Block / Head Cleaning

Rate this topic

ETS

Even at the new dealer 6.0's are still haunting me. Have very low milage 06 dually with head gasket issues. They have decided to repair and not wholesale.

Heads are sent out and probably replaced. Along with coolers etc.... Block is crusty mess. Up until now I have only used a razor blade scraper and carefully cleaned blocks.

Does anyone use a rotary tool of any type to clean surfaces?

Suggestions are greatly appriciated.

What about that bar tool with metal sutface cleaner??

I use scotchbright pads by hand for the final clean after

carefully scraping the high stuff off with a paint scraper.

Air chisel is temptation... I have used those 3m pads in the past. Good idea, Non abrasive for the most part with light pressure. But they are hard to find up here. Will mail order some.

Thanks All, Lots of good ideas.

I strongly recommend against any kind of rotary tool on blocks as they shed abrasive material which gets in bad places, causing bearing failures. This goes back decades- all mfr's put out TSBs years ago saying not to use them, and denying any kind of warranty if they saw swirl marks. In my shop I'd allow them on parts that could be washed afterwards on the bench but not on head surfaces (either head or block). I like soft (brass) scrapers along with solvent/brakecleen/gasket remover, depending on what works best.

Posted Image

I use a brass scraper with brake clean. Then finish off with a scotchbrite pad.

Let me clarify something. I use the large square scotchbrite pads, not the small rotary ones. I then blow the crap out of the coolant passages in the heads to get the little bits out. You don't have to get mid-evil with the scotchbrite pad, but sometimes I get some crap in the passages.

I agree NO ROLOCK pads. I have seen first hand what that residue does to bearings. You can't get it all cleaned out of block passages. The "dingle ball" pads are all we were allowed to use under GM warranty.

Ended up using scraper and metal surface cleaner. Finished up with scotch brite hand pad and brakeleen.

Thanks, Again

• 2 weeks later...