I think I'd rather work at McDonald's...

Rate this topic

Alex Bruene

So, I peruse a few job sites on a daily basis... along with being on countless e-mail lists from recruiters and such... Not that I'm looking for a new job (again), but rather than to not miss hearing the knock of opportunity...

Any-hooters, the amount of postings that I see for "Licensed Mechanics" that pay between $15 and $20 per hour boggles my mind... Are we not worth more than that? What kind of "qualified" techs are you going to get for that kind of cake? Is it just me that thinks that rate of pay is extremely low? $31200 per year? Would you like fries with that? Posted Image

Businesses have gotten waaayyy too greedy. Door rates have gone through the roof and the labor rates have become sub standard. Now they try to bring in all these cheap laborers that could fuck up the Lords prayer and in the end cost these business a shit load of money in fuck ups. I see it in all the shops these days. What ever happened to 1/3 of the door rate as a guideline for a certified base Journeyman?

I just had my International in at the International Dealership before the new year for my Commercial Vehicle Inspection. These fucking foreigners can't even figure out that you should put the really nice painted rims back on the outside of the rear duals and not the shitty looking steel non painted rims on the outside. These fuckers have no attention span for detail. Our Labor force is going to hell in a hand basket. From now on, I will be demanding qualified people to work on my truck when it is in for an inspection. At least I do most of the repair work myself. It's when I need an inspection done that I have to worry about substandard people working on my truck. Welcome to the new age of low low standards.

postings that I see for "Licensed Mechanics" that pay between $15 and $20 per hour boggles my mind... Are we not worth more than that? What kind of "qualified" techs are you going to get for that kind of cake?

Why do businesses offer positions at that pay? The answer is simple- because there's guys willing to work at that rate.

Posted Image

Originally Posted By: AlexBruene

postings that I see for "Licensed Mechanics" that pay between $15 and $20 per hour boggles my mind... Are we not worth more than that? What kind of "qualified" techs are you going to get for that kind of cake?

Why do business offer positions at that pay? The answer is simple- because there's guys willing to work at that rate.

Posted Image

Yes and no. Yes people are willing to work but how many of those people have no other option and a shitty paying job is better then no paying job? On the other hand I think alot of business or dealerships for that matter have lost the mentality of taking care of their techs. It has become a revolving door in the shop with guys coming and going every couple years. They see it as we can just find another guy willing to work here and put up with our shit until they get fed up with it and leave. I really think this industry has lost its way with customer satisfaction. The customer drives our business and no one else. Its starts with the customer and ends with the customer. However with the way the system works it drives the employees to focus on looking out for themselves and not the customer. If a dealership was willing to take care of their techs/employees, pay them a rightful wage for their skill, and support them in day to day operations then you would see a great increase in customer satisfaction. With that said we cant blame just the dealers, alot of times as we all know ford gets us by the balls too....

Come on over to Williston ND, you start at $15/hour at the McDonalds here because of the oil activity. Mickey D'z, Arbys, Taco Johns, etc all have signs up hiring, and start in the 10-15/hour range minimum no matter what position you take because most people are going to oilfield paying $25-30/hr starting, so they have to pay higher wages to compete with the oilfield here.

Quote:
However with the way the system works it drives the employees to focus on looking out for themselves and not the customer. If a dealership was willing to take care of their techs/employees, pay them a rightful wage for their skill, and support them in day to day operations then you would see a great increase in customer satisfaction. With that said we cant blame just the dealers, alot of times as we all know ford gets us by the balls too....

Thats exactly how I'm beginning to feel.

We were just informed today that we will not be getting paid for any ro's until the customer or ford have paid the dealer. Talk about a no lose situation for the dealer.

We were just informed today that we will not be getting paid for any ro's until the customer or ford have paid the dealer. Talk about a no lose situation for the dealer.

You should phone your labor board on that one Chris. I am pretty darn sure that is illegal and I would walk if anyone ever pulled that on me. In fact, I have. You could phone Jim and have a job in real hurry. You can go anywhere for that matter. What the hell are they thinking? Are they trying to change their name to Closing The Doors Ford?

I remember a couple years back my dealer was trying to pull that bs as well. They where having alot of claims kicked due to lack of supporting docs from the tech. Instead of trying to educate the guys in how the warranty system worked they pulled out their big stick and wanted to hold everyone's hours until the job got paid for. There was such a uprising it wasn't even funny which made them think twice about such a retarded idea.....

Lately, I've been copping a REAL attitude with asshole situations where vehicles are brought in, with the expectation by the customer that the job will be covered under warranty. I have been playing the NO PAY NO PLAY attitude where I'm being asked to road test a vehicle to duplicate a particular symptom (that I believe to be caused by customer stupidity), or where I'm asked to disassemble an engine to a particular point in order to find the "root cause" of a failure. In the latter of the two situations, I won't even open the hood unless I get some kind of SATISFACTORY confirmation that I will be paid, regardless of the end result of the repair.

If I'm working, I'm getting paid. Period. Dealer getting paid? Not my problem. I'm producing, you ball-scratching sink fuckers can pay me.

They told me that was the way it was going to be? I'd go work elsewhere.

Im assuming were talking flat rate here, which Im a little naive to being an hourly tech. What is common flat rate pay for an experienced and certified flat rate tech?

Im currently at $19/hr, with 3 years of experience, but I am getting 8+ hours a day guaranteed.

Here is AZ average is about $25hr for a senior master with diesel cert,ASE and experience. My last dealer I was at $29 which was above normal but we did alot of HD work(cat,cummins,etc)

I usually gauge it by how many red lights your town has, mine has 2....that's right 2 whole red lights. You can guess that I am making a killing. Posted Image

The town I live in has no red lights, but the city I work in has a few thousand. I guess that's relative.

Dealers around here (that I know of/have heard of) pay anywhere from the low 20's to the mid 40's for licensed flat-rate techs. It is the indi shops that are paying in the teens. I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for.

I have read thru the bc labour act, and I'm pretty sure it is illegal, but they dont make alot of mention of flat rate or peice work in their literature. I'm just waiting to see what happens. In reading the labour act I found that they dont pay us holiday pay correctly either.

Funny you should mention Jim, I got a job posting emailed to me from some recruitng firm out of Edmonton, for a job listing in slave lake. Didnt have many specifics, but sure sounded like it was at SL Ford. I dont particularily want to move, might have to go back to the indy world....

Is Walter in Revy or Salmon arm? they run two stores. Revy is an hour and a half away, but thru the rogers pass. Apparantly they dont pay very well, top guy (10+ years) is around $26/hr. Nice new store in revy though. Not really into moving at the moment if I can help it.

• 2 weeks later...