What do you listen to at work?

Rate this topic

lmorris

About 75% of the techs here have MP3 players hooked up to speakers or computers, one guy has satelite radio hooked up also. For the most part I had to listen to whatever everyone else is listening to, most of which was not my listening favorites. Last week I got me a new laptop, curtousy of my manager because sales can't do SYNC updates through Windows 7, so he gave it to me to use for IDS etc. It has a nice webcam, hence the recent photos, and a decent set of speakers.

Back to my reason for this post...Now I can listen to my favorite radio station over the interweb...Sonic 102.9 out of Edmonton AB, Canada. Modern rock plus some good oldies from the 90's and The Beastie Boys thrown in.

Satellite radio is all I'll listen to. It's great that they have no commercials and the DJ's don't talk to much. You can listen to any type of music you are in the mood for. I listen to hard rock, classic rock, modern rock, blues, classic country, and bluegrass.

We all have computers in our bays, so anything can be accessed for our listening pleasure. It ranges widely and depends on the surrounding techs moods that are within earshot. Mornings usually start off with alternative or grunge and afternoons switch over to metal. Country is absolutely not an option, silence will rule the airwaves before it comes to that.

I'm pretty sure my shop was built with lead walls reinforced with straw. The lead keeps out all the good music and the straw allows only country to come in. The only station we can obtain on our stereo is country music, and unfortunately thats all we listen too. The same 20 songs 5 times a day.

I do have Sirius and Rhapsody subscriptions, but no speakers connected to the computers, and none to be found anywheres in the dealer. And I havent gotten around to buying my own yet. Money has other places to be used.

Quote:
The same 20 songs 5 times a day.
Posted Image
At my old dealer, we had a guy that would bring in his own selection on Saturdays and crank the shit out of it. Let me tell ya the only thing worse than Willie Nelson is.......Willie Nelson live. Posted Image

I think I'd rather listen to country than what they used to listen to where I used to work. Heavy duty rap, cop killa music. He was repeatedly told by mgmt to shut it off, and everyone else in the shop kept asking/telling him to kill it. It only got louder.

Needless to say, I got a couple of forced days off after I took my largest prybar to the arsheole's radio that kept blasting that crap. I wasn't the only one that wanted to do it. He got fired though.

Currently I listen to a local rock station. I'm isolated enough in the building that everyone can listen to what they want, without it carrying from area to area.

Only radio is the one on my toolbox. Alternative/grunge or classic rock is all that comes out of the speakers

Most of the rock stations around here have a lot of overlap so it's all pretty much the same stuff. Occassionally someone will put on country and hide my remote just to mess with me. I cannot even bare a little country music

Our bandwidth is maxxed out so internet sourced tunes are no longer possible. Up until then, my choice would be 96.3 in Edmonchuk or 60s on 06 on Sirius. When it was left to me I would try to mix things up to a point (wireless speakers for all to hear).

If I got too much lip, I would threaten to bring in my George and Tammy CDs.

For some of this newer stuff I do have to say I may not know music... but I do know shit when I hear it Posted Image

We have our shop computer hooked to a stereo unit, several speakers throughout the shop. Mostly listen to cj92 ( rock, old and new) out of Calgary, the odd time koolfm or jack fm from calgary as well.

Our bandwidth is maxxed out so internet sourced tunes are no longer possible. Up until then, my choice would be 96.3 in Edmonchuk or 60s on 06 on Sirius. When it was left to me I would try to mix things up to a point (wireless speakers for all to hear).

If I got too much lip, I would threaten to bring in my George and Tammy

For some of this newer stuff I do have to say I may not know music... but I do know shit when I hear it Posted Image

Nothing wrong with a little George to mix it up !

our shop uses sonicwall to block "unwanted" web surfing.

Streaming music/mp3 is not aloud, but it's ok to view videos on YouTube?!?!

Doesn't make sense to me, other than the bandwith issue it might pose, but I can set my computer to play lists of music videos off of YouTube, but I can't get into my favorite music streaming sites.