6.4 engine replacement in an ambulance

Rate this topic

Gonna get my chance. They just delivered the complete engine today. Looks like I'm not going to get to lift the cab.I looked at the step by step for body on engine removal in the WSM.......GEEZ!Any advice?

Have done a couple this way, all in all not that bad of a job. I removed the front 2 body mount bolts, and was able to lift the front of the cab up enough to twist and turn the motor out. Good luck !!

Just curious, why would you NOT want to lift the cab? Even more so, is if you're doing a complete engine, which I assume you mean includes turbos and engine harness, correct?

Owner here switched jobs like that to Straight Time And Materials. Haven't seen one here in a while. Thank Goodness!

You men from the Great White North can have them all.

We get paid straight time from Ford to do them, as long as your documentation is correct. I got 36 hours to replace a high pressure fuel pump on one. Problem is, I don't come to work to make 8 hours a day.

I'd raise the front of the cab like mentioned in the thread about replacing the left y-pipe since there's a bunch of wiring to mess with. I use this method to do high pressure pumps and/or complete fuel systems if there is any add on stuff that's in the way but I haven't had to pull an engine that way yet but it shouldn't be to hard, it looks like there would be enough room to pull the engine out without removing the turbos or oil pan.

• 1 month later...

I was able to get one out complete without raising front of cab. Just have to remove engine mounts and roll it out.

With the turbos still on? Posted Image