5.4L 3v low oil pressure

Rate this topic

I got a wicked one right now, it's an 08 with 102k miles. I have p0012, p0340, p0344, p0345 all cmdtc's and no koer codes. The check engine light is on and is running rough with valvetrain noise. I pulled the cam sensor on bank 2 to have a look and it is full of metal sludge, i wiped it off and the plastic is all funky and scratchy as the right side is fine. The vct pids are even at idle and acceleration. It has a cassite oil filter, the oil is a quart and a half over filled but it looks recently changed.

Im letting it cooldown so i can do some testing.

15 psi at idle and the engine is still hot. Im im leaving the guage on it and testing it in the morning. Valve cover will be coming off also. I suspect the left head is only at fault for now but i wont want to get burned so im problobly going to recomend an engine. Fix one side and the next goes out a few weeks later-we all know that story.

Also i grounded the signal wires at the solenoids, the right went 60 and the left went to 65. After grounding the left solenoid and shutting it down and restarting the engine noise and rough running returns(it smoothes out after running for a while-forgot to mention)but is ok for the right side.

Also going to test drive with a not so responsive power ballance test with my auto enginuity.

Is lack of maintance causing these problems? All of my 06 fleet have 150k or more with no issues. Use 15-40 and motorcraft filters every 5k.

I have seen similar electrical problems on my Super Duty fleet. There is a dedicated ground that runs from control module to pump also tee's off to frame ground further forward. Ground green and fuzzy inside 3 layers of insulation. Causes them to quit on rainy days intermittently. Posted Image

• 2 months later...

We dont see nearly as many 5.4 3v engine problems in super duty right. I firmly beleive its b/c the superduty has an oil cooler. We have one customer with an 06 s-d 5.4, that has 515,000 (at last visit) on the odo, gets an oilchange every 20k or so, and has never had a single engine problem.

I run 5/30 in the winter and 5/40 in the summer in my own f-150, both synthetic.

They have winter in BC????? (Lived just outside Ladner 57ish to 64ish and Whiterock 66ish - winter meant not cutting the grass so often).

I've been running 5W20 in my 2V engine with no concerns - I do think the timing chain tensioners are a big part of the headache.

We have a pretty nice 07 f-150 at work with an oil pressure related engine noise and driveability concern. Traded a guy out of it, I can buy it for around 4 grand. Its one of those 50th aniversary trucks. Considering it for a winter project, repair and re-sell, what do you guys think?

And Jim, I am only an hour from the alberta border, 2.5 hrs west of calgary.We have winter here, probably not quite as bad as yours!