labor ops for me Posted Image

It's too bad I actually went through all the motions. It sounds like this may be the 6.7's equivalent of the DPFE if you know what I mean.

Have you read through PPT RD? What I get out of the tree for P164A - if the NOX module has power and ground, replace the sensor.

Now.... if you replace the sensor because of a P207F, you do one thing... If you replaced the sensor because of any other codes, you do something different. I'm sure there is some logic there... but it escapes me...

FWIW.... you need to read RD10 very carefully because it was written so poorly....

Sidebar... Even Ford has fallen into that trap where they can't reconcile "then" and "than". Please, guys.... "I would rather buy him lunch <than> give him a blow job" reads a LOT different from "I would rather buy him lunch <then> give him a blow job"....

Just sayin'.....

• 2 weeks later...

BROADCAST MESSAGES 1/19/2011

2818 - 6.7L DIESEL - MIL DTC(S) P164A AND/OR P2A00 - ENGINEERING INVESTIGATION

SOME 6.7L DIESEL EQUIPPED VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ILLUMINATION AND DTC(S) P164A AND/OR P2A00 BEING STORED. THIS MAY BE MORE COMMON IN AREAS EXPERIENCING VERY LOW AMBIENT TEMPERATURES OR HEAVY SNOW FALLS. INSPECT THE AIR FILTER MINDER FOR RESTRICTION INDICATION AND REPAIR AS NECESSARY. IF NO OTHER DTC'S ARE SET AND NO DRIVEABILITY CONCERNS ARE PRESENT, PERFORM NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS. IF DIAGNOSTICS LEAD TO NOX SENSOR REPLACEMENT, DO NOT REPLACE THE NOX SENSOR AT THIS TIME. IF ADDITIONAL DTC'S ARE STORED, PERFORM NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS AND REPAIR AS DIRECTED. ENGINEERING IS AWARE OF THE CONCERN FOR MIL DTC'S P164A AND/OR P2A00 AND CURRENTLY WORKING ON A CALIBRATION UPDATE. MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES.

Sidebar... Even Ford has fallen into that trap where they can't reconcile "then" and "than". Please, guys.... "I would rather buy him lunch <than> give him a blow job" reads a LOT different from "I would rather buy him lunch <then> give him a blow job"....

Just sayin'.....

ROFL That is the funniest thing ever!!!

I've got one here with a p164A too. I guess we'll just wait for Ford to figure it out.

• 1 month later...

Have first 6.7 in bay now. Codes P012f, p0133, p164a, p2a00 koeo, passes koer. p012f and p0133 ppt states diag other codes first, ssm to 21690 states under investigation. So do i disregard p012f and p0133 too. will contact hotline

• 1 month later...

Well folks. I have my first one here with P164a set and went through PPT RD up to step RD10. No later calibration available as of yet (my IDS is up to version 72.02). The problem with this one, it operates in engine idle only mode, so we can't release it back to the customer.

Odd that it's in idle only. We have a lot here and all they do is reduce power while the light is on. Are you sure it's not out of DEF or the sensor thinks it is?

Odd that it's in idle only. We have a lot here and all they do is reduce power while the light is on. Are you sure it's not out of DEF or the sensor thinks it is?

Well, two Hotline engineers are stumped with this one, as am I. Both as well as one of my "go to" guys have also informed me that a P164a by itself SHOULD NOT put this vehicle into "idle only" mode. And yes, I've already checked the DEF level and verified the vehicle has the latest calibration update (as of IDS version 72.02). According to the customer, he states that vehicle will accelerate from a stop and feel like it's in neutral, meaning engine speed will increase with throttle response, but no increase in vehicle speed.

Well, the FSE is now involved with the one I'm working on. I've been informed that the new calibration is to be released at latest by the end of the week, if not by tomorrow. In the mean time, I've been instructed to replace the NOx sensor (despite PPT RD10 checking out good). What now concerns them, is the loss of accelerator control of engine that has happened twice with this truck since it showed up on our doorstep yesterday morning.

We've also been instructed NOT to release the vehicle back to the customer, and I've been instructed to drive it home until I can recreate the symptom again with IDS connected to take a "snapshot" of all the PIDs. When it occured yesterday, I noticed APP 1, APP D and APP E all showed a change during full sweep of the throttle, but APP 2 remained at 0.41 volts. Shutting the engine down and restarting it about three times was all it took to restore accelerator control of engine speed (along with APP 2 to read again). It did this TWICE with only P164a set. Apparently mine is only the fourth such reported case of this happening.

The "brake over accelerator" feature is BS by the way, because I attempted it today, with the FSE riding shotgun and IDS in his lap.