Guess The Failure!

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I am going to have to go with one or more lifters coming apart

We have a winner! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

A 2007 E450 6.0L - the #3 intake lifter roller failed and ground away on the camshaft. The lifter is permanently stuck in the block. I had found throughout the engine including the oil cooler reservoir which had a HPOP inlet screen with missing panels. This was the paint dipped FQR job I posted about.

No mousse Bruce.

Holy cow, a 5 head banger! Posted Image

Do you need my address to send my prize, or do you want to use paypal? Posted Image

Speaking of paypal, bonus points to anyone who can tell me what paypal's original web address was. Gonna have to be some way back internet purchasing folks on here to get it, unless you just cheat and google it. Posted Image

A 2007 E450 6.0L - the #3 intake lifter roller failed and ground away on the camshaft. The lifter is permanently stuck in the block. I had found throughout the engine including the oil cooler reservoir which had a HPOP inlet screen with missing panels.

Just curious as to how you were able to pinpoint which cam lobe/lifter this was. Since I believe #3 would not be visible with either the heads or the oil cooler removed, how much further teardown was required, until you could actually see the damage? We all know how much I just LOVE working on E-Series to begin with, I couldn't even imagine how much work was involved R & R'ing the engine, let alone the teardown once the engine is out.

On this topic, WHAT (if anything) can/should be recommended to prevent (or reduce) the possibility of this particular failure besides regular oil changes? Any particular grade would be best?

Was this particular vehicle even running when it showed up on your doorstep, Keith?

Just curious as to how you were able to pinpoint which cam lobe/lifter this was. Since I believe #3 would not be visible with either the heads or the oil cooler removed, how much further tear down was required, until you could actually see the damage?

Diagnostics and experience. The bus was a crank no start. No ICP caused by no base oil pressure. This led me to inspect the oil pressure regulator which was stuck in the bore. Next step was to access and remove the oil pump which had the tell-tale heavy scoring of the front cover and the impressions of a needle bearing on the gerotor pump. I also had a misfire DTC and an injector circuit DTC for injector #3 which which I eventually discovered was cased by the rocker failing from piston contact of the valves and bent push rod that broke the wiring off of the injector. Once I got the engine out and apart all I had to do to visually confirm the failure was to use our boreoscope. Nuff said.

Originally Posted By: mchan68
On this topic, WHAT (if anything) can/should be recommended to prevent (or reduce) the possibility of this particular failure besides regular oil changes? Any particular grade would be best?

I am not sure this failure is preventable. What would cause a roller lifter bearing to fail in an engine with relatively low mileage (41,000 miles) and appeared to be well maintained? The engine was spotless other than the metal debris throughout.

Originally Posted By: mchan68
Was this particular vehicle even running when it showed up on your doorstep, Keith?

The bus was towed in, dead batteries, axle shafts out and leaking all over the wheels. Some towing companies really suck. It was dropped off and left that way. When disassembling the engine there were signs that this truck had been sitting. Rust accumulation in the turbo and on some of the valves and cylinders heads. No, there was no indication of water ingestion.

Ah, lifters have been failing on Ford's V-8 diesels since '83. Nothing new, just the large number on the road, gonna see a percentage crap out. Them things are in a tough environment. They have to deal with pesky stuck valve trains, extreme pressures, low RPM-low oil circulation on cold start ups, oil diluted at a 50/50 ratio with diesel fuel, and all kindsa brutal stuff.

We all know how much I just LOVE working on E-Series to begin with, I couldn't even imagine how much work was involved R & R'ing the engine, let alone the teardown once the engine is out.

Replaced one not to long ago. Driver's valve cover must be removed(so you can slide engine over to the driver's side), along with turbo,oil pan and both motor mounts.

It is easier to remove both valve covers and both of the high pressure oil rails and leave the oil pan on the engine. The engine comes out and goes back in nicely. The oil rails install easily with the pan sitting on the crossmember.

I should try it that way. Everyone i did with manifols on.

Then again i hope i never have to pull a diesel on an eseries ever again.

I leave the oilpan on and remove the drainplug it slides right in.

Two 6.4s in a week with blown roller lifters, at least the 6.0l had enough sense to stop running when the LP pump grenades after digesting the needle bearings. On one there is so much of the bottom of the lifter missing that the pushrod fell into the valley. When the wicked popping from the intake started thats when someone finally figured something might be wrong.